Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda facing disciplinary hearing for helping elderly man

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭amacca

I absolutely hate bullshit recruitment campaigns of that ilk

I can imagine the various assorted twatlingers desperately clamouring to have their views and opinions on the aesthetic, core message etc heard in case anyone would think they were completely useless.

I also think anyone in their sane senses wouldnt be encouraged to join if thats something that even gets mentioned in the ad....

Its an immediate disincentive if youve got a brain....one immediately thinks so if the work matters so much and is so important (as you say) why are you paying so **** unless i do mad overtime and unsocial hours and mentioning coffee at 4am etc etc ...maybe you should consider recruiting enough to police properly, having consequences for scumbags and the possibility of decent pay for decent hours (im aware unsocial, overtime and shift would have to happen but a balance)

The fact they even need an under the tree at spar campaign tells me all I need to know about what the job is probably like.

Its like the recruitment campaigns for teachers etc .... they should start with...weve made a **** of it lads, people that previously would have been prospects are voting with their feet, but never fear weve spent millions on a campaign to try and paper over the cracks so we can continue with the current ballcocks of a situation....

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

So you thing being will to risk you life in the service of the state and your fellow citizens is a low qualification, so what has stopped you from signing up then if it is such an easy gig?

I grew up in my grand uncle's house a veteran on the war of independence and he instilled in us great respect for the Garda, because as he said they do the one thing he'd never do - go into the night without a revolver in their pocket. And having do ACP way back in the day, I'd absolutely agree with him. They are far braver men and women that I'd ever be.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭elperello

There definitely needs to be a hard look at the procedures in these invedtigations.

Three years to come to a conclusion in such a seemingly minor case is indefensible.

However as I said earlier in the thread political interference in specific disciplinary cases is not the way forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

Would he still have been getting paid whilst the investigation was goin on?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Not advocating political interference in an investigation - but procedures need to be updated for this type of incidence as it impacts all Gardai - fine if it’s a drugs investigation, Garda caught rapid storing drugs or whatever - then there’s many avenues to explore and that takes time- but this incident is just ridiculous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭elperello

• Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Over 3 years for the criminal investigation.

Someone is going to have to explain that one, was it sent to the DPP and lost behind a filing cabinet or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,334 ✭✭✭Francis McM

• Registered Users Posts: 18,129 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Averages are bollox. This is from an article in Aug 23

At present, when recruits join the Garda they are paid an allowance of €184 per week for 33 weeks before moving onto a starting salary of €34,572. The salary then increases incrementally over the next eight years to €53,000.

Clearly the money isn't good enough or there wouldn't be a recruitment crisis currently. I know people working in dead end factory jobs making more

• Registered Users Posts: 14,995 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Suspension is used as its own punishment in AGS. You're left on flat rate pay amounting to about half your normal salary until someone finally decides 'we better do something with this now'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

See this kind of article annoys me.

I'd love to know how many hours overtime a garda has to clock in to meet that criteria. I doubt there are many IT professionals that are working at 3 or 4 in the morning, never mind dealing with rapists, child abusers, drug addicts and dealers, attending murder and fatal accident scenes, dealing with our oh so charming indigenous ethnic folk, having to tell people their son or daughter has been killed in a car crash.

Sure, in ballygobackwards in the arsehole of mayo, I'm sure being a garda is a cushy number but in any sort of urban area, it can be a very difficult and dangerous job.

I wouldn't do it for love nor money and whatever they are getting paid, it's not enough.

You forget about all the allowances that bump average Garda pay up to €82,348.17 per year.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/2023/11/28/gardai-eclipsed-it-professionals-as-best-paid-workers-in-state-cso-figures-show/

Of course there are some Garda less than that, there are some more than that. The CSO works it out. They have the figures. Do not shoot the messenger.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

So it took the guards 3 years to investigate the lack of a filled in form?

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Yeah Right

No, he didn't. That's exactly the point he's making.

Their pay isn't bumped up to that figure at all, their EARNINGS are. There is a difference between the two. Even the subhead on your article states "......weekly earnings, including overtime....." It even includes money earned since February of the previous year, and filing it under "2023 pay". What is their pay on a per-hour basis? Oh look, it says as much in the article.....

On an hourly basis, gardaí earned on average €30.38 in the third quarter while IT workers earned €35.44.

So IT workers are 20% better paid than Gardaí, completely contradicting the entire article and headline. Quelle surprise.

This is the same BS methodology used to demonstrate the "pay gap", when in fact it's an earnings gap. It's stupid. Using averages to demonstrate such matters, is twice as stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,751 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Same oukd cxxx.. Conflate the highest paid with the rest plus antisocial hours and overtime and think thats a gotcha!

Its not, its just nonsense. If you want a real average you have to work a bit harder and have more than LC pass maths at your disposal.

Just more anti Public Servants fakery.

So why repeat it?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,347 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

First thing I thought. Reports are always either a bollix out to get someone or a bollix everyone was waiting to get rid of.

Much more likely to be the former in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,129 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I'll simplify it. 4 people work at a company,

2 earn 35k

1 earn 60k

1 earn 120k

Headline figure is average earnings at X company is 62k, when reality is 75% of the employees dont make that figure.

CSO pedal the same shite and it just highlights the gap in earnings, not a real world figure.

Garda earns 80k working 60 hours, IT worker works 38 hrs earns 70k. Who's doing better?

I can assure you your average Garda on the beat isn't earning 80k, it's closer to half that.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The Union should be going full public and demanding answers from the Minister on this case and others like it.

The public purse have probably been deprived of 100s of 1000s to pay for this persons salary and the over time that would have been needed to facilitate his suspension.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Not to mention while the average IT professional may be academically more qualified they certainly don't have to put up with the nonsense Gardai on the beat would have to deal with on a daily basis. Even if rank and file Gardai were earning that much I wouldn't have an issue with it personally, it's an important service provided to the state.

I still cannot understand why it took so long. Can you imagine the same thing happening in the private sector?

You would be hard pressed, out of the 353,094 businesses that are registered in Ireland, to find many that have the €82,348.17 per year that the government's very own C.S.O. reports is the average pay of Gardai. Or indeed many that people can retire from on defined benefit pension after 30 years service.

However, lets take one of Irelands most successful and profitable private sector companies, Ryanair. Possibly the most successful Irish owned and Irish based company. If someone there gave out something from the lost property dept there, can you imagine it taking three years while the person was suspended on full pay to investigate the matter?

A six figure sum and a tenth of the Garda's working life wasted.

Post edited by Francis McM on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,057 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Fully agree except rural policiing is no cushy number these days either.

Imagine being called out to a house in the middle of nowhere where a guy is holed up with his wife and a gun, except you don't know about the gun or his IRA murder convictions, 999 just told you it was a 'domestic', nearest backup is at least an hour away and you have to go in there alone and unarmed. That did happen and the garda was murdered.

Or you and your partner are surrounded by drunken thugs baying for your blood outside a chipper at 3am in a small town somewhere and again any backup at least an hour away - and they know it.

Great job.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

A third of the garda's working life... ehhh you might want to look at that again.

Do you think any of those 353,094 businesses perform a function as vital to society as AGS does? What an absolutely ludicrous comparison

BTW your beloved Ryanair employed a sex abuser as their chief pilot!

Everyone agrees the three years is ridiculous and unfair - even if a Garda is in the wrong, they deserve to know their fate long before that. Surprised the GRA weren't going to the High Court over it but maybe the garda concerned isn't a member.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭granturismo

Luckily this is Ireland. Any employee should be paid during the course of a disciplinary hearing, during which they havent been found innocent or guilty of breaching proceedures.

Sorry about the typo, I meant to say a tenth of the Garda's working life as a tenth of 30 is of course 3.

I picked Ryanair as an example of an efficient company. I never heard that they employed a sex abuser as a pilot, I do not know if that is true or not but I doubt it. Ryanair currently employ 6582 pilots, and I would say have employed many tens of thousands since they started. It is possible someone employed in either private or public sector could have skeletons in the closet or whatever. God knows there have been a rogue police officer or two in probably every police force in the world. That is not the point, not sure what you are getting at.

Can you understand why it took 3 years, with a Garda suspended on full pay, to investigate the matter? In a private sector company it would not have happened : if they were that inefficient in everything they did they would soon be out of business. Because the taxpayer pays, like in RTE basically because money from the public has made them inefficient and wasteful too, does not make it right.

You doubt it, ok. It wasn't just any pilot, it was the chief pilot, who could make or break a new pilot's career, and schedule himself to fly alongside his targets:

I'm fukkin' sick of people holding Ryanair up as some sort of paragon, it's not, it's a very grubby business and (not un-coincidentally) a very profitable one. Here's an example of how great their HR procedures are:

Ryanair subjected a flight ops officer to a “double punishment” by denying him a €2,500 bonus given to his colleagues just two weeks after he was made redundant during the Covid-19 lockdown.

The budget airline was ordered to pay the sum to its former employee by on top of a €5,000 award for unfair dismissal in a decision published on Friday by the Workplace Relations Commission (WRC).

The tribunal found the worker had been dismissed in a “legitimate” redundancy process, but that Ryanair’s treatment of the flight ops manager, Gary Howard, had been “careless and unfair” – as he had been “left in the dark” about why his job was chosen.

As to why this Garda process took three years, I've no idea and nobody not involved does either. Everyone agrees it should have been a fraction of that.

• Administrators Posts: 14,071 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Is there a reason you haven't signed up? Low qualifications, high pay, early retirement, big pension, all those lovely extras.

Seems like a no brainer.

cos there’s no amount of money in the world that would make it acceptable to have people who are breaking the law lecture you on how you should be dealing with the “real criminals” 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭mikethecop

Man who bit gardaí and told them he had HIV warned by judge he is in ‘last chance saloon’ - SundayWorld.com

a small idea of the value that the courts place on those who "try " to enforce our laws and maintain a safe society for all

a few mealy words from the bench and fcuk all else , and if you think been bitten has nothing to do with them quitting your a fool

on top of constant oppressive petty little jobs worths trying to choke any kind of humanity out of people who just want to help those who need it

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Yeah Right

You're all over the place here.

Your interpretation of "low qualifications" is all over the shop, basically anyone can be a Garda. You don't need a degree or any sort of qualification above the leaving cert. This is what they were talking about when they say low qualifications. Being willing to go out on the beat and deal with the dregs of society is not a qualification in any sense of the word, never mind a low one.

It also doesn't mean it's an 'easy gig', plus, the poster you're replying to never claimed it was an easy gig. Well paid job for life with loads of extras, yes........an easy job to do, though? They never claimed as much.

I grew up in my grand uncle's house a veteran on the war of independence and he instilled in us great respect for the Garda

I grew up in Dublin's North Inner City and the Gardaí I met as a youngster, to a man, instilled in us nothing but contempt and hostility towards the uniform. I've a million and one examples of the prejudice, malice, thuggery, ignorance, apathy and outright criminality of the Guards in Fitzgibbon Street station over the years. Come back when you see them battering 14 year olds, or stealing their belongings, or destroying their property on a daily basis and we'll see how quick you are to call them brave men.

Even as an adult, they were at it still. I've family still in the area and when visiting one day around 2009/10 I went to the local shop for my nanny. I bumped into an elderly neighbour on the way who was going to the off-licence on the NCR. She was worried she might not make it before the 10pm curfew, so I said I'd go for her. Hit the offo, bottle of Hennessy for her and a few beers for myself while I'm there, then to the shop for my nanny. Bumped into an old schoolmate having a smoke outside the pub on the way back and stop to chat.

Squad car suddenly pulls up onto the path and 2 boyos jump out, start asking if we're selling drugs, up to no good etc. Then one starts asking why I'm drinking cans in public (I wasn't). They end up confiscating the cans and the brandy off me under the Public Order Act, and tell me to claim it back from the station. He's reluctant to give me his name until I call out the number on his shoulder and say I'll just ask for him by that instead.

It's now after 10 so I can't even go get more. I go and collect the elderly neighbour, bring her up the station to explain the matter. When I ask the lad on the desk can I speak to officer J47 or whatever his number was, he calls back to see if he's around. Someone else shouts back "he finished at 10 remember?.......they're all going to that gig in town later". Says we'll have to call back another time. Three separate visits later before he'll come speak to me, and surprise surprise, the confiscated drink cannot be located anywhere. All further complaints are waved away.

Brave men indeed. I can pretty much guarantee you that he missed the offo himself and decided he'd fabricate a scenario where he'd take mine instead. There's not a man alive who can convince me otherwise.

Not every one is like that, before you try to misinterpret my words. But there's enough of them who are and a big enough second cohort who turn a blind eye to that sh1t to taint the entire pool in many people's eyes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭wilddarts

Good bit of detail in this article. Doesn't appear like "there's a lot more to it". Dunno why anyone would want to join the gaurds after reading that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement