Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

March 8th - What’s your vote? **Mod Note In Post #677**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

Voting NO for both

I'll be voting No for both,

What on earth is a 'Durable Relationship' ?? How do you describe that. I know what they are are getting at but if your having a 'durable relationship' unknown to your marriage partner , then this durable person could end up getting half of your estate if you die?? lol Bit of a joke in the wording,

Reminds me of the NICE treaty....We didn't get that right the first time....🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭lightspeed

I am voting NO (family amendment)

Has it been confirmed what will the effect be on assets of co-habiting couples?

Ie. House in one person's name, unmarried with children and relationship breaks up. Does the other partner have a right to the house or split of sales proceeds if sold?

I would assume the above would be a durable relationship. So in effect are all non married couples co habitting now pretty much married once this amendment is passed and enacted?

There looks to be a shocking lack of clarity on what changes will result from this amendment passing.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭KevMayo88

Voting NO for both

Pissing away €23 million on two nonsense referendums that won't improve anyone's lives will always be shameful.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Endeavour and strive are synonyms, but support and ensure are different.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,457 ✭✭✭This is it

Voting NO for both

I'll be voting no/no. I've read various articles and opinion pieces, listened to the debate last night, and while I don't think McEntee did as badly as some are making out, she certainly didn't convince me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Voting NO for both

That is a very accurate take on it.

Prime Time on Tuesday, Michael Martin kept referring to a lady who appeared in a video who advocated for a yes vote to the family amendment. Let's call her Mary. He kept saying "Mary this, Mary that" and wouldn't answer any direct questions relating to facts, such as what is a Durable Relationship.

Then last night on The Tonight Show, Helen McEntee consistently said how disappointing it will be if a no vote is passed as many people will wake up on Saturday thinking they aren't families. When McDowell presented her with a cold hard case of 2 women trying to claim visas in Ireland on the back of a durable relationship, McEntee had no answer (despite her name as Minister for Justice being listed on the court documents).

Ignore the emotion on this. Let government try again in a few years with a properly presented argument.

Hopefully this will be no/no.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Voting NO for both

Michael McDowell described it as chaos.

Voting NO for both

Last night McEntee regurgitated several times the trite soundbite that "there are many different families- I don't want any child to wake up Saturday morning and think we don't recognise their family in the constitution"...wtf?

I don't know about anyone else, but the only thing that will worry my kid on Saturday morning is whether we have Frosties while he watches The Octonauts. I mean, I guess can ask him if he's worried about his family being recognised in the constitution.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

Voting NO for both

Who made up the wording...Then the Ministers cant even answer questions on it...JOKE

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Voting YES for both

They won't be successful. This is nonsense and lies.

Any supreme court case would have to look at the legislatures intention.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭tarvis

And now on the 1 o’clock news is all about Saturday morning and waking up - seems there is only a single script Yes and it’s being used by all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Voting NO for both

Peader Tobin very clear , concise , eloquent he is wiping the floor with OGorman.

OGorman doesn't even know what his own referendum is about. We have coalition contradicting each other Left right and centre when a micro phone is put in front of them.

Yes voters be careful what you vote for.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I am voting YES (care amendment)

I have changed my mind from Yes to No based off the debates. The government haven't a clue what they are doing, as always. This referendum is also letting them off the hook on more important topics like RTE.

That said, it pains me to vote the same way as Iona. Those freaks creep me out.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Voting NO for both

How do you know? How do you know what precidents may or may not be set if the "durable relationship" concept becomes constitutional? Micheal McDowell laid out many scenarios in the debate last night whereby there will be legal confusion around what is to constitute a "durable relationship". If passed, this amendment will undoubtedly be used by many to further their own ends- some legitimate, and others completely spurious.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,374 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Voting NO for both

Whether you agree with Peader Tobin or not, at least he has been visible during the campaign. He has made many media appearances, and participated in several debates. O'Gorman, as the chief architect of these referendums should have been everywhere and doing everything he could to present his case to the electorate. Instead, he went to ground and is doing one radio debate an hour before the moratorium. How can this be acceptable from him?

Voting NO for both

Agreed. I have never voted Aountu and Peader isn't in my constitutuancy, but vert tempted to give them a vote in local elections based off Tobins recent performances in media

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

Voting YES for both

So it’s Yes - Yes from

FF, FG, Labour, Greens, Sinn Fein, Social Dems.

Its a No - No from

Catholic Church, Aontu, Fringe/trouble makers/wind up merchants.

The new wording may not be perfect but it’s better than what is there at present.

Personally, I tend to lean towards voting Yes in any referendum. The constitution needs to evolve and modernise. My dead grandparents are not the ones who should be shaping the present. Likewise my viewpoints will be old hat when my unborn grandchildren are running the show. They should feel free to change the constitution to suit their world.

Voting NO for both

Even if the change has potentillay negative consequences that noone knows ? Also what is a durable relationship because the cabinet don't seem to know.

Voting YES for both

If there was a supreme court challenge on what defines a durable relationship they would have to examine the Dail and Seanad debate.

Cases to recognise polygamy would be thrown out.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Voting NO for both

He can be considered universal

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Voting NO for both

He can considered universal. It can be taken as male/female in that context.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

Voting YES for both

Potentially negative consequences that no one knows about?

Id never get out of bed in the morning if I lived my life like that.

Voting NO for both

So u just vote on something that you don't know about , got it.

Voting NO for both

The govs whole argument now is resorting to emotional blackmail they are all trotting out " think of the children this Sunday if it's a no vote" pretty pathetic tactic

• Registered Users Posts: 19,409 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Voting NO for both

Desperation level still FG alright: they obviously can see it is going to be a No

Voting NO for both

"Personally, I tend to lean towards voting Yes in any referendum" - good boy.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Voting NO for both

Be interesting to see how the result is compared to boards poll

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭scottser

Abstaining

Abstain.

It's a well meaning referendum that was intended to mask over decades of government intransigence and neglect but ended up in a badly-communicated clusterfuck. I still can't see any real positives to the changes as described so I'm pretty ambivalent about it. Besides, my polling station is 20 miles away and I'm not arsed going near the M50 on a Friday.

Pretty surprised to see the No vote is so strong - I wasn't expecting that tbh

Advertisement