Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

5 likes and 5 dislikes about your current EV/EVs

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Ooh. I'd forgotten about one-pedal driving. That is something I thought I would never get used to, but after a few hours I knew I'd never want to go back 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭dubliniift

Volvo C40

1. Looks

2. Interiors

3. Comfort

4. 360 camera

5. Safety

Dislikes

1. Worse Steering of ang car driven. Even worse than 10k cars. Hard and vague . Unless I got a lemon. Gets hard at 20 kmph.

2 no way to adjust auto braking.

3. Music system lacks options to adjust

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

I hate the fact that there is no V2G on my Tesla MY.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭eastie17

Polestar 2 long range dual motor with performance and pilot pack

1. performance: Ridiculous, have done 0-60 in 3.99 secs. It’s a bit of a gimmick as won’t use it that often but I’ve never owned a car with that level of performance and it would cost an absolute fortune to get it in an ICE
    2. handling: people say you can’t have fun in an ev, as it’s awd it’s a great drive and doesn’t put a foot wrong even when pushed. Turning off ES makes it even more interesting
    3. one pedal drive, excellent once ur used to it
    4. tech, all just works well, predicts good charging stops on longer journeys with accurate info such as when last used and available or not. Preheats work well when charging destination selected
    5. controls, totally like a regular car which I like

dislikes:

1. depreciation. I went on a pcp deal for the first time due to anticipating this but even with 3.9 per cent apr it’s a very bad deal financially unless something drastic happens over the next 2 years, 3 euro a litre or something
    2. cant downclutch into a corner and get the nice engine noise like a performance ICE
    3. the weird opinions people have formed of EVs and their owners over the past 6 to 12 months. Constantly correcting people on factually incorrect things is getting a bit boring. That’s a prob with all EVs to be fair
    4. drive train through the centre of the car, lazy design but yes we know they were hedging their bets on the template at the time
    5. exterior design is nice but it doesn’t wow me. I like to look back at my car and be yes that is a really nice car. Feel it would be gorgeous if it was a couple of inches longer, but isn’t that the same with everything. Polestar 4 is that from the pics I’ve seen but look this is a first world problem complaint

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

V2G won’t work anyway without specific charging infrastructure and safe guards in place.

V2L would be handy for a few like Hyundai, BYD etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭teediddlyeye

2022 Leaf 40kw

Likes,

1. It's just a car, it's not mad looking, it has lots of buttons that work and a small touchscreen that works. No software issues.

2. 84k km covered since Jan 2022, still original tyres and second set of wipers. Super low maintenance.

3. Approx 5,900 litres of diesel saved.

4. No noticeable battery degradation since new.

5. For now anyway, any charge point with a chademo is likey avaliable. I'd imagine its gonna be a short lived perk.

Dislikes.

1. Range, good for 200km any time of year. 62kw would be better but not worth the expense, an even better ev would be in a similar price bracket.

2. Not able to set charge timer from the app, can only be done in car.

3. Not the comfiest on long trips.

4. More than 1/2 fast charges in a day and charging speeds reduce.

5. The inevitable phasing out of chademo.

A good redisign with a more modern battery and ccs charging, keep as a hatchback and not some stupid crossover would probably see the leaf back as a top seller. Probably not to be though.

"I never thought I was normal, never tried to be normal."- Charlie Manson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Nissan Leaf SVE 2014

Seems as nobody has listed one of these yet, I will skip the Model 3 and go straight to the car that started it all for many of us.

1. Price. It was cheap to buy back in 2017 from the UK at £11,000 when the exchange rate was good.
    2. Running Cost. Very cheap to run. Costs a couple of euro to fill up on cheap night rate electricity.
    3. Tech & Spec. It has great tech/extras for a 10 year old car. Leather heated seats. Heated steering wheel. 360 reverse camera. LED lights. Folding mirrors. BOSE sound system etc etc.
    4. Driving. It is so much fun to drive. The instant high torque and go-kart feel of the car is just a genuinely fun experience.
    5. Reliability. The reliability of this car at circa 100k klms is great. Aside from needing shims after 1st NCT (common issue), the car has been no trouble. It's still on original pads!!!

Dislikes

1. Appearance. It's an ugly yoke and I have one of the nicer colours (Gun Metal Grey) and the higher spec with the extra chrome kit (mirrors and fogs) as well as the much nicer 17" rims. The funky headlights just make it look like an alien frog and it takes a while to grow on you.
    2. Range. It's at about 75% of original battery capacity, so a range of 80-100km on average if you stay off the motorway. This is a limiting factor if you ever need to go outside the range of the car.
    3. CHAdeMO. This is a dying standard and when most sites only have a single CHAdeMO connector (if any), the risk of it being broken is a further limiting factor on this car.
    4. The APP. I haven't used it for years, because it just doesn't register anymore. I used to use it to pre-heat the car, or check the state of charge, but it doesn't work anymore.
    5. Navigation. This is more of a general Nissan thing, but if using the Sat Nav in the car, from new, the maps are already 3 years out of date and the cost to update is madness. I think they stopped making the updates available 6 or 7 years ago anyway. I think there are hacks to get apple or android auto onto the car screen.

Stay Free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

2017 Leaf 24kw

SVE

Love the:

Sound system

Heated seats and steering wheel

Nippy around town

Very cheap to run

Preheating the car in the morning

Don't like:

Range, guesometer says 140km when full but never get that range really,

Begs to be charged on a round trip between Ennis and Limerick which is only about 80km and when battery is under 20% it starts to get very coy about how far it can go

Got the car only for school runs and using around town, excellent car for this purpose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,794 ✭✭✭micks_address

My dislike of over aggressive emergency breaking was fixed with a software update

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Badger242

2015 Nissan Leaf 24 kWh bought used 3.5 years ago.

1. Great to drive.

2. Very nippy acceleration at junctions.

3. Nice interior and good tech features (premium spec).

4. Decent boot space.

5. Economical to run.

Dislikes (not many as I think it's a great car)

1. Range is a bit low but suits our needs for 2nd car run about.

2. CHAdeMO charger (very rarely needed).

3. Type 1 slow charger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Replying to my own comment from 8 months ago, I've actually bought that Etron now for the same reason as above!

Trying to think if I'd respond differently now, but I think I pretty much nailed it. I'd add that I like the Etron interior all lit up at night, I never drove it in the dark before this week. And bigger boot space for the 2 dogs, the cupra boot needs to be empty for them to fit in.

A dislike on the Etron is that it takes longer to charge on AC for the same amount of KMs to be driven, if I don't plug it in early in the work day I'm not going to be able to get to 100% if starting low. The Born could be done in half a day.

But otherwise, all pretty much still the same with the 2 machines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

Sorry meant V2L, I hate the fact that my Tesla Model Y doesnt have it.

Seen a photo the other day. A BYD Atto I think, was charging a Model Y.

I wouldn’t have a use for it myself but maybe where power cuts are common or camping etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,245 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

My LMI Trike :)

Likes,

1) Stunning alloys better looking than some I have seen on far more expensive machines,

2) Really fast taking off speed,

3) Handling is always fun and engaging never boring,

4) Leather seat,

5) Rear view camera when it works.

Dislikes,

1) Not fast enough top speed,

2) Battery integration could be better

3) Ride could be better,

4) Heater could be better.

5) No rear reverse lights but then I guess no bike has that anyway.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Old Jim

2023 Ioniq 5 Executive 58kWh

Dislikes:

-       Lights – Got flashed a lot. Have had to turn the height selector wheel down to the 2 setting. I guess it is the LED lights people don’t like. Auto dimming is slow to react and sometimes just switches on full beams when behind a car. I drive on dipped lights permanently now.

-       Door Handles. Impossible to find in the dark and feel like they have been designed for left handed people.

-       Navigation – In-built mapping is poor compared to Google maps. Will ignore a large town and show an obscure townland beside it. Hard to find places when searching.

-       Seat belts. They rattle like crazy. Have had to stick loads of foam padding on front seats and rear door pillars to stop them banging against hard plastic.

-       Dislikes are relatively minor. Nice car, very happy with it. V2G feature was handy during recent power cut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,058 ✭✭✭Patser

231 MG4 Exclusive

1) Handling - RWD, good power, comfy ride, steering just right

2) Size - actually quite wide for its size, loads of little cubbies, decent leg room in back

3) Lights - now that if adjusted them, they really do light up road and hi beams make it like day

4) Creature comforts - heated seats, heated wheel, 360 camera, Android Auto (pity not wireless).

5) Colour - got the happy blue colour, and it's 1st thing everyone comments on is how nice the colour is

Dislikes

1) Lane keep assist - it's been tweaked, it's got better, it still occasionally seems to want to kill everyone

2) Lights on preheat - no idea why, no idea what they were thinking, but if you preheat car it turns on lights. Irks me

3) App - can't set a time to preheat, have to remember to turn it on each cold morning 10 mins before leaving

4) Bit dark - escpecially in back with no passenger light - bought one for €2 on Ali express though

5) Rear seat belts - strange cost cutting, but their base is just strap (no stiffener), so people in back can have difficulty clicking in as receiver moves about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

VW eGolf

1. Doesn't look like an EV
    2. Great for country roads, handing and performance at low speeds is great
    3. Adaptive cruise
    4. I just like Golfs(had diesels and petrols before but this is best one)

Dislikes

1. The middle tunnel which restricts back seats access
    2. Should of got leather seats

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

Tesla MY RWD

1. Interior Space. Loads of it - inside, in the boot, in the frunk.
    2. Standard spec - electric seats, electric steering wheel, power boot, HP, cameras, panoramic roof etc. You name it.
    3. RWD and 300hp. Fairly fast for a single-motor 1.9t SUV.
    4. Infotainment system (15" screen, access to streaming apps,13 speakers sound system) and unrivaled app integration.
    5. Fart sounds:) Joking, tesla Superchargers. They are cheap (cheaper than completion) and reliable. Just plug and charge.

Dislikes

1. Wipers. Lack of rain sensor leads to erratic wiper behaviour. Annoying AF.
    2. Turing radius. It's 12.1m, 3 point turns all around.
    3. Connectivity issues. Car randomly drops GSM connection resulting in slow map updates, routing without traffic information, no spotify or voice commands. Going on for months now.
    4. Omnipresent interior rattles. Driver seat creaks, headrests and boot lid rattles etc. Service centre fixed some of them in December but come February all the noises are back.
    5. Harsh ride even on 19" tyres. My HL golf with "sport" suspension is def more comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Ev fan

This is my 4th year driving an EV (Born) will not be going back to ICE

Smooth Easy Relaxed driving with plenty of Go when you need it

For those fortunate to have home charging EV ownership is generally hassle free

With the advent of more charging hubs (especially 4 and 8 bay) - charging/range anxiety will no longer feature as an issue - demand for cars with large batteries will reduce to customers who routinely do high mileage

As battery prices are falling significantly throughout 2024 then a lot of EV models will have price parity in 2025

Given the very large R& D investments in battery materials and technologies batteries are likely to get a lot cheaper, safer, more energy dense and/or lighter by 2026

Solid state batteries will come probably in 2026 in higher cost premium EVs- will become more mainstream by 2028

A lot More people will convert to EVs in 2025 when they see the ease of ownership, the better driving experience and of course the lower running costs of ownership

Vested interests will continue to promote anti EV bias but will diminish significantly in 2025/2026 as early majority EV customers come on board

Toyota Corporation credibility will hinge on whether they introduce well designed main stream EV models in their line up during 2025/6/7. "It's not what you say, it's what you do."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 187 ✭✭GPoint

Where is the crystal ball you used for this forecast :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,806 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

The Sun will be sending assassins to kill you now 😉

I agree generally, but I think we're going to see a sales slowdown for 2024 due to the general economic climate and stubbornly high prices of many EVs

It's looking like the EU will slap retrospective tariffs on many Chinese brands so that'll take some pressure off European manufacturers to compete. I've mixed feelings about this personally because I do agree that China is unfairly subsidising their domestic EV production, but I also believe EU manufacturers have been severely dragging their feet on the transition to electric

If the lower cost models are delivered in 2025 then I agree there'll be an increase in sales. I think more and more younger drivers will go for electric then and that will really tip the balance

This in turn will drive more investment in public charging as many people living in apartments will demand better access to charging and there might be political pressure to resolve these issues as well

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Go away with your positivity!

Yeah since 2022 I went from 1 diesel A6 and 1 petrol golf, got rid of the petrol for a PHEV 530e, them the diesel for an EV cupra born, then the PHEV for a 2nd EV ETron

Not going back either, no need

For what it's worth I liked all the cars we had just prefer the EVs now after owning one for nearly 2 years

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Mod Note: Merged with the other recent thread for people to be happy with their experience

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭eagerv

I remember starting a thread a while ago "Happy with owning an EV in Ireland", but the "Unhappy" one was a lot busier for some reason😀.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I seem to remember most of the unhappy people were people who didn't own one yet. There's a couple of cases of people who have been oversold.

My favourite was the person who was annoyed at EV drivers claiming it suited their needs when presented with use cases radically different from how they used a car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Great idea... 2023 MG4 Excite LR

1. I love the amount I'm saving on fuel, insurance, tax, maintenance, and that I can charge at home.
    2. I love how relaxing it is to drive.
    3. I love the speed that is there when I need it - it's like a rocket compared to my old 2L Mazda 6.
    4. I love being able to heat the car up wheen sitting having breakfast.
    5. I love the comfy seats and mininalist interior.

1. I dislike the LKA - I have to turn it off every time.
    2. I dislike the app - it's a bit buggy and I have to refresh a lot. Sometimes it switches off the scheduled charging which is annoying.
    3. I dislike the boot - a wee bit too small for my liking and needs
    4. I dislike that it has no spare wheel - seems to be the norm these days though
    5. I dislike that there is no designated storage area for the cables

The pros far outweigh the cons and I can ive with the cons but I wish that they could sort out the app. I don't regret moving to an EV.

Occasionally someone might ask me why (what possessed me) did I get an EV? My answer would be they're absolutely right- it will be worthless in a few years and I will end up driving it into a skip................ assuming that there is a tiny bit of charge left in the useless battery. At least when the battery fire starts it will be contained in the skip. 😀 Maybe it is to counterbalance all the (generally ill-informed/stupid/just plain wrong) negative commentary that comes on a routine basis.

• Advertisement
Advertisement