Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

March 8th - What’s your vote? **Mod Note In Post #677**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭KevMayo88

Voting NO for both

To those who suggested Michael McDowell an exaggerated scaremonger in his critcism of the amendments, do you still feel the same after seeing the AG's advice?----- McDowell has been fully vindicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,538 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

What ever your view on this is. I like this card.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,899 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

That AG advice should surely settle the care vote as it seems not only is there serious concerns from the AG whether it would stand up. There’s issues with the Irish version.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,456 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Voting NO for both

It’s a No No + No No household here.

I don’t like the whole heather humphries trying to buy the yes vote by insinuating she’ll get more money at budget time for carers if a yes goes through- this extra money should be there for carers anyway!

Also what’s a durable relationship? The courts don’t have a definition on it, so would a Polygamous relationship be deemed a durable relationship by the courts?

Also sec 41.2 states, “the State recognises that by her life within the home, woman gives to the State a support without which the common good cannot be achieved” and

“mothers shall not be obliged by economic necessity to engage in labour to the neglect of their duties in the home”.

Ok so what’s wrong with this if a woman chooses to stay at home and not enter the workplace? The above statement hasn’t stopped women from entering and excelling in the workplace has it?

Why are we now putting the emphasis of care on the family and giving the government a more hands off approach by saying they’ll “strive to support” these carers:

The referendum proposes replacing this with article 42B, which recognises the support given to society by “the provision of care, by members of a family to one another by reason of the bonds that exist among them”, and says that the state “shall strive to support” these carers.

So at the moment we have:

Women will not have to work if they don’t want to because the state will support her to stay at home- ie if the women would have to get a job to cover costs of caring etc well then the state is obliged to step in.

The proposed is:

whoever is in the family giving care is recognised by the state and the state will strive to help.

Have I got this right? It doesn’t seem like a great deal to me tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

No to both.anything being proposed by the most dangerous minister in the history of this state,O’Gorman should be enough too prompt people to get up off their arses and vote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,899 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Will there be an exit poll thread tomorrow ? There normally is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Augme

Voting YES for both

Strive quite clearly isn't nothing. From the advice...

there can be little doubt that the obligation on the state to ‘strive’ to support the provision of care will have real effects which will be enforced by the courts, and that it will be relied upon in a very wide range of contexts in support of claims that the constitution requires the state to provide, and/or support the provision of care”.

This could have the effect of drawing the courts further into questions of resource allocation than is currently the case and could result in declaratory orders against the state with significant financial implications.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Panrich

Voting YES for both

The type of lunatics opposing this means a yes from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,387 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Voting NO for both

I doubt it. Exit polls are expensive and no one seems to give a **** about this.

While no-no seems to have the momentum and the leak seems to vindicate the no-no stance most people will have made their mind up already. No voters tend to be more vocal online too, so there's that bias to be aware of.

Personally think they are too close to call. There may be a natural yes inclination in the electorate but this could be countered by a more motivated no vote. It won't pass imo if turnout is below 40%

A no-no vote I think will be a bellwether for an absolutely disastrous local and European election for established parties. If either pass, then there is an appetite for the status quo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Simi

Voting YES for both

Not really a great reason to vote in favor of a constitutional amendment. I'm unhappy with the, so vague its practically meaningless, language they've used. Don't think I'll vote tbh. I'm not opposed to changing the current provisions, but the proposed amendments need more work in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,387 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Voting NO for both

It was a calculated leak. Sent to a small disliked outlet late, after the moratorium, it is a political insurance policy. Leaked late so it is unlikely to influence the vote, but at the same time if the referendums fail to get carried, it puts the blame squarely on O'Gorman and puts him in the firing line.

I have a strong suspicion of which office this came from.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

Voting YES for both

I’m off to vote Yes -Yes

Thank you all for helping me to make up my mind.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Voting NO for both

Major push last night from government last night, my X feed is full of vote yes/yes. Off now to vote no/no.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

I am far from " lunatic" most people would consider me "conservative". Whilst I agree with the fact that the Constitution needs to be changed from time to time to reflect modern society, this lazy abysmal effort by the present government needs to be rejected. The very reason law is written in such a long winded way is to narrow down as much as possible the interpretation that it intended. These 2 referendum changes leave a lot to be desired in that regard, utterly confusing and open to many interpretations. My NO votes are nothing to do with lunacy at all.

Should I stop supporting anything in life that i like because I hear that a "lunatic" happens to support things, teams whatever ..that I like..... not very rational thinking ?

My call on this NO votes is based on very rational concerns and a kick up the arse to the Government for a bad bad job of this .

• Registered Users Posts: 39 jopper

Voting NO for both

With the Attorney General advising against the wording, it has to be a solid No / No. Any legal professional worth their salt who is unbiased and clearly not following an agenda or afraid to upset advertisers for their employer are advising to vote no. This whole vote seems to be rushed through far too quickly without proper opportunity for scrutiny to make an informed decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

jesus, are governments parties really in trouble in regards the ge, this has been one monumental fcuk up, nobody has a clue about whats really been asked here!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,596 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Voting NO for both

I was open to voting yes for both

BUT - having read up on it, watched and listened to debates, and considering the very lacklustre campaign by Govt parties (very few posters, NO canvassing in my area) -

I will vote NO NO - too much uncertainty and a sense of a rush job for whatever reason...

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭KevMayo88

Voting NO for both

And a smart and well-informed mind it is 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭JPCN1

Voting NO for both

And yet here you are.

I would bet most Boards posters like myself voted yes on many previous referenda like SSM.

As has been noted previously I had not one canvasser from a govt party. I don’t think many of their own foot soldiers had much confidence it it, which is in itself unsurprising with the performance and increasing arrogance of the present government. (Which I voted for).

• Registered Users Posts: 31 CoastalCork

I voted yes marriage equality and repeal the 8th .But I'm defo No and No hear

Why would I buy a pig in a poke and vote otherwise.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 CoastalCork

Additionally I must express my Admiration for Peadar Tobin...

He was a first class opposition politician....shinners are pathetic opposition

Voting NO for both

What an utterly childish comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Voting NO for both

I haven't been up to speed with this at all, I don't really watch TV or listen to the radio, but when I first heard about these amendments I was yes/yes in principle. Now having genuinely spent a few hours yesterday and this morning trying to understand it all I'm very much leaning towards No/No simply because I haven't been convinced by anyone that Yes/Yes is a good change. The No side have presented some clear and compelling reasons for their opinion, while the Yes side have simply not given me the same degree of certainty and clarity.

I'm far from anti-government or anti-establishment, and would consider myself to be quite progressive and liberal minded overall, but the uncertainty around these changes and the potential for unintended consequences is too high.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

Voting NO for both

@[Deleted User] how do you set up a multiple choice poll. Was gonna start an exit poll but I’m afraid to click the “save” button!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,326 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Voting NO for both

Lots of well thought out, well constructed and well considered arguments here from the No-No posters.

And lots of personal insults and spite from the Yes-Yes posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,326 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

Voting NO for both

As you well know that’s not the reason rather than an observation that in past referenda canvassers did call because they believed in the changes being called for.

I do think changes are required but this was ill considered and poorly communicated which is no great surprise.

Your comment was childish.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,950 ✭✭✭circadian

Voting YES for both

This is exactly where I'm at. Not opposed to the sentiment being put forward but everything is so vague. As for the headbangers going for a no-no therefore people should go yes-yes, that's a mad way to look at it. The cranks would vote against this if it guaranteed them a million euro at the end of the year because it's some sort of government conspiracy.

I'm assuming, and this is where the issue is, that the concept of a durable relationship would need to be legislated for. I don't know if that's the case or if it's just some vague term to imply a long term (how long??) living arrangement.

EDIT: Just to note, my other half just went off on one about this. Basically any provisions in the Consitution are already largely ignored since there are no extra financial supports for single income families to actually hold up;

“The State shall, therefore, endeavour to ensure that mothers shall not be obliged by economic necessity to engage in labour to the neglect of their duties in the home.”

Basically, women who want to stay at home with their families are effectively coerced into working because the cost of not doing so makes staying at home prohibitive for many along with there being absolutely no support in the form of childcare when there are 2 working parents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I am voting NO (family amendment)

I was trying to word a reply along these lines but you've hit it on the head. I'm not the type to say "the headbangers want x so I'll vote y". I prefer to make a decision based on the information out there, and the whole "durable relationship" bit just doesn't sit well with me. It sounds like a can of worms waiting to be opened.

Advertisement