Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Aussies are trying to take our cops.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭mikethecop

Man who bit gardaí and told them he had HIV warned by judge he is in ‘last chance saloon’ - SundayWorld.com

Paul Williams: GRA snub shows relations between frontline gardaí and Commissioner Drew Harris have totally collapsed | Independent.ie

More than one garda being assaulted in the line of duty every day in 2023 (breakingnews.ie)

and why wouldn't they , our courts, Commissioner, minister for justice, Taoiseach and media distain and despise them,

at another time and in another country something seriously bad could happen

the same job for the same money (more or less) in a nicer climate . and given AGS good international reputation for skills and abilities as a unarmed force

why not

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

I know of one very active "good" member that's off to Oz. Going away drinks last week. The three year suspension for the bicycle fiasco is the final nail in the coffin of the morale.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,311 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

From a diplomatic perspective it’s more than a little bit cheeky…

there is a cost in hiring and training new / replacement Gardai that obviously the taxpayers here get hit for. Not to mention losing experienced Gardai on the street here.

the fact that it is not looking for just Irish applicants but actual ‘Gardai’….

quite cheeky and arrogant actually but hey… surprised ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,105 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

They have been enticing Irish nurses for years so why not. TBH any young Gardai with no ties would be mad not to jump at the opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,298 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Every other trade abd profession can emigrate why should Garda also have that option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,206 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

There was a terrible case in Victoria about a decade ago about an Irish woman who was raped and murdered on her way home from a night out with work colleagues.

The man convinced had been on parole for other sexual offences at the time of the murder.

It's not just in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Has been happening for ages. Half WA cops are Irish & GB

• Registered Users Posts: 9,775 ✭✭✭buried

If we could only get them to take our governing politicians and high ranking civil servants instead, we'd be away with it.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 9,179 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Do the WA cops need millions of breath tests faked or penalty points quashed for connected people? Or maybe there need a whistleblower silenced...

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,775 ✭✭✭buried

Don't think so. If they are looking for whistleblowers to be silenced, they'd also be looking to hire whoever is working in Tusla

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,263 ✭✭✭Gusser09

You love being the contrarion.

So we should just accept our failed criminal justice system because other countries have similar problems.

You do this on every thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,206 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Well yeah,.

I do go against a lot of the very simplistic, lazy narratives that you read here.

Things like landlords are rich, restaurants owners are greedy price gougers, politicians are well paid for an easy job, immigrants get free houses, "only in Ireland" would you see such and such.

In this case my post was not a great one actually.

The poster I was quoting mentioned how the police force in Ireland had been let down by the judicial system, and my reply was an example of how the public in general and specifically the lady and her family had been let down by the judicial system.

But I'm sure you could find examples of how the police force in South Australia had been let down by the judicial system.

And why are they coming all this way looking for recruits anyway, are things that bad back home that no one wants to be a police officer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭JVince

• Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

Could we go back to the good old days and send them out our criminals instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Loads of people saying that and saying nothing, can you at least give us a clue ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,351 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Was there really?

Other than another garda with a grudge?

You may know the history, I dont but nothing came out and garda cleared.

Old man visited by team of gardai and bicycle removed would suggest the giving of the bike was being treated very very seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Musicrules

They take all the dodgy guards and leave any good ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭highpitcheric

Is there anything we can hunt back from them?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,494 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Both Aus and NZ have been actively recruiting paramedics from both Ireland and UK for years, never noted as a big deal, whats special about cops?

Aus has also been active about poaching police, nurses, medics, teachers etc from NZ for the last while, why wouldn't you? Three times the pay, only 1.5 times the cost of living and much better weather. Obvious downside is dealing with Australia though.

I work for St John (NZ ambulance servive) and even in the local regional hospital the number of Irish doctors I meet is WAY WAY above ratio for Irish in NZ. Train in Ireland, then get to **** out to anywhere, as the pay and hours are stupendously better.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,670 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

So they are offering about €53k - €60k OP. Not sure it's as enticing as it first looks. What's a typical Garda salary?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭beachhead

OZ taking Irish cops for at least 10 years.I'm sure I saw an rte prog where they were interviewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,957 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Faux outrage over a recruitment drive? Happening in many a trade. Why shouldn't the Garda have the same chance. Obviously you'll still end up dealing with the lowest of the low and day to day sh1t but there not exactly shouting about how great morale etc here is.

108k AUD is 65k EUR, this seems to include shift allowances etc at the top end. But yeah seems MUCH better

Superannuation is another 10% ish which is pretty darn good.

Tax and cost of living is way lower than Ireland too, that kind of money will go a lot further in Aus than Ire.

And I'm sure the support, training and equipment will be better. You are armed as standard for one.

Quote: Google

Garda Trainees attest after 36 weeks and move onto the first point of the Garda incremental pay scale of €35,322. The incremental scale rises to €55,592 per annum after 8 years with two further increments after 13 and 19 years' service which bring the maximum of the pay scale to €59,842 per annum after 19 years.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,276 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

The uptake is low. Personally I think if a garda is in a position to take up one of these opportunities then they'd be foolish not to but honestly the hot take in this thread, and some of the sensationalised articles, is that half the force is going to leave

This article from Oct 2022 (18 months ago) references an Australian recruitment campaign in 2015 and said 30 gardai took the opportunity.

https://www.thejournal.ie/police-garda-western-australia-5896037-Oct2022/

The previous campaign ran from the mid-2000s and into the early-2010s and saw a number of guards relinquish their policing powers here to head to the western reaches of the sun-kissed continent. Those recruits also featured in an RTE documentary Garda Down Under about their experiences in 2015. At that time, it was reported that 30 gardaí had taken up the offer. 

Western Aus is hardly in the same category as South Australia or NSW etc. Its literal butt **** middle of nowhere and nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭yagan

I've got to agree, lived there for three years and you'd be swapping the causes of the current low moral for the climate extremes and dealing with legacy issues of a brutal racial regime.

When I was there there was a long running saga of a cop who contracted west nile disease in a remote posting and the force pretty much neglected him to the point that other police officers became his full time careering support.

We're talking frontier territory and I'd only advise it for single people looking for a challenge. East coast for those with family.

Edit to ad when I was there I had to drop into a police station in central Perth and ended up having a good chat with a Scot who had been recruited to oz in previous years. Basically his take was the more outback states prefer to recruit from europe as the local intake was still too racist. I've met a good few aussies who'd still call aboriginals vermin, sub human.

I also met a retired cop who had done a but of research of the early years and he said the police force primary job in the federation era was rounding up aboriginals from the native lands to make way for farmers. Shooting aboriginal wasn't a crime, and they're still dealing with the trauma of forced child abduction by the state.

These are legacy issues that any Garda considering a move there has to absorb.

Post edited by yagan on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,276 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Yes, agreed, but I still don't think the uptake would be vastly different. Maybe double it, at the most?

50 expressions of interest so far (by which they mean 50 registrations for the presentation SAPOL will be holding in Dublin later this month)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,197 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It's an open market. Maybe if enough felt fcuked over by their own organisation and country and left for pastures new it might send a message. If I was a guard with no commitments here, I'd be packing my bags too.

In the reverse direction, remember when this country appealed to Irish health care professionals to come home and the empty promises they returned to??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,006 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Personally I think if a garda is in a position to take up one of these opportunities then they'd be foolish not

I don't think it is that black and white TBH.

If they voluntarily leave AGS they are done, there is no returning.

That is a huge consideration.

Advertisement