Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,199 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Averaging near 6 of 18% …out by day with generous allocation in at night on Maize and bales …might leave them off at night next week with freedom to come back to shed ….first fertiliser of year out tomorrow 3/4 bag urea with sulphur on grazing ground …

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭White Clover

I don't think farmers would be paying anything near construction rates or rates in any other physical job so to say labour is expensive is a bit of a stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

When can I go spraying round up? Have a field poached and want to reseed it as early as possible..

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Jack98

Well if you wanted to hold onto labour it would be very expensive, a lot easier money to be made out there. You’d be mad to make a career out of labouring on a dairy farm nowadays and people are waking up to that with many years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Are you over allocating grass to save ground?

couldn’t leave a field gap open here because they’d all be back in the yard as soon as the first cow left

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Danny healy ray

I was talking to a woman recently she does house clean she is over subscribed with clients 18 euro per hour deep clean 20 euro per hour she works around the school run etc good luck with farm worker wages at that rate!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,199 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

No just giving as much as they can eat …cleaning out paddocks v well considering weather and minimal damage

wouldn’t lock cows out at night this time of year find they don’t come back in unless weather is crap or out of grass ….fresh cows don’t go out until 2/3 days calved

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Kerry2021

What’s the going rate for people working on a farm now roughly? €16 per hour for a good man I’d be guessing? Over a 60 hour week that’d be €960/week gross, their take home pay would be €746/week. Not a great career choice

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

That'd be poor enough, they'd deserve more than the hourly rates for overtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,516 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

• Advertisement

You’d get the best part of 960 for doing the weekend shift in several multinationals on the line/floor no dirt in that line of business, no heavy lifting and for 40% of the hours worked.

Depending on outside labour in farming is a risky game, they have no ties to the place like family and are only ever a month away from being gone for good.

I know two farmers offering what you quoted for a full time job have not had one enquiry between the two of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭straight

I suppose the best thing is to work out your own hourly rate first and then adjust down to about 70% of that. 🤣🤣

That's what I was trying to say. There's much better money in other sectors but I often hear farmers saying that they can't get anyone. They can't because the pay rates are too far behind other sectors. As a point of discussion how would people define expensive? People's say food is expensive but I disagree. For labour how would farmers measure the cost compared to other costs on the farm ? X Cents/Litre supplied or just an hourly rate or some other metric?

Two problems there. 60 hours is 1.5 weeks work and €16/hour is about 60% of what a good man is worth in today's labour market.

I think CoOps really need to be passing back more to dairy farmers if they don't want the industry to completely fall away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭ginger22

And Ornua increased the processing costs again. Everyone but the farmer getting their margin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I was playing on Chat GPT this morning

Title: The Case for Fair Milk Prices: Why Irish Farmers Deserve Better

In the picturesque landscapes of Ireland, where rolling green pastures stretch as far as the eye can see, dairy farming is not just a livelihood; it's a way of life deeply ingrained in the nation's culture and economy. However, behind the idyllic scenery lies a pressing issue: the struggle of Irish dairy farmers to receive fair compensation for their milk. In recent years, this issue has come to the forefront, prompting farmers to demand more for their milk sales. Here are several compelling reasons why Irish farmers should indeed demand better prices for their milk:

1. **Rising Costs of Production**: The cost of producing milk continues to rise due to factors such as increasing energy prices, inflation, and the need for sustainable farming practices. From feed and equipment to labor and veterinary care, farmers face mounting expenses in maintaining their dairy operations. Without fair compensation, many farmers find it challenging to cover these essential costs and sustain their businesses.

2. **Volatility in Global Markets**: The dairy industry is highly susceptible to fluctuations in global markets, which directly impact milk prices. Irish farmers often bear the brunt of market volatility, facing unpredictable shifts in demand, trade policies, and currency exchange rates. In such a volatile environment, fair pricing becomes paramount to ensure the stability and viability of dairy farming enterprises across Ireland.

3. **Fair Income for Rural Communities**: Dairy farming plays a crucial role in sustaining rural economies throughout Ireland. Beyond providing jobs and income for farmers, it supports a network of suppliers, processors, and service providers who contribute to the local economy. By demanding fair prices for their milk, farmers not only secure their own livelihoods but also bolster the economic resilience of rural communities, fostering sustainable growth and prosperity.

4. **Investment in Quality and Sustainability**: Irish dairy farmers take pride in producing high-quality milk renowned for its freshness and purity. However, maintaining these standards requires continuous investment in modern technologies, environmental stewardship, and animal welfare practices. Fair milk prices enable farmers to reinvest in their operations, fostering innovation and sustainability while upholding Ireland's reputation as a global leader in dairy excellence.

5. **Ensuring Food Security and Sovereignty**: In an era marked by growing concerns over food security and sovereignty, it is imperative to support domestic food producers and safeguard Ireland's self-sufficiency in dairy products. By demanding fair prices for their milk, farmers ensure the long-term viability of the dairy sector, reducing reliance on imported goods and preserving Ireland's ability to feed its population with wholesome, locally sourced dairy products.

6. **Recognition of Hard Work and Dedication**: Behind every pint of milk is the dedication and hard work of Irish dairy farmers who tend to their herds day in and day out, often under challenging conditions. Fair pricing reflects the true value of their labor and commitment, recognizing the integral role farmers play in sustaining Ireland's agricultural heritage and ensuring the nation's food security for generations to come.

In conclusion, the call for fair milk prices in Ireland is not just a matter of economics; it's a matter of justice, sustainability, and preserving the fabric of rural communities. By demanding better compensation for their milk, Irish farmers assert their right to a dignified livelihood and contribute to the resilience and prosperity of the nation's dairy industry. As consumers, policymakers, and stakeholders, we must stand in solidarity with our farmers and support their pursuit of fair and equitable pricing, ensuring a brighter future for Irish agriculture and the generations to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭older by the day

It's not just farming, two local garages are looking for mechanics. Not one phone call to ask even what the wages are.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Danny healy ray

I see a bit recently on one of the news channels a hotel owner in morocco couldnt get good workers that there all gone to Europe !!

You would not want to be paying a person, 20 an hour to be feeding and bedding the Friesian bull calf this weather. Very poor in skibb today. A lad joked with me that it would not pay to let the light on while calving. Its a pity to see handy calves not sold. Will people go all sexed semen or will that only bring down the Angus and Hereford next year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Pinsnbushings

I'd say a bit of both, will be massive amount of sexed..but I do think the Angus is going to come down in price too

Removing fresian bulls to an extent from the calf market will only lead to the devaluing of aa and he calves significantly I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Pinsnbushings

Ye it is happening this year already I think. I know my calf buyer is trying to knock down the price of the Angus anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Bangoverthebar

Would there not be enough protein in the grass. Do you think id see better results with an 18%. Currently 25l 5.12bf 3.87p a lot of heifers calved, cowd calving later.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭mickey1985

Left a cow into the tankthat calved Thursday morning tonight will I have to get sample tested or would she be OK. Dried 18th December with Cepravin DC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭green daries

• Registered Users Posts: 6,678 ✭✭✭jaymla627

I'd say your in bother, cepravin is 4 day withhold isn't it?

I'd be dumping the tank if it was me, cepravin has been known to fail tanks even where the 96 hour withold was done to the book

Get co op to test it wouldn’t surprise me if it passed, if you’re a long way through calving it’ll be diluted in the tank anyway if there is plenty volume in it. Wouldn’t be running to dump anything until you get confirmation via a test.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Test it. It’s happened here before and been okay

• Advertisement

Definitely get it tested. You are only 36hrs since calving. Should be 96

At best it will pass.

At worst fill every container in the farm for calves for a few days. Better than friggin up a lorry of milk.

Advertisement