Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Referendum on Gender Equality (THREADBANS IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

Trying to set up an exit poll using my phone. Will it automatically set it as multiple choice? I haven’t clicked save yet…

Help!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭This is it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Augme

The word must will never be used in terms of providing care though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

"......A point no one has noticed before now. The Irish language amendment for Article 42.B uses a phrase for “strive” which differs from the Irish version of “strive” in Article 45. Confusing ensues"

There was another post earlier that explained how some words from the current Irish text meant something different than the translation in the current english version. (will try to find the post)

I'm curious about this and this might be a stupid question but, if Irish is the first official language and the english translation has a slightly different meaning, which is the 'correct' text? Which words would be considered in the case of a legal challenge?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭suvigirl

So just issues with families from non white western countries then?

The Irish is the correct text. The Constitution, technically, is translated into English from the Irish version.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Irish. If there's any confusion the Irish language is primary.

Afaik, teaghlach means family yet the english text says home.

1° Go sonrach, admhaíonn an Stát go dtugann an bhean don Stát, trína saol sa teaghlach, cúnamh nach bhféadfaí leas an phobail a ghnóthú dá éagmais.

2° Uime sin, féachfaidh an Stát lena chur in áirithe nach mbeidh ar mháithreacha clainne, de dheasca uireasa, dul le saothar agus faillí a thabhairt dá chionn sin ina ndualgais sa teaghlach.

1° In particular, the State recognises that by her life within the home, woman gives to the State a support without which the common good cannot be achieved.

2° The State shall, therefore, endeavour to ensure that mothers shall not be obliged by economic necessity to engage in labour to the neglect of their duties in the home.

Does that mean all the ri-ra about 'women in the home' is because of a bad translation?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

i mean a boards exit poll is pointless, vast majority of the people that still post here, and there's only a few of us left, are conservative males who will vote no no. the reality is that it will probably be much closer to 50/50 for both sides in the real world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Caquas

The Constitution itself says the Irish language version takes precedence over the English text. The Supreme Court often discusses the Irish language version but I don't know if any major decision has turned on a difference between the two versions.

I posted here previously to say the debate about the meaning of "durable relationships" should really be about the meaning of "ar chóngais bhuanfasacha eile" which is what the Supreme Court would focus on if the amendment is passed. The Electoral Commission was embarrassed because its first version of the Irish text was wrong.

In ordinary speech, "caidreamh" is used when speaking about personal relationships so I wonder why cóngas was chosen? Does it, for example, imply an intimate relationship or is it in anyway more restrictive than "relationships" which is an all-encompassing word (as Rodrick wanted). The good news? buanfasach does mean durable. The bad news for Minister Butler - it does not mean "permanent" or "stable" (but you knew that already).

We’ll never know now as the poll thread was closed down

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Marcos

Go to the courts service website, and search for the words durable relationship in the judgements. I did and found 78 judgements they all seem to relate to immigration law and are people suing the minister for justice because they have been denied asylum etc.

Durable relationships haven't been referenced in inheritance, pensions or tax law yet. But if this passes you can be sure it will.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Marcos

Someone on tv said exactly the same thing you said, and that money could have built a respite centre in Monaghan / Cavan area which currently doesn't have one.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

Thanks for the information - it's times like this that I regret my poor knowledge of our first language.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,099 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

You needn't have any regrets as you are well within the norm of the vast majority and this majority understands this debate in terms of the phrase 'durable relationship. That's what people are voting on.

That the Irish version should take precedence is a disgraceful anti democratic provision.

The very next referendum should be to reverse this and make Hiberno English the first language of the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭robbiezero

4/6 with Boyles now for a No/No.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭Shelga

I’m going out to vote in a bit and I’ve never been more confused when at the ballot box. I’m leaning No No but I’m just annoyed at the government, mostly. Voters should feel empowered, and I don’t feel that at all.

I don’t want the constitution to contain outdated language about women’s duties in the home, but the care amendment isn’t strong enough, and in the family amendment, the term “durable relationships” is a complete mess. I still don’t know after weeks of reading about it, whether it refers to romantic partnerships, or familial ones, or both 🤷🏻‍♀️

A total shambles all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,863 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Or how long constitutes a "durable relationship" ?????????

The big stumbling block on that one is FFG have no interest in sufficient provision of care for people with a disability.

• Advertisement

Agree and then I found it even more confusing after I read that the care articles in the Irish text don't say 'home' in either part, but actually says 'family'. 😳 The 'home' is how it was translated back in the day.

No idea what legal difference it makes but a womans 'life within the family' sounds more acceptable to me than a 'womans life within the home'.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭KevMayo88

Did my good deed for the day- drove two elderly brothers who live near me to vote. Both hadn't any interest in the referendum, but I was able to convince them to vote No/No

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Plutarch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

is there an exit poll? when do we get an indication of the result?

I don't think we will see an exit poll- they are expensive and this has been a campaign the public generally couldn't care less about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Caquas

We don't need an exit poll. Turnout was always going to be the key metric because very few people would turn out to vote YES,YES. Why would they? For a pat on the head - we recognise your lovely family ! How well you care for them!

If the turnout exceeds 35% (about average for a stand-alone referendum), the Yes side will be sweating.

I'm just back from my local polling station - streams of voters in and out in the middle of the afternoon. Turnout could easily get to 50% there.

This could go over 60% NO,NO. No wonder BoyleSports will only give 1/2 now for NO/NO. They can read the signs.

What a salutary dose of reality the politicians may get tomorrow! 90% of them stayed as far as they could from these piles of manure excreted from the bowels of Government Buildings but the leadership of all the parties would have a lot of explaining to do.

It will be a fabulous and damning indictment tomorrow to have the public reject something peddled by virtually all of the mainstream political parties.

I also really hope that with a No/No vote and the subsequent post-mortems, there will be real pressure put on Roderic after the AG's advice bombshell.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭thegame983

Don't worry.

If it doesn't pass they will just call everyone 'far right' tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭techdiver

Voted No to both. I broadly agree with the intent of both proposals but the government once again has been duplicitous in it's treatment of the electorate and did not deal in good faith with this.

If the wording for the care referendum was as was originally proposed by the citizens assembly it would have passed easily. I would love to know what goes through the heads of those that frame these amendments?

Both my wife and I voted the same and we are liberal and in our early 40's. The very demographic that would normally support these amendments (as we did for Gay Marriage and Abortion), but the government have screwed up big time on this one and I really hope both are defeated so they can be re-ran with appropriate wording.

From talking to my less politically engaged friends and acquaintances, this is one of the worst referendums ever ran in the state. Hardly anyone I talked to has a clue what this is about (perhaps that is by design to keep turnout low so it'll pass without fanfare). I keep reminding them that not turning out to vote is essentially voting yes and you should never let a referendum pass if there is any doubt, because once an amendment is passed it will be very unlikely to be revisited in our lifetimes.

At least with the more polarising referenda over the years there was a clear choice whether you agreed or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,730 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Funny the way you get more right wing as you get older...

Glazers Out!

Advertisement