Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling Ireland 2024 road calendar

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

Many heading to race in Navan tomorrow? Weather Supposed to be similar to today which was a cracker for racing in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭seamusk84

Great race in the A4. Stuck with the peloton the whole time and moved around it with ease.

Didn’t finish in the top 8 but just a second or two away.

That main crash where the lads touched wheels and one went down happened right in front of me, the lad went down hard. Anyone know how he is?

Rider ok but I think he made sh1te of his bike

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,771 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Any reports from today?

• Advertisement

Super days racing 3 A4s managed to stay away from the A3 break so kudos to them

The A1/2 had 3 lads up the road and then the bunch. Was a nasty crash at the finish line thankfully rider walked away but his bike is toast.

The women’s race was pretty strung out but was won on a 3 up sprint

Big congrats to Navan on a very well run event. They also had a ridiculous amount of prizes for all categories. Numbers may have been down on what they wanted but still a good turnout imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭wav1

The 3 x A4s that stayed away actually put time into the A3s.They had a bigger gap at the finish than at the start. Was behind them all day and none of them missed a turn

Love to hear it, it's the silly beggars who won't work who ruin a good breakaway. Two best breakaways of my life were because we worked together. I was guaranteed a top 5 if they worked with me so that's what I told them. I said so long as they took a turn I would push it to the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,727 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Any pictures about for DCW open race Saturday?

Right first weekend under the belt - hopefully everyone kept her upright.

Whos in for Newbridge Sunday?

I also think Newry have a race on

• Advertisement

Newbridge for me on Sunday, got absolutely destroyed here last year by Liam O Brien & a good few other junrs.

However finished well up in what was left of the bunch kick in what was one of the hardest race days I had last year. Bad weather etx doesn’t bother me so hoping for less juniors and more of the same weather wise. The climbing legs will need to have improved to even consider a top 10 result.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭wav1

We have a couple coming up in the next few weeks.

Boyne GP Sat March 23rd

3 x separate races

Coombes Connor Sunday April 7th

3 x separate races

Is there that much climbing in it? I’ve never done it and the Strava profile shows it had less elevation than Navan last weekend which wasn’t too bad

900m @ 4 %

2.5KM @ 2 %

Both done 4 times means aggressive racing on each lap, these are 4 min 30 ish & 2 min efforts for me as a hefty lad.

Ah fair enough I was just looking at the overall elevation which was circa 500m for the whole race

• Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭Macy0161

It's the same course as the IVCA Curragh races - one with one of the highest attrition rates in my experience, and one a lot skip!

Yup Newbridge A4….keep the rubber side down is the plan 😀

The second climb is tougher but everyone only remembers the first one as its shorter, sharper and has a name but all in all, its not that bad but at race pace when riders are lighting it up, it is certainly not an easy one.

Will you be bringing us up it first time like last year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Morris Garren

Newbridge GP Circuit is one of the best cycling circuits in the calendar; no significantly difficult climbing but constant undulations and open to crosswinds in places; attritional racing every time-- a constant battle between the zippy punchy riders versus the big ring rouleurs who try to hold on to the end. Great circuit

Last year was mental in A3, 70kmph in the opening few kms, 200 riders in a line, when I finally blew up it took nearly 5 minutes for everyone to come around me and that was only half the group so many had gotten dropped in the first few km.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Morris Garren

Forecast for some rain and a cold easterly wind of 20km+ for Sunday; this makes for even better racing as the Dunmurray drag will be a 5 min effort with a stiff crosswind-- cue a long line of pain forming out the back of the 'pelly-tone' each lap

In no way can this Sunday be as bad as 2023 given the weather & class of riders the were present.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭nilhg

It was a block headwind up Dunmurry today, it's never nice in those conditions

Weather for Sunday keeps changing - now looks like a nice dry day with a tailwind up the climbs 🤞

edit - tailwind up the shorter steeper climb

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

I've mostly only done the Course in the Vets but it rarely breaks up on Boston Hill. You might get a small gap but it comes back together pretty quickly as there's a short drop before the next drag. that tends to be where people (me!) lose contact.

I know this makes it a hard day out but I prefer it that way - makes for an interesting albeit painful race but overall it’s usually much safer

Tailwinds & climbs are the worst possible combination in a bike race.

Entry extended to Saturday, numbers must be low ish.

Post edited by dahat on

• Advertisement

Looks like it’s going to be a bit rough out there today.

Best of luck everyone, let’s all try and bring it home safely!

Advertisement