Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Referendum on Gender Equality (THREADBANS IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

There is no opposition in the Dail. Apart from the likes of Aontu and a few Indos it is like the politburo in Leinster House.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Not remotely- such is the left wing echo chamber these people inhabit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

I wonder how many government ministers will have a sleepless night knowing that tomorrow is going to be a bad day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

The McKenna principle states that public money cannot be used to advocate for a position on any referendum. That is of course quite correct, the State should not seek influence the public.

If public money was found to be in favour of a No vote then the Courts could determine that the vote was invalid and should be rerun.

If for example an NGO erected partisan posters it purchased with public money or was displaying partisan campaign material on a website funded by public money then it would be in breach of the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭KevMayo88

I think if both referendums are defeated, there will be fairly little fallout. All the main political parties in the Dail including the main opposition supported the referendums so it would be sort of hypocritical of them to be pointing fingers in the event of a defeat- they would all share in the loss. Instead, the defeats will likely be blamed on the public "not understanding" the wording, or "unhelpful online misinformation".

I will strive to pay my TV licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Caquas

The grassroots of all these parties would be furious with their party leadership that these nonsensical referendums were foisted on them shortly before the local and European elections. The SF Ard Comhairle will roast Mary Lou and her support for the referendums will be linked with the party’s massive drop in support.

There will be lots of independent candidates, especially at the local elections, who will try and make hay from the embarrassment which all the parties will suffer if it’s a No,No tomorrow. Future governments will be very slow to push agendas that are out of kilter with public opinion.

Hands off our Constitution should be the watchword tomorrow.

To me it is an utterly shameful for our governement to have pissed away over €23 million euro on staging two referendums that even if passed will offer zero benefits or improvements to a single citizen. Even for that travesty alone they need to be defeated, in the hope that in future referenda would not be called for leftist idealogical nonsense.

That €23 million could have literally given some real-world ease to carers by providing scores of new respite beds/places up and down the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Augme, you have put up a stout defense for a Yes vote for the past while but TBF I dont think you will vote Yes/Yes tomorrow, you are tuned in enough to know the proposed wording is nonsense.The AG has confirmed it will cause problems, there is no shame in changing your vote now, many people are now doing the same and joining the No side. You were misled by an inept minister and government.

The Journal literally doing a "fact-check" article now telling everyone that sending someone a Christmas card would not constitute a "durable relationship". Riveting, incisive stuff there- I think they will clench it for the yes side now 😁

The €23 Million is only the tip of the iceberg. It does not include the costs of all the countless hours of civil service, legal and parliamentary time wasted on these useless amendments. And don’t forget the Assembly whose recommendations were binned.

This is one situation where a protest vote is justified. It’s not as if there was anything to be gained by a Yes vote.

The Ditch has published the AG’s advice on the referendums which the Government refused to publish. It looks genuine although not a perfect copy.

The AG argues that the Care amendment would have ‘real effects’, and give rise to much litigation. I don’t see why this should be so when mothers never benefited from virtually identical wording.

A point no one has noticed before now. The Irish language amendment for Article 42.B uses a phrase for “strive” which differs from the Irish version of “strive” in Article 45. Confusing ensues.

https://www.irishtimes.com/politics/2024/03/07/wording-for-referendum-proposals-would-have-real-effects-says-ag-in-unpublished-advice/

To those who suggested Michael McDowell an exaggerated scaremonger in his critcism of the amendments, do you still feel the same after seeing the AG's advice?----- McDowell has been fully vindicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭whatisayis

You mean you give up trying to dig yourself into a deeper hole. You still haven't outlined why no one has yet taken a Constitutional challenge about the level of support that's guaranteed by the government not being good enough either.

Sigh....What do you think the upcoming challenge in April is about?

When did i say they were strive to provide support outside the family? This what I posted earlier today.

I know, hence the reason i never said they did. As I said, the government will have a legal obligation to make some attempt to provide care for families who have a member who is disabled. That doesn't exist under the current Constitution.

The current Constitution and the proposed amendment provide no mention of the State providing any level of assistance to people with a disability outside the family.

And you will eventually, I hope, understand that is exactly why so many people are opposed to the proposed amendment.

There you go making things up again. It really doesn't help your credibility. What makes you think I never heard of a court overturning a decision made by a government

Because this is what you said.

They can push for them as much as they are pushing for them now and will get the same results. As I said Norma Foley said last night that the State is already striving to support care so, unless the amendment says the state "will strive even harder than they do now", it will make no difference.

You've already ruled out any possible change because a government minister has said so. But the Court could very easily disagree with Norma Foley and the Government's decision on that. Also, given you said this early

no one can ever accurately predict the outcome of a Supreme Court case.

It's great to see you've changed your turn and you now feel you can accurately predict the outcome of a Supreme Court Case!

What on earth are you trying to say here? I quite honestly can not make head nor tail of this.

I'm actually not going respond to the rest of your post. I apologise for that because it's a first for me to opt out of a debate but I'll just agree to disagree with you at this stage.

One large group who will vote No, No with a vengeance today - women forced to take annual leave on International Womens Day because their children’s schools are being used as polling stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Is it though? They just seem like one big Mono-Party at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I think the bookies genuinely can't call it and are being swayed by the betting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭H_Lime

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Augme

I'll definitely be voting yes on the family referendum. I hadnt fully decided on the care vote but the AG advice is definitely pushing me more towards a Yes due the below

There can be little doubt that the obligation on the state to ‘strive’ to support the provision of care will have real effects which will be enforced by the courts, and that it will be relied upon in a very wide range of contexts in support of claims that the constitution requires the state to provide, and/or support the provision of care.

This could have the effect of drawing the courts further into questions of resource allocation than is currently the case and could result in declaratory orders against the state with significant financial implications.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭ExoPolitic

In law, "strive" means nothing; "must" is the word you have to see for something to be required.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Augme

It doesn't mean nothing. Words in law pretty never mean nothing. Each word is analysised by the court and will be used to determine an outcome on a case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭techdiver

The naivety of people supporting the care referendum is astounding. You have been played like a fiddle by the government. Initially referring to it as "A Referendum on Women's place in the home" sewed the idealist seed. Appeal to the progressive in all of us and then do a bait and switch on the wording.

Why wasn't the wording from the citizens assembly used? That would pass easily. The only correct course of action is to vote it down so they can improve the wording and run it again. If it is passed that opertunity is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭ExoPolitic

Strive would count as a suggestion, not mandatory. Must is seen in law as a requirement and what every must refers to is a requirement. I've used this in court before.

Whenever a government minister has taken part in a debate on radio or tv they have been schooled. So why do they keep punishing themselves when they know they are flogging a dead horse and when they also know they will be getting schooled time and time again.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I believe all the main opposition parties were critical of the specific wording of both referendums and took their time rowing in behind them so they will likely focus on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I think it will be no. "If in doubt throw it out"...there is just too much uncertainty here as to how society could actually be affected by these changes in reality from inheritance to immigration.

It's too much of a risk to vote yes yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I recall Ivanka Bacik and others in opposition say "..we're not completely happy with the working but...(vote yes anyway)" , so if it's a no they will be pointing the finger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭combat14

houses not bs distraction referendums

Advertisement