Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Referendum on Gender Equality (THREADBANS IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Double post

• Registered Users Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Attorney General's advice to minister leaked ahead of referendums https://jrnl.ie/6320276

• Registered Users Posts: 11,099 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Disgraceful that these referendums are going ahead if what is reported is the true nature of AGs advice. Very potentially dangerous and reckless with unknown consequences - my interpretation.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Look McDowell is a very intelligent experienced barrister who knows the law and actually has some good old fashioned common sense.

I wouldn't be surprised if McEntee can't actually spell the word law.

It is unbelievable how she was preferred for the job over Jim O'Callaghan.

fianna failers should remember that little nugget.

It would be like Ireland selecting the kit man over any of the squad to line out against England.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,214 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Feels we'll be absolutely nuts to be voting Yes Yes on this

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

He can start with the misinformation that Catherine Martin has been spouting.

John McGuinness the FF TD and Alan Shatter ex FG Minister for Justice and the author of the Family Law book are not far-right bogeymen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Swing to 5/6 from evens for a NO vote on family and NO in care referendum also getting more money.

Momentum only going one way.

No idea how reliable betting odds are traditionally in Irish referendums.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

And that’s precisely why it’ll be a No because the lefty ruling elites are so far out of touch with the ordinary man and woman that this is what they like to tell themselves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I have highlighted on another thread all the huge public sector/public services fook ups despite all our supposed economic largesse we are being told we have.

The true results of the current fookups will not of course be felt for years in social terms, but will be sharply felt in economic terms come the next major recession.

A reckoning that will make the last downturn look mild when it comes to cutting the public expenditure that has been created.

Of course those obviously shilling for the political parties are quick to tell us how great things are, how we are all moaners and ranters, how one would swear that nothing works in the country.

You can even see the shillers and the politicos discussing which ones of their parties will probably win seats come the next election because at the moment they are confident that there is no political party out there not singing from nearly the same hymn sheet.

The shinners have effectively abandoned a lot of their traditional core working class, non working voters in an effort to become the wokeist of the lot.

But the locals and Europeans will hopefully be the kick up the ar** they deserve.

I keep telling young people who claim whats the point that they have to vote if they want any future.

And to vote independent, something like Farmers Alliance, Independent Ireland anyone bar the main parties in the Dail.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Given AGs advice have Varadkar, Martin Mcentee and O Gorman deliberately mislead the public?

Another politicians lied like fish drink water but still might be very harmful for them

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Stranger Things

Anyone else see Eamonn Ryan outside Pearse station giving out leaflets??

• Registered Users Posts: 31 CoastalCork

He's doesn't have any response to Toyota CEO saying that EV cars are going to peak at 30% .

Ammonia and H_ cell engines going to finish them off .

In any other country this would feature on the main news the night before the vote. In this country, it is banned by law.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Augme

You mean you give up trying to dig yourself into a deeper hole. You still haven't outlined why no one has yet taken a Constitutional challenge about the level of support that's guaranteed by the government not being good enough either.

Nope I'm not in the least confused. The provision the state shall strive to support is the the provision of care, by members of a family to one another by reason of the bonds that exist among them. Where is the obligation on the state to strive to support care outside of the family?

When did i say they were strive to provide support outside the family? This what I posted earlier today.

I know, hence the reason i never said they did. As I said, the government will have a legal obligation to make some attempt to provide care for families who have a member who is disabled. That doesn't exist under the current Constitution.

The current Constitution and the proposed amendment provide no mention of the State providing any level of assistance to people with a disability outside the family.

There you go making things up again. It really doesn't help your credibility. What makes you think I never heard of a court overturning a decision made by a government

Because this is what you said.

They can push for them as much as they are pushing for them now and will get the same results. As I said Norma Foley said last night that the State is already striving to support care so, unless the amendment says the state "will strive even harder than they do now", it will make no difference.

You've already ruled out any possible change because a government minister has said so. But the Court could very easily disagree with Norma Foley and the Government's decision on that. Also, given you said this early

no one can ever accurately predict the outcome of a Supreme Court case.

It's great to see you've changed your turn and you now feel you can accurately predict the outcome of a Supreme Court Case!

Nope. Married couples with or without kids have the same right to have one spouse stay at home under Article 41 because a married couple is a family unit and the Article is a family protection. It can be a married man and woman, two women or two men it doesn't matter, they are all equally a family unit

What financial support do the government provide to married women who dont have children and dont want to work?

You can bet your bottom dollar that if the referendum fails there will be a Constitutional challenge as most people did not even know of the existence of Article 41.2.2.until highlighted by this referendum.

I really wouldn't go betting that bottom dollar on that. Here's what the Irish Human Rights and Equality Commission had to say in their policy statement in 2018 on Article 41.2

Even when the Constitution was being drafted, its treatment of women in Article 41.2 and other provisions was ‘the single biggest policy issue which dominated much of the debate at the time both inside and outside the Dáil’. Since the adoption of the Constitution, and particularly in the last thirty years, there have been repeated calls at both the national and international level to amend or remove Article 41.2.

Here previous working that has been done in the area of amending the article

The main previous proposals considered were the following:

• In 1993 the Second Commission on the Status of Women recommended the deletion of Article 41.2.2

• In 1996 the Constitution Review Group recommended deleting Article 41.2 and

replacing it with the following:

The State recognises that home and family life gives to society a support without which the common good cannot be achieved. The State shall endeavour to support persons caring for others within the home.

• In 1997 the First Progress Report of the All-Party Oireachtas Committee on the Constitution recommended deleting Article 41.2 and replacing it with the

following:

The State recognises that family life gives to society a support without which the common good cannot be achieved. The State shall endeavour to support persons caring for others within the home.

There was also another report with more recommendations in 2006. I'd say there's almost no one who works in the areas of care, equality, disability or Constitutional law who doesn't know alot about it.

Previous judges have said the term mother is not dependent on a woman being married or not for example.

I assume it is dependent on them having a child though at least? Would be very interested to see where in case law they haven't said this isn't necessary.

"Duty" includes various parental duties which include, as per Article 42, men's duty to their family. "Family" does not mean home (as in house) it means household and encompasses all members of the family who live in the family home.

Parental being the operative word. Someone doesn't have parental duties towards their parents(or siblings), they have caring duties. As you say, it only extends to family who live in the family home. The prosed amendment goes beyond that.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭kleiner feigling

And absolutely no transfers. Some of our senior politicians only got in on the 8th/9th/...15th count!

None of this filling in every spot on the polling card, unless you're genuinely content for any of them to get a seat.

No/No from me tomorrow. I'm just so annoyed that so much energy and money was spent on this when there are plenty of real problems we could address.

The government is fuckeed now this has been released. No wonder they have been saying The Fooking Ditch over the past couple of years.

This will probably sway more to the No No camp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ozymandius2011

I don't really see this as a referendum on gender inequality. It is 2 referendums: one on inserting "durable relationships" into the Constitution, and the second is about deleting references to women's "duties" in the home but also the part that says mothers "shall not be forced by economic necessity" to work outside the home "to the neglect of her duties in the home". I am less opposed to the second referendum and have thought about supporting it. What is causing me to vote no is that its the only part of the constitution that refers to "mothers". I am concerned that removing it may make it harder for mothers to litigate on issues that affect mother's uniquely. Right now I'm leaning to no but am open to persuasion otherwise.

I also have concerns that the lack of a definition of "durable partnerships" is a Pandora's Box on issues like inheritance, property rights, social welfare, immigration law (especially family reunification say if the claiment is in a polygamous marriage). If "durable relationships" was not in the proposed wording of this article, I would have voted Yes. But as it stands I will be voting no on this part.

My concerns have been increased today by the leaking of the AG's advice on "durable relationships".

• Advertisement

If it is a big defeat on Saturday, the first question is who decided to hold this referendum and who is going to lose their job?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Northernlily

How is it beneficial to them? Pure delusion.

A few of us were discussing it in a WhatsApp group as we are voting before we meet up for a few pints tomorrow as happens twice a year.

We're all open minded, progressive people. The AG advice is clear and resolute and tips us into the NoNo vote. Ireland is very progressive as it stands and this referendum is unecessary for the vagueness of the text.

FG can piss off again with insulting all the people who voted them into power. Their mask has completely slipped, they do not even hide it anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Why was the AG's advice /opinion not made public before now? surely all information should be made available to the voters.Something stinks here.

I dont care what spin Sen.O'reilly puts on the AG's opinion in the journal, this was bad news for the yes side, if either of the amendments is carried, could the result be challenged? this is a major fook up from the government especially the Greens.

Ps, Also have to ask what the Electoral Commission was doing,surely they should have made AG's advice public, they dont appear impartial to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Caquas

Mattie McGrath asks the Taoiseach about Heather’s attempted bribery and gets the usual condescension.

Post edited by Caquas on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

If the referendum is carried the No side will likely challenge it due to publicly funded NGO's campaigning for yes. The NGO's say their referendum campaigns are completely financially segregated from their publicly funded work however.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Plutarch

O'Gorman is an ideologue who should be removed from his post immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The witholding of the AG advice is nothing short of a scandal - to me anyway and I'm sure many others. I am so glad I stuck to my guns from day one when I intended voting No No on the basis that the wording was alphabet soup and designed to hoodwink and gaslight. I have no doubt there is a hidden agenda but I confess to not knowing what it is! Suspicious mind....

Now I know this is going to sound like self praise, I don't mean to do that, but back on 22 Feb I posted this on the thread -

"Strive to" should have been removed from the proposed wording, leaving a simple "Shall". Thus putting the onus on the Government to absolutely support the provision of care. They have used the word "Strive", which is wishy washy and holds nothing over the Government regarding its obligations.

But no surprises there. That is annoying me intensely, apart from all the other BS about "durable", which in itself is beyond definition it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,303 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Being annoyed at the money being spent on some us a pretty childish reason to opposite it.

Its silent now, people should view it on the merits within and not the government.

Also your comment about transfers makes no sense. If you only tick one or two selections, then your vote will be removed from the count sooner. Making it easier for the guy your opposing to get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Augme

Who says NGOs can't advocate for a Yes? Does that mean if the result is no the result will be challenged due to NGOs advocating fotlr a No vote?

• Advertisement

It's bizarre that not more opposition TDs supported a No vote.

Advertisement