Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gript-A source of misinformation. **Read OP before posting**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭Shoog

What is going on is just an acceleration of the long standing slow burn genocide that Israel has conducted against the Palestinians, a 50 year policy of displacement and irradication.

Very similar to Turkey and the Kurds.

I always find it interesting that racists can be ardent supporters of Israel at the same time as been vehemently anti-Semitic.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭NoMoreDonegalTuesdays

All of those were genocides, as is Russia's current barbarism against Ukraine. South Africa's case against Israel lists more than enough evidence of intent by Israel's leadership to prove they are genocidal.

Adults recognise what Israel is doing as genocide. Only those who choose to have the mental age of a child deny it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I think it would be a bit unrealistic of national newspapers to offer a regular platform to right wing (or even 'far right' commentators) given the total absence of right wing parties in the Dáil. The newspaper's first responsibility has to be to their own readers and subscribers - presumably readers of the Irish Times for example simply don't want to read regular right wing opinion pieces in their favourite newspaper and would even begin to find such a thing irritating.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,540 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

OK, but if you take that view, then Gript serves a certain market, a certain readership, just like IT does.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Absolutely and nobody is suggesting for a moment that Gript be banned or shut down - they clearly have an audience and are coming at things from an angle that very few other parts of the media are.

• Advertisement

You gave a list of genocides. You're asking us to believe that actual genocides aren't genocides. I wonder why.

It seems to be a common thing with Gript readers that they deny actual genocides are genocides, and then turn turn around and shriek laughable eejitry that peaceful migration somehow amounts to genocide.

I suppose it's no more than you'd expect from Gript readers, who tend to live in a paranoid fantasy world.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Hey sunshine, are you trying to say

1. I am racist

and

2 I am anti-semitic ?

I suppose according to you because I am Gript reader I am a raving fascist worst than an SS-Obersturmbannführer leading an Einsatzgruppe.

PS I am pro Israel, pro Israeli and pretty anti anti-semitic.

Now of course being pro Israel/Israeli does not equate to being pro Netanyahu.

Just like being pro Irish doesn't mean I don't think our entire political class are quislings.

I am not allowed discuss …

Yet another purveyor of truth, ala themselves as non gript readers, who then try twist that I denied actual genocides.

Look at the list given above of the actual genocides I listed.

Did I ever say Kampcuhea under Pol Pot was not genocide?

Did I ever say what happened to Jews and Roma in WWII was not genocide?

Did I ever say what happened to Armenians in Ottoman Turkey was not genocide ?

Did I ever say what happened to Tutsi in Rwanda was not genocide ?

etc, etc, etc

I denied that what is happening to Palestinians today and since 1948 or 1967 or 1973 is genocide.

In fact the ICJ did not rule that what Israel were doing was genocide.

It said that some of the South African claims were plausible, but did not rule it was genocide.

Of course to the usual islamic fanboys anything Israel does is wrong, and it doesn't even have right to exist.

See we can all jump to conclusions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭Shoog

It's very simple, you cannot gift another populations land so the explicit point is that Israel has no right to exist in Palestine.

Israel was founded based upon a concerted campaign of terrorism and ethnic cleaning by a committed band of Zionists. They had Zionists PMs in the UK who bowed to the Zionist pressure to gift another populations lands to them.

So Israel has a perfect right to exist - just not in the middle east.

You ridiculed my assertion that all the genocides you listed were genocides. Now you're denying that you ridiculed me, and are hastily trying to clarify that they were in fact genocides.

Yet you made the equation between all those genocides and what Israel is currently doing to Gaza. You equated them.

Now you're trying to weasel out that equation and pretend that what Israel is doing is not a genocide. So why on earth did you equate them in the first place, then?

We can all see why you don't want to admit that what Israel is doing is a genocide. It's not genocide apparently as long as the people fighting on behalf of "Judeo-Christian civilisation" (whatever that is) do it and the victims are "Muslim savages" who have been relentlessly dehumanised by Israel and pretty much the entirety of right-wing opinion worldwide to the point where supporters of Israel literally do not see the victims as actual humans.

You can't bring yourself to go through that "are we the baddies?" realisation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Quisling is a very loaded description of politicians for obvious reasons.

Are you seriously saying that all our politicians are traitors ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭nachouser

Are your views represented in Irish media and politics?

This year will see two referendums, a local and European election, and the passage of multiple important bills like the Hate Speech Bill. We may also have a general election. Either way it's going to be a massively impactful year for Ireland, and we want to know your concerns and how confident you are that the Irish media will cover it all fairly.

How concerned are you with the current direction Ireland is heading? *

Very Concerned

Somewhat Concerned

Not Concerned

In your opinion, how well does the mainstream media represent your views and concerns? *

I feel very represented

I feel somewhat represented

I do not feel that it represents my views and concerns

To what extent, if any, are you concerned that mainstream media outlets are failing to report news because they want to influence how the public thinks about certain topics? *

Very Concerned

Somewhat Concerned

Not Concerned

Has your trust in the media increased or decreased over the past year? *

Increased

No Change

Decreased

Regarding journalism, which of the following statements do you agree with? Please check all that apply. *

There is a lack of diversity in the perspectives presented by the mainstream media.

My views and concerns are not fairly represented in mainstream media.

Irish journalism has too close of a relationship with particular politicians and political parties.

Irish journalism has too close of a relationship with large business.

Regarding Gript, which of the following statements do you agree with? *

The growth of independent media like Gript will mean my views and concerns are better represented.

People who want to see a change in the Irish media landscape should actively support independent media.

Independent platforms like Gript.ie are crucial for presenting unfiltered and unbiased news.

Gript asks politicians questions that no other media outlet would.

Gript has had a positive impact on Ireland.

When Gript launched in 2019 we made the decision to refuse to accept Government funding through either direct grants or through advertising from Government Departments, meaning we rely nearly entirely on readers like you to keep us alive. Since our launch we have never accepted a single euro of government funding. We belief this gives us a level of independence and allows us to more effectively challenge politicians and civil servants, but it also means we are at a substancial financial disadvantage when compared to the mainstream media. Do you believe we've made the right decision? *

Absolutely

No, Gript should have taken the money

Do you believe that media outlets that rely on subscriptions for funding are more trustworthy than those who rely on government support, through grants or advertising *

I'd wager a pretty high percentage of Gript's readers would look pretty kindly on Quisling as a historical figure if they knew he was.

substancial

Irish journalism has too close of a relationship with particular politicians and political parties.

Irish journalism has too close of a relationship with large business.

Yup, this is fine. People definitely speak like this.

WTF are you on about.

I equated past real genocides (the big ones listed above plus some more) with what you and the South Africans are trying to claim is a genocide ala Israel and Palestinians.

But you are trying to put another spin on it.

Did I ever say Nazi Germany plus the other Axis powers (not forgetting our old friends in the East who slaughtered Chinese by thy city load) nor the old Romanians who were involved in Ukraine.

BTW why didn't South Africa go after old Mugabe for his attempted genocides of white farmers or his treatment of Ndebele and Kalanga people in 1980s in Matabeleland because they were ZAPU supporters?

I didn't see them rushing to UN or anywhere else trying to get Sudanese sanctioned for using Janjaweed militia for genocide in Darfur.

Oh wait her is the real kicker they actually disregarded international law by not arresting Sudanese president Omar Al Bashir who was wanted by ICC for genocide.

He was wanted for war crimes, crimes against humanity and genocide related to the 2003 conflict in Darfur.

And South Africa failed to arrest him when he visit JoBurg in 2015 for African union conference.

It appears they are rather selective in who they see as genocidal leaders.

Bunch of fooking clowns driving the country into the crapper.

Yes they are.

They are putting the interests of foreigners ahead of their own people.

Those foreigners could be anyone from multinational boards, foreign investors, EU leadership to the dudes rocking up with no passports.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,161 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The topic id Gript. Not genocide. Not Israel. Not who is or who is not a traitor.

Sloganeering nonsense.

Also by your logic Franklin Delano Roosevelt and the US forces in Europe during World War II were traitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,811 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Well if nothing else, Gript describing itself as "unbiased" gave me a good laugh.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Ah sure, you can probably guess where their funding comes from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭sameoldname

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

• Registered Users Posts: 34,811 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Well there goes any claim to impartiality blown out of the water.

In effect though as they are themselves funded from outside, they're just acting as a handy conduit for someone else's money.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 40,099 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

If you believe in challenging the consensus, facilitating debate, and delivering news & analysis without the liberal filter, please consider becoming a member.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Sounds like Ganley handing McGuirk money to donate to his pet interests.

So anyone of you folks that are ever so concerned about truth, disinformation, misinformation any comment on the fact it looks like the government neglected to mention to the electorate the concerns the AG has with regards to the proposed wording change to the constitution that is going to be voted upon tomorrow ?

The concerns that were voiced to minister for screwups Roddy Oh so Gormless.

I know you refused to say anything about the fact Gript pointed out another minister of fookups one Cathering Martin was lying in her statements, but perhaps you can comment on the above news without making references to who funds who.

PS the journal has it appeared confirmed the ditch article so sorry lads you can't play the far right card here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭Augme

Well, this thread is about gript. Not the referendum.

Still, no one surprised grip is completely impartial and is the pocket of certain political parties and influences. Begging for money from subscribers and then giving that money away to political groups. Amazing.

But but but ...

what about misinformation, disinformation.

You throw those terms about everytime you talk about gript.

You and the rest of the cohort have climbed on a bandwagon about gript, refused to even acknowledge they had highlighted a minister was effectively spreading misinformation.

And now it appears you still don't really care about misinformation or lack of truthful information when spread by the so called purveyors of all things correct and truthful i.e. the journal.

Do you just care about misinformation if it is spread by gript?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,541 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

This is a seriously impressive red herring there.

Advertisement