Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zgemma H7s Guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Also have a Vu Solo2 and H7S and the H7S is better as its a 4K box . But if using on 28.2 as some programs are old recording and look bad. Same program with a recent date has a sharper image.

Also quality of HDMI cables can have a bearing on picture.

4K picture on 4K tv is good.

Newer boxes seem to get better as time goes by.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Eleusis

Are you saying it's just old programs on 28.2 look bad? I think they look bad on every device and tv.

Hs7 is superior quality vu? But as you say newer boxes seem to get better, but the Hs7 is fairly old (unless they update hardware on them)?

I wouldn't be using it for 4k. Only freesat and Freeview and I dont think any 4k available on either of those?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭wassie

I recall there was a UHD demo channel - havent seen it of late though.

EG looking at series 1 of NCIS very grainy picture . Latest series 20 was much better for viewing .

H7S was a newer box than the solo2.

Not sure how many triple tuners are on the market.

H7S is cheaper than a Vu for sure. Vu were always over priced units but better quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭dam099

Quality of HDMI cables makes no difference to picture quality unless it’s bad enough to cause the picture to fail completely. Any half decent €10 Amazon basics cable or similar should work perfectly.

• Advertisement

But it does as been through that argument many times with people .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

If an HDMI cable fails its with freezes, frame drops, pixellation or not working at all as some or all of the digital information transferred may get corrupted. It's not going to be a poorer picture as it may be with an analog cable, e.g. AV or coax. Like in a washed out picture with snow or interferences or so. Maybe this is where some of the argument/misunderstanding comes from.

So both statements are true sort of. HDMI is digital and therefore one might think it either works or it doesnt. But this statement is true for an individual data packet transferred not necessarily for the whole transmission.

So it's more like three states if you like. a) the transmission works faultless, b) the transmission works with faults (data packet drops) or c) it doesnt work at all. A 'droppy' transmission may still result in a picture/sound but it's going to be poorer.

Also poor cables might break more easily or might not take to bending etc. A decent cable will not break the bank no need to go for the cheapest possible.

Edit: Wikipedia explains this, look at the TMDS section: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI. Video data is transferred in packets of 32 pixels secured with a checksum. Such a packet may get corrupted or else you wouldnt need a checksum.

Post edited by CalamariFritti on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭dam099

I’d agree with all that, my point is more that you don’t need to be spending big money on premium cables which I’ve seen go for €100+. I wouldn’t go for the cheapo pound shop ones either but well made moderately priced cables cost only around €10 and can comfortably pass 4K HDR. If you got 2 €10 ones and eventually one breaks you would still be ahead of having spent on a premium cable.

The cable doesn’t have to be 100% perfect, like you mention there is error checking so once it’s not having more errors than the error correction can handle it will still be a perfect picture.

I myself have put it to the test with picture quality and upgraded to a better one as i like a crisp sharp image on tv .

At that time there was not a good choice and wanted a 20ft hdmi cable and no loss of quality of Blu ray.

Sometimes i have found cables that come with boxes are not perfect and need upgrading.

I will say if tv is good and your not happy upgrade cable from your box.

That has fixed other peoples issue when i was told it wont , seeing is believing.

I totally agree with that. There are people who fall for the gold plated stuff. Honestly even 'back then' when the world was analogue and going over board with cables, connectors, components in the high-end sound space had some sort of justification I thought most of it was ripoff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭wassie

And given all the content on Freesat is 1080i at best, a bog standard HDMI 1.4 cable will be more than sufficient for the job with the HS7.

Heck, RGB connections would be enough for most of poverty SD shite on Saorview.

Post edited by wassie on

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭redoctober

Hi guys,

Box has been going great the past couple of months since getting advice on here. Thanks.

An issue cropped up last night. I previously had an auto-timer set to record match of the day on BBC1 Wales HD. I wanted to set up an autotimer for BBC1 London. Even though I had previously deleted and cancelled the Wales one it still came up so creating a clash. I realised what was going on and deleted the Wales one again. However, something weird then happened where I went to watch Yesterday channel and it wouldn't show. I then noticed that Tuner A & B were highlighted as if I were still recording two programmes. I checked the record list using the green button but only one recording was showing: the BBC London one.

I turned on the box this morning and Tuner A&B were still highlighted on the bottom left of EPG bar. Is there somewhere else I can check what's lined up to record as this list doesn't seem reliable (as I've previously deleted scheduled recordings only for them to reappear again)? Or is something else going on? Thanks very much.

There's an interplay between autotimers and timers I think. For one thing timers are manually created recordings by you. But I think timers are also being created by autotimers. I think it's how autotimers work. They periodically scan the epg and create timers for you.

Check both autotimers and timers. I'm thinking the now deleted autotimer had already create next weeks timer before you deleted it and you ended in a conflict when you created the new autotimer that then created a timer around the same time of the existing timer.

If it cant be figured out easily by UI then ssh (or web terminal) into the box and check out autotimer.xml and timers.xml in /etc/enigma2. Chances are the conflict resolved itself by now but no harm in checking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,474 ✭✭✭swoofer

To delete autotimers you go menu timers autotimers press yellow and you get a message say yes then press green. Do you know hat image and version you are using go menu information about.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭redoctober

Thanks guys. Yes i think it was that i had input the auto timer a few times creating multiple timers thereby creating clashes. I've done a bit of cleaning up in the timer menu and after a reboot that seems to be sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,252 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Anyone know new frequency for Now 70s

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

11082 H 22000 5/6 DVB-S QPSK

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭bootser

Quick question on this box, thinking of buying one from Holland(bout €150) so it will arrive with an EU plug. Is the plug a built in adaptor or could I cut off the 2 pin plug and replace?

TIA

builtin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,797 ✭✭✭DopeTech

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Where's that from? I'm on the lookout for any deals also.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭bootser

Postage to Ireland seems to add about €17 to the €130, but looks like it will deliver no problem.

Would prefer to avoid adaptors if possible but...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I posted a video in the "Would a complete layman..." thread, where this snap on type of adapter is recommended for safety.

https://www.satworld.ie/2-pin-to-3-pin-plug-adapter-eu-to-irl-uk.html

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Bear in mind that's the price without any HDD or SSD.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

That won't work in this case as it's a block power supply with a built in plug, not a 2 pin EU type plug

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭dermo2014

I got it for 159 euro delivered including 500 gig ssd from World Of Satellite at the £99 price.

It's gone up to £109 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭Payton

Hi..my Trivar box is playing up again and I need to update, I've been watching this thread and this box seems to be all sing and dancing. Is there any issues with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 ZMOONY

• Advertisement

Advertisement