Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

March 8th - What’s your vote? **Mod Note In Post #677**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

Voting NO for both

Think to yourself that you are voting with a very large group of carers who work 24/7 365 days of the year. Family Carers Ireland, who we believed were our representative group, wont even allow debate on the subject on their Facebook page.

Glad you’ve changed your mind 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

Voting YES for both

I was commenting on “potentially negative consequences that nobody knows about”.

of course there may be potentially positive consequences that nobody knows about either. It is better to base your vote on known facts rather than ‘what might be’ or conjecture.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

Voting YES for both

Thank you - I like change 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭KevMayo88

Voting NO for both

There has been nothing to stop the government to put in place proper financial and institutional supports for carers to this very day, and it is insulting for them to insinuate that passing the care referendum will somehow mean a flood of new supports will become available upon passing the amendment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Voting NO for both

If its low turn out it will be a no as no side seem more adamant, most people will be apathetic and won't vote

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dmakc

Voting NO for both

I think part of the reason the government are so bloody awful in these debates is that they probably didn't anticipate either referendum being this close i.e. why even need defend it?

People have an unconditional bias towards voting "Yes" without having a clue on what they're voting for (as a poster here just admitted) - "change is good" / "progress" / fixing something that was broken etc. etc., I reckon this bias gives "Yes" a +5% advantage out the gate, so if a No even edges it, this should be considered an absolute hiding to this shambles of a government.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,854 ✭✭✭✭Sadb

Voting YES for both

What protections do carers get now, that will be removed if this is voted through?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,889 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Voting YES for both

Looking at the opposite though, will passing this mean supports being removed? Or preventing supports being added?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Although it's worth noting that Peader has been very careful about reigning in his pro life, anti abortion rants during these media appearances.

Voting NO for both

“There is a lack of guidance from the courts on how the word ‘strive’ will be interpreted. Although the term is used in Article 45.1 of the Constitution in relation to the promotion of the welfare of the people as a whole, this forms part of the Directive Principles of Social Policy, which are expressly stated to be non-justiciable. There is therefore uncertainty as to the likely meaning and effect of an obligation to 'strive' to support the provision of care in a new Article 42B and whether, in its interpretation by the courts, it would be regarded as imposing a more onerous obligation than an obligation to ‘endeavour’”

AG Rossa Fanning written advice to O'Gorman, published today in The Ditch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Yes for the care one. Both genders should be treated exactly the same as careers under the constitution.

No for the family / "durable relationships" one. It will lead to confusion and I can't really see the point. Surely marriage is still an important thing, we spent long enough fighting for gay marriage. But mostly No due to the confusing and loose definition.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,258 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Abstaining

Screw the church and their No stance. But also screw the govt and "progressive" posers pushing Yes.

I don't care enough to dive into the pros and cons, and I don't have a background in legal practice. Not my job. Maybe have a clear cut referendum on housing or health.... you know things that matter. No, thought not.

So still staying out of this and having a few pints instead.

So how would you word a referendum on housing, or health for that matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,258 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

But you suggested there should be a " clear cut referendum on housing or healith", how would that work?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Voting NO for both

Currently there is no reference to care by anyone or for anyone in the constitution. Many are unhappy that there is no reference to care or recognition of carers in the constitution.

This proposed article refers to family members providing care for each other by reason of the bonds between them, and thus providing a support to Society which is in the common good, (and so the state will strive to support that provision of care).

Many, particular carers and people needing lifelong care, are unhappy that the constitution's only reference to care will be one of expectation that families manage care. This is at odds with international disability rights best practice models, where people with disabilities should be supported by the state to access professional care in order to live independently where desired. Rather than framing people needing care as objects of charity and family members as having a responsibility to provide care regardless of the financial, physical, emotional consequences of that.

Varadkar's statement this week that he thinks care is the responsibility of the family and not the state confirms the fear that this may make accessing state support for independent professional care more difficult. His reference to ensuring his family would "be cared for" if the need arises also speaks to his privileged financial position where he won't be giving up his income and surviving on Carer's Allowance (after a battle to get it) should such a scenario arise.

Post edited by Hippodrome Song Owl on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Voting NO for both

He is really the only coherent opposition figure in the dail as far as I'm concerned, if only they'd drop the pro life line.

🙈🙉🙊

But his whole party, for what there is of it, is built on pro life pro church.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Kurooi

What a waste of time and money.... Could ask citizens many better questions - refugee crisis, rent control, right to housing, inflation control, nato membership, military spending, EU membership, homeless provisions....

But no. Lets focus on some cohabitating couples who aren't ready to be married, but want to be treated like they're married. It was too clear to have them just commit on paper and pay a €220 one off fee, no, if we make "Durable relationships" subjective then imagine how much money solicitors and tax accountants can suck off people then! And of course it's all in line with the current ideology shift to remove "women" and pretend that every relationship is functional.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,420 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I think it will be a No/No.

I don't sense any kind of critical mass of enthusiasm for a yes/yes. If anything the No/No has it.

I think those who would vote no are more enthused to bother to get out that those who would vote yes.

I think most who decided to vote no for the care amendment will vote no for the family amendment as well, just because.

And O'Gorman isn't very popular is he, which doesn't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

Voting NO for both

A No/No would teach the government a very valuable lesson about putting words and phrases into legislation and refusing to define what they mean by them.

It should be the end of McEntee's 'Incitement to Hatred' nonsense and, hopefully, McEntee herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭combat14

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

Voting NO for both

Just read the attorney generals letter of advice to the government and it is absolutely outrageous the government have pressed ahead with this referendum.

No wonder Roderic O'Gorman suppressed information from meetings.

The word "strive" and durable relationships mean nothing. A shambles.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Photobox

Voting NO for both

4 No & No's from this house now. Two more polling cards arrived a few days ago.

Voting NO for both

Get out and vote tomorrow everyone, don't let apathy take hold- let's get give Roderic an International Women's Day to remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Sunjava

Voting NO for both

No to both

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭H_Lime

My feeling is it's going to be no no.

There's widespread mistrust of this govt, for good reason. The fact they've...

1, Hid the minutes of how this referenda was born.

2, Silenced political debate by guillotining the motion.

3, Willfully misinformed the public despite correction from qualified legal persons.

3, Intentionally omitted actual definitions of what they want us to vote on.

4, Purposefully left loopholes for distancing state obligations.

...means it's actually a very sloppy and lazy grift and its my opinion they need their arses handed to them.

Lastly, the hate speech bill in light of all of the above should have you very concerned and nervous.

Voting NO for both

In recent hours it emerged that the Attorney General advised that it is “difficult to predict with certainty” how the Irish courts would interpret the concept of “durable relationships'. That has to be the end of that. Such a pity this leak occurred on the final day of the campaign, after the moratorium.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,387 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Voting NO for both

If it fails it could precipitate an election. If that happens then McEntees hate bill falls and the next govt. would have to initiate it again.

Advertisement