Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Referendum on Gender Equality (THREADBANS IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

You have a certain cohort of people in Ireland and the US influenced Western World that will do anything they can to remove references to woman and mother.

Often done in the name of feminism as well.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭KevMayo88

Hey, hey, hey, you bigot- it's not a "mother", it's a "birthing person"!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

But the term wake-up call usually implies that the recipient which change course in some way going forward and I'm not seeing how a defeat for one or both of these referendums prompts that for the government or the political establishment more generally. Would it inspire them to embrace, even in a limited way, more 'socially conservative' policies? I highly doubt it. Okay I can't see the next government, if it is FF/FG in some form, trying to adress the specific issues raised in these referenda again, but SF say they will...

Look even a government minister/junior minister admitted they needed it for family reunifications.

Currently multiple spouses are not recognised under Irish law, but if this durable relationship garbage goes into the constitution watch some lads and their two or three wives suddenly go to court to get access into Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

I know a few deeply committed progressives who are voting No due to the vagueness of the wording, I'm actually confident this will now fail as these people always support referendums

Can FG untie and ungag Neale Richmond and release him from the bunker they hid him in, now that the moratorium has kicked in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭bloopy

The Ditch has apparently gotten hold of the Attorney Generals advice on the referendum wording.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,099 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

LOL, as good a guess as mine I guess. But that you choose to put it so close just really shows that you agree there are real problems with the wordings. So do the sensible thing and vote No to both.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭whatisayis

What do you mean you never claimed the State will do as much as possible? This is what you said yesterday.

You have then subsequently said the state haven't honoured that guarantee. I'm confused.

You're confused because you are continuously misreading what I said.

I don't know at this stage are you just pretending that you don't understand? I'll play along again for the umpteenth time and again try to simplify it even more and you can then tell me where you think I am saying what you think I am saying.

Article 41.2 means the state should do as much as possible to allow parents to take care of their families in their home and not have to join the labour force due to financial necessity.

The state could be compelled to do a lot more to honour this Article.

They will. This is the proposed amendment

No they won't. The proposed amendment puts the provision of care onto the family alone. The State will have no Constitutional obligation to provide care either in or outside the home.

It provides that the State shall strive to support the provision of care by families. It is the first time the State will have a Constitutional obligation to involve themselves in striving to provide care.

They are already currently striving to provide care according to the education minister Norma Foley during her debate with Peadar Tobin.

The current Constitution clearly states that provision of care within the family is the sole responsibility of the mother(or father). The only responsibility on the State is to ensure they endeavour to provide some level of money for that.

So you do understand what it means!

There's no responsibility for the State to strive to provide support to for medical help, for money for adaptive accomodation changes, educational supports etc. The proposed amendment opens the door for cases to be taken by family members to push for those kinds of support

They can push for them as much as they are pushing for them now and will get the same results. As I said Norma Foley said last night that the State is already striving to support care so, unless the amendment says the state "will strive even harder than they do now", it will make no difference.

Finally, the current definition only covers a parent caring for their child. Care provided by married couples without kids, brother and sisters, parents to their grandparents etc are all excluded but with the new proposed amendment they would be included.

To be pedantic a married couple without kids are already a Constitutional Family.

The Irish version of the Constitution says "A mothers duties to her family/household" which means her duty to look after all members of her household which is a whole load of potential Supreme Court challenges now that the public have been made aware of its potential. It also includes a fathers duties by the way just to fend off your inevitable response.

You can include as many people as you want under the term durable relationship but it will not mean they will have any Constitutional or legal right to care support from the government either inside or outside the home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

The attorney general’s advice to Rodders….

“There is a lack of guidance from the courts on how the word ‘strive’ will be interpreted. Although the term is used in Article 45.1 of the Constitution in relation to the promotion of the welfare of the people as a whole, this forms part of the Directive Principles of Social Policy, which are expressly stated to be non-justiciable. There is therefore uncertainty as to the likely meaning and effect of an obligation to 'strive' to support the provision of care in a new Article 42B and whether, in its interpretation by the courts, it would be regarded as imposing a more onerous obligation than an obligation to ‘endeavour,’” wrote Fanning to O’Gorman on 8 December, 2023. 

• Registered Users Posts: 31 CoastalCork

If the irish People vote these amendments in I'll be so disappointed .

Sinn fein have failed as an opposition even if their advocating for yes they should have insisted on transparency and support Michael Mc Dowells freedom of information request .they should have objected the the guillotining of the bill in the Dail and promoted an open debate in the houses of the oreachtas.

So a No No vote is the only option for clear headed men and women .if they get away with this shoddy governance worse will follow .

We can go again with the proper wording.

Please vote No and No

• Registered Users Posts: 31 CoastalCork

Big suburbs in Dublin can out vote vast swaths of rural Ireland.

So I fear that ,mostly Nos here in Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Augme

So Article 41.2 means the State must do as much as they can to ensure parents take care fo their families within the homes yet they don't do that and no has compelled them to do that, for some reason. That's an amazing conclusion that the State must do that, especially when it's based on no evidence at all.

No they won't. The proposed amendment puts the provision of care onto the family alone. The State will have no Constitutional obligation to provide care either in or outside the home

You're confusing yourself with the current Constitution. Again I'll post the proposed amendment for clarity.

The State recognises that the provision of care, by members of a family to one another by reason of the bonds that exist among them, gives to Society a support without which the common good cannot be achieved, and shall strive to support such provision.

"And shall strive to support such provision".

They can push for them as much as they are pushing for them now and will get the same results. As I said Norma Foley said last night that the State is already striving to support care so, unless the amendment says the state "will strive even harder than they do now", it will make no difference.

Of course it will make a difference, TDs and politicians say things that are legally incorrect all the time. This shouldn't be news to you. It's the whole reason we have a court system that is separate from Government. I'm surprised you've never hear of a court over turning a decision made by a government tbh.

To be pedantic a married couple without kids are already a Constitutional Family.

The Irish version of the Constitution says "A mothers duties to her family/household" which means her duty to look after all members of her household which is a whole load of potential Supreme Court challenges now that the public have been made aware of its potential. It also includes a fathers duties by the way just to fend off your inevitable response.

You can include as many people as you want under the term durable relationship but it will not mean they will have any Constitutional or legal right to care support from the government either inside or outside the home.

I know, but married couples without kids are not mothers, hence the reason they are excluded from the terms of Article 41.2.2. The use of the word mother is quite clear that it means their role, shock horror, as a mother. Not their role as a daughter or a wife. Hence the reason there has never been a Constitutional challenge on that issue.

We are talking about the care referendum here. Durable relationships don't come into it.

Married couples without kids, brothers and sisters born to parents who are married, adult children looking after their married parents all come within the term family under the current Constitution and all are excluded from the coming under Article 41.2.2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Caquas

A No, No vote would be a huge wake-up call for the politicians - they would suddenly become aware of basic realities, especially that Irish people believe families mean more than "durable relationships" and mothers mean more than "carers".

If politicians think "No, No" voters are socially conservative, they are not just sleeping, they are in a coma. Very few people voting No,No are looking to turn back the clock e.g. on divorce. If Leo repeats his 'step backwards' insult after a No,No vote, he will not survive the next general election. Talk about insulting FG core voters! The media is obsessed by the Iona Institute but I doubt it influences even 1 No voter in 10.

Here's the key point - these amendments were designed to do nothing for carers while planting a ticking time-bomb with "families". If they pass, the politicians will stick their fingers in their ears every time someone talks about "striving to support carers" and the politicians will pray that they are collecting their pensions before the Supreme Court astonishes the country with its interpretation of "durable relationships".

So Article 41.2 means the State must do as much as they can to ensure parents take care fo their families within the homes yet they don't do that and no has compelled them to do that, for some reason. That's an amazing conclusion that the State must do that, especially when it's based on no evidence at all.

I raise the white flag. I give up trying to explain it to you.

You're confusing yourself with the current Constitution. Again I'll post the proposed amendment for clarity.

The State recognises that the provision of care, by members of a family to one another by reason of the bonds that exist among them, gives to Society a support without which the common good cannot be achieved, and shall strive to support such provision.

"And shall strive to support such provision".

Nope I'm not in the least confused. The provision the state shall strive to support is the the provision of care, by members of a family to one another by reason of the bonds that exist among them. Where is the obligation on the state to strive to support care outside of the family?

Of course it will make a difference, TDs and politicians say things that are legally incorrect all the time. This shouldn't be news to you. It's the whole reason we have a court system that is separate from Government.

Ha ha ha ha. That's gas about TD's and politicians saying things that are legally incorrect especially in the context of this referendum.

I'm surprised you've never hear of a court over turning a decision made by a government tbh.

There you go making things up again. It really doesn't help your credibility. What makes you think I never heard of a court overturning a decision made by a government?

We are talking about the care referendum here. Durable relationships don't come into it.

Married couples without kids, brothers and sisters born to parents who are married, adult children looking after their married parents all come within the term family under the current Constitution and all are excluded from the coming under Article 41.2.2.

Sorry I don't know what you are trying to say here.

Sorry I missed this part of your previous post:

I know, but married couples without kids are not mothers, hence the reason they are excluded from the terms of Article 41.2.2. The use of the word mother is quite clear that it means their role, shock horror, as a mother. Not their role as a daughter or a wife. Hence the reason there has never been a Constitutional challenge on that issue.

Nope. Married couples with or without kids have the same right to have one spouse stay at home under Article 41 because a married couple is a family unit and the Article is a family protection. It can be a married man and woman, two women or two men it doesn't matter, they are all equally a family unit

You can bet your bottom dollar that if the referendum fails there will be a Constitutional challenge as most people did not even know of the existence of Article 41.2.2.until highlighted by this referendum. Previous judges have said the term mother is not dependent on a woman being married or not for example.

Also the Irish version of the Constitution refers to women's duty in the family as opposed to women's duty in the home.

"Duty" includes various parental duties which include, as per Article 42, men's duty to their family. "Family" does not mean home (as in house) it means household and encompasses all members of the family who live in the family home.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭DaithiMa

Anyone with even a little bit of sense that watched that 'debate' between McEntee and McDowell last night will be voting no on the 'durable relationship' issue. She literally hadn't got one proper factual counter argument and she's the Minister For Justice! Unbelievable ineptitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Arrogant politicians living in their own world aren't going to suddenly see the light from a "No, No" result.

It would be attributed to confusion among the population caused by the muddied waters from bad actors and a complacent and unenthusiastic "Yes, Yes" campaign backed up by a probable low turnout as evidence.

There'll be nobody in government eating humble pie over this.

I also don't think a No/No result would affect them too much- they would just deflect and Varadkar's defeat speech would be something like..

"Obviously this hasn't gone the way we would have hoped...I think there was an issue with the public and how they engaged with the campaign...I think there was alot of online misinformation that added to public confustion on the issues...there were definately some far-right bad actors stoking fear and division...we obviously need to combat online misinformation going forward"... etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,997 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

If No wins on either referendum "far-right" bogeymen will surely be blamed.

Ireland has undergone a social and legal revolution which was unimaginable to earlier generations but so many people are still stuck in a mental rut - “Ah, politicians are all the same, nuttin’ changes round here”!

Even when they want to delete “mothers” from the Constitution and turn families into any relationship that claims to be “durable”

The politicians certainly hope there are lots of voters like this poster who will forget all about this referendum fiasco come the real business of the elections in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,863 ✭✭✭ebbsy

• Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Television and radio cannot broadcast the revelations in the Ditch due to our censorship laws.

Crazy.

...it is difficult to predict with certainty how the Irish courts would interpret the concept of ‘other durable relationships,’

How on earth did these revelations only manage to come to light on the final day of the campaign, after the moratorium?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Watching the RTE debate with Martin and Maria sheen again. It ages well. Towards the end should be archived for reeling in the years.

Sensational

• Registered Users Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Journal.ie reporting it , yes side saying its beneficial to them

• Advertisement
Advertisement