Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

March 8th - What’s your vote? **Mod Note In Post #677**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

Voting NO for both

I had the same debate with the Mrs about the state and that they don't actually do what the constitution says. A woman who was denied the carers allowance is bringing a case against the state using what is currently in the constitution.

Among the issues in the appeal by a woman caring for her adult son, who has serious developmental disabilities, is whether Article 41.2 of the Constitution, recognising the work of women in the home, has any role concerning the State's obligations when setting the level of the means-tested carer's allowance.

If the vote yes goes through here then this woman wont have a case.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Voting NO for both

This whole last minute guilt trip about kids waking up Saturday morning upset if it’s a no.

Basically telling us if we use our democratic vote not in the way the government likes we are all wrong and bad people.

Leo and co, what have you become.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,419 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Voting YES for both

When only the headbangers want you to vote no, and everyone else wants a vote yes, and even the most reasonable no voters are against it because it doesn't go far enough, rather than being a bad change in itself....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,258 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Abstaining

Can't you read? Don't make me tap the sign again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,889 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Voting YES for both

I'm off out to vote yes/yes. My apologies to the fine folk in this thread who think Michael McDowell is god's gift and Peadar Toibin with is the most amazing politician in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Voting NO for both

I said in my post that I spent a few hours researching it yesterday. I can't concisely put it into words as to why I voted no; it was a bit of everything from articles, debates, online commentary, etc etc. I just consistently found myself unconvinced by the Yes side.

For the first amendment, for me it ultimately boils down to the fact that 'durable relationship' means absolutely nothing and we have no guidance from anyone as to what the scope of it may be. I get that we don't want hard definitions in the Constitution and that's fine, but there should have been far more supplementary information at least on what even the intention of the term is. Right now I'm being asked to add a very loaded term to the Constitution with zero information as to the scope of it.

Secondly, if the amendment around mothers' duties was simply to take the sexist terminology out of it then it should have just changed that to 'a parent' or some other gender neutral terminology. Instead they've specifically changed it to the provision of care which again is very loaded, and replaced ensure with support. It doesn't go far enough for me and with the various care and disability groups out there advocating for no it just cements that decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,184 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Voting NO for both

In general I'd like to support these changes just as was happy to vote repeal the 8th. But the proposed wordings are a major let down, vague and unsatisfactory. In this situation, do no harm & keep things as they are. That's two Nos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Exactly, and it's no coincidence in the timing of the change of referendum. They fear a legal precedent.

There's far too many well meaning voters out there who are asleep at the wheel. They're bad fcuking actors this govt.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Augme

Voting YES for both

How did you not anything on the term durable relationship? There has been lots of information about it. Here's one from the Chair of the Electoral Commission...

There have been a few cases in the courts in the last few years, judgments from the Supreme Court and some judgments from the High Court, which have identified the various indicators as to durability in a relationship.”

“There are all kinds of things, some of them are subjective and some of them are objective. So subjectively, a relationship is durable, if committed, if it presents itself as committed, if it means to be committed, if it intends to be committed.

“Its durability can sometimes be how you are treated by other people. Are you are you invited as a couple to weddings? Do people send Christmas cards to both of you? These are the indicators of your commitment to each other,” she added.

• Advertisement

Voting NO for both

Yeah I do appreciate that, but I suppose I wasn't trying to convince anyone else with my post I was just making a point about my own vote.

All in all I genuinely would have liked to have supported these amendments but I just feel that I couldn't in their current form without a lot more information that wasn't provided either in the literature or in debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,387 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Voting NO for both

Who has come out with that shite? If No is carried then nothing changes obviously.

Anyway, I've cast my no-no vote. As I have said previously, easiest No ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Augme

Voting YES for both

If the vote went through she would have a different, arguably stronger case though.

Voting NO for both

That's still not a well worded definition, it's far too subjective. I know they're just two off the cuff examples she gave and not to be taken literally as definition but that's simply her opinion and provides no scope. If we have examples from previous high court cases why not use them to illustrate the point? The answer is that they didn't want to because it's too vague. You can't leave it up to the regular voter to go hunting down legal decisions, put it in front of them.

What I would have liked to have seen was a document or something that said when you are being asked to vote, a durable relationship can be considered as... and then a list of potential things that could be characteristic of a durable relationship. In the absence of that certainty I had to vote no.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Voting NO for both

Mod:-

As people (and boards posters) go out to vote today, please be mindful of being civil to each other on this thread and not to resort to angry, spiteful or childish tactics. Failure to be civil will result in threadbans being doled out.

JK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dmakc

Voting NO for both

Helen said it on the debate Wednesday night as her closing punchline

• Registered Users Posts: 9,165 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Voting YES for both

This has been one of the most confusing referendums of my lifetime. We seem to be making a big hullabaloo over something that will make minimal effect to the daily lives of anybody in our country. The disinformation is rife and exacerbated by the confusion. For this reason I accept peoples reasons for voting no in either or both referendums.

With that being said I will be voting yes/yes for the following reasons

All political parties, bar Aontú, are for yes/yes

The Irish bishops are calling for no/no

The views of neither Aontú nor the Irish bishops have aligned with my views in the past

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Ronald Binge Redux

Voting YES for both

I voted Yes Yes. Up here it's only Aontú campaigning so even if I hadn't already made up my mind that certainly wouldn't change it. Two factors have impacted votes towards No, I was shown a video claiming that divorcing women who worked in the home would have no rights over the family home. Clearly scaremongering but my reply was "who would legislate for that, even if it was possible through a loophole? The other is the muddying of the waters around the care referendum. I was a (male) carer for my parents before their deaths, and afaic the wording is an improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

Voting NO for both

I made an exit poll in current affairs. Hope I covered all options. There is a max of 10!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Voting NO for both

Leo and Helen I’ve heard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,887 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

It amazes me how many people are making a decision based purely on how someone else is voting. It's so stupid, regardless of what way they're voting.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Voting NO for both

This is the world we live in now.

Decisions are made based on the messenger rather than the message, and polarisation of debate has led to a nonsense situation where many seem to think that just because someone is for or against a particular issue, that they must be on the same "side" for all other issues, related or not.

It's incredibly dangerous for debate and democracy in general - once again an example of importing America's divisive culture politics and Republican/Democrat divide.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,887 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Yeah, it's all about what team they are on. Political issues are just a game or sport to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,854 ✭✭✭✭Sadb

Voting YES for both

I’m confused about that case- essentially the argument is not about the carers allowance but rather that carers allowance should not be means tested? As an extension of that, if the wording of the constitution remains as is, mothers should be able to claim an allowance for the work they do at home regardless of the means that are already coming into the home?

Maybe I’m misunderstanding the case but I cannot see how that could possibly be won.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Hawkeye123

Voting NO for both

I voted early. No X 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Hawkeye123

Voting NO for both

I am what Leo would call "far right", i.e. a normal person. But, I would concede I am not a leftist. Consequently Aontú were never on my radar, but fair play to them for standing up for what they believe in. Aontú are an unusual combination of leftism and moral conservatism. I reckon both referendums will be defeated and Aontú will rightly claim to be more atune with the Irish people than any of the parties that supported the referendum.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Voting NO for both

Voting NO for both

Nothing against the government, i think they are doing the right thing, but only did it half arse.

Things like this needs to be air tight and I feel the language is too vague to go into our constitution and open to legal attacks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,165 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Voting YES for both

Aontú are the result of Peadar Toibín splitting from Sinn Fein over the referendum to repeal the 8th so yeah they would be economically left and agree with a lot of what the leftist parties would sing about from that point of view while at the same time being quite conservative in other matters

• Registered Users Posts: 7,387 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Voting NO for both

If a No-No vote is returned, it would be first major break with the social liberal consensus since divorce was rejected in 1986.

Still too close to call imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Voting YES for both

It's funny, if you look at the thread on this on reddit Ireland, the majority are all yes/yes or at least yes/no, with the posters there generally being younger and more liberal compared to boards. Goes to show that the few remaining posters here are all male and conservative, so I'm not sure this thread is a good indication of the result, but I still wouldn't be surprised if No/No is the outcome, it will be very close I think.

Advertisement