Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The English FA have invested a phenomenal amount of money in their youth game; academy structures; professional development structures and in licensing coaches at all levels of the game. 20 years ago the England U21 gig was an after thought for a team that embodied all of the flaws in the English development system, and enjoyed a lack of success relative to their peer nations in Europe that highlighted same.

That Lee Carsley has the U21 job today is a validation of his technical chops when it comes to coaching and management. In order to be appointed to that position he would require a high degree of mastery in modern coaching, tactical approaches and process.

And yes, the England u21 team were the favourites for last year’s tournament but ‘Homer beat their brains out’, as it were. The one thing Ireland have not had in our lifetimes is a coach on the cutting edge of best practice. Charlton has been correctly reassessed as innovative in his approach; but he was rigid with his player selection within that tactical prism. Aside from that we’ve had good people who proved somewhat limited (McCarthy, Kerr); good coaches who had their best days in management before they arrived with us (Trapp, O’Neill); or managers not up to the task (Staunton, Kenny).

Carsley ticks boxes of price, availability (if he takes it), appropriate experience and gravitas (former International). But the thing that makes him exciting is finally having a coach who is current in his thinking and has implemented that thinking with elite players. I’ll be excited about that it nobody else will!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭tigger123

Because its gone on so long a this stage.

I just did a bit of googling there, and he was first mentioned as a possible replacement in August of last year. Then in November it really started to bubble up in the media about him being the next manager.

None of which is coming from him, or the FAI, that we know of, but he could kill it all off with one tweet, and he hasn't.

It's all idle speculation at this stage!

I'm also very excited about it. For me it would be him or Anthony Barry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Massive step up between youth and senior football. For a start a tiny percentage of that squad will go on to be full England internationals and an even smaller percentage will go on to be 20+ cap internationals.

Kenny for instance was a very successful U21 manager for us and had that team playing great football and winning matches. Something he could not translate to the senior side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Kenny didn’t achieve anything tangible with the u21 side, although he had some success in Europa League that was notable.

We should not underestimate the drastic difference between u21 manager here and in England, or the quality of players Carsely has worked with successfully.

It will be a tough step up, but we can be excited about it. We can expect Carsley to be technically a lot sounder than Kenny and with a gravitas and credibility as a former International that Kenny lacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

I see Willy Sagnol name being mentioned out of contract with Georgia after playoffs apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭athlone99

Well in terms of profile and the level of pressure from fans and media its a step up but you could argue the quality of player he is working with at U21s if far ahead of what we have at senior!

On your last point, its utter nonsense, there is nothing to prove what you have said will be true. If that's your argument you would turn down Jose Mourinho, being an ex player/ex international is not a marker of success at all. Players suss out spoofers very quick. They clearly respected Kenny and liked what he was trying to do as they bought into it but it simply didnt work for Kenny or he couldnt get the players to lift their game. Nothing in Carsleys past/present says he will be any better.

In saying that he is probably the best candidate thats been linked to the job. If it is him i hope it goes well but no one knows. Maybe our players are just crap and it will take time to build a competitive team or maybe it was Kenny that held them back and didnt get the best out of them. Who knows. I cant wait to hear Kerr's opinions if they get hammered in the 2 friendlies since he spoke like a know it all when Kenny was in charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭crustyjuggler

Sagnol looking pretty much a guarantee now .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭YTM

Ybig.ie

Seems the paper talk surrounding Sagnol for Ireland came the day after they were talking about him getting the job on that site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭NITRO95

So not a guarantee then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Robbie Keane's Maccabi Tel Aviv just gave Olympiacos a 4-1 hiding in the Europa League. Delighted for him and fingers crossed they can close it out in the second leg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,045 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Nice to see Robbie go out on a high before arriving back to Abbottstown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,108 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I really wish he was doing it in another country/league and I could enjoy it more, but in fairness to him he's doing a very good job there so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭crustyjuggler

Reckon it could be Robbie alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭Guffy

Think he signed a two year contract so couldn't be the man.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I am beginning to suspect the 42 is aligned with bookies to make them money. Keep introducing new candidates and keep new stories coming do people keep laying money down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Delighted for Robbie. Would love to see him lift the league title this season. Can't remember the last time an Irishman won a foreign league title (excluding the EFL Championship).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Performances over a period are partly what are used to assess whether you make those play offs. Mick had a part in those performances.

Things got so bad under Kenny we fell out of contention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,626 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

LOL and this isn’t even ybig.ie induced paper talk.

Seriously It better not be Robbie Keane. I’d give O’Shea an extended audition quicker than bringing him in. Lines have to be drawn somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭athlone99

Wrong, MON finished bottom on the nations league group of 3, thats where the playoff came from, Mick had absolutely nothing to do with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Why?

I wouldn't give too much merit to what Robbie is doing domestically as they are arguably the biggest club in the country but the European run they are on is impressive.

He's got more senior management experience than Josh (or Carsley, for that matter).

Is he still on the pay roll of the FAI? He was taking pay for nothing there for ages. I thought that was especially poor form. Personally I wouldn’t have him near the job and I’d have nothing to do with watching/supporting the team if he’s got anything to do with it.

Got to laugh at that last part. You wouldn't support the team because he was taking money that he was entitled to? Sure.

It was a cock-up by the FAI and I was angry at the cheek of him as well. I doubt he needs that money. But he was entitled to it and I'm sure countless others would have done the same in that position. If it wasn't illegal, I can accept it.

Like I said you have to draw a line somewhere. He was “entitled” to no such thing. No. I wouldn’t have him as manager.

Did he not have a contract? Or was he just using the FAI as his personal ATM?

Iirc, he was contracted to the FAI. When SK took over, he wasn't interested in keeping Keane on. Keane didn't want to cancel his contract so he continued getting it paid until it ended.

I hardly find it endearing but I don't see what he did that was illegal. And I don't see how that would affect his performance as a manager.

I don’t know. He’s 50/1 with Paddy Powers currently if you fancy him. I’m wondering are the FAI in league with Paddy Power and Boyleports et al?

I can recall odd managerial appointment procedures in the past like when Jack Charlton got the job as a compromise because members of the committee couldn’t agree on appointing Bob Paisley. This carry on has been some saga.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,215 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Well if the FAI were just giving him money for funsies then yeah Robbie is at fault for keeping at it.

If he was under contract then of course he was entitled to be paid per said contract.

• Advertisement

He had been hired as part of McCarthy's team but he had a contract (worth €250k a year) until 2022, even though McCarthy was going to handover after Euro 2020.

When Kenny took over, he wanted to bring the team he'd had at the U-21s and didn't want Keane. Keane still had two years to go on his contract and didn't accept a pay-off, iirc. He was not involved under Kenny but still fulfilled his contract.

Now, he could have just walked away or Kenny could have just added him to the coaching team. I don't think either of them come out too well but he had a contract and expected the FAI to honour it.

The FAI should have given him a contract in line with McCarthy's and then let Kenny decide if he wished to keep him on when the handover took place.

That whole McCarthy for now and Kenny later deal was complicated to begin with and Covid didn't help but they should have clarified things like that from the outset.

Anyway, it doesn't paint him in the best light but I don't think its grounds to never hire him, especially when the poster who had beef with him didn't even know what it was about.

How did he “fulfill his contract” if he wasn’t involved?

He should have accepted a pay off if one was offered. I see it as exceptionally poor judgement if he had designs on being the national team manager at some point in the future. Personally I think we should look elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭bren2001

He fulfilled his contract in that he was willing to be part of Stephen Kennys backrooms team. The fact Kenny didn't use him isn't Robbies problem.

Absolutely nothing forcing Keane to take a pay off. He was entitled to be paid that amount until the end of his contract. The FAI simply shouldn't have offered him such a stupid contract in the first place. Madness to lay any blame on Robbie.

They were paying him the contract they had agreed with him. Its not Robbie's fault the FAI gave him a 4 year contract for 2 years guaranteed work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

It was Keanes buddy John Delaney who gave him a 4 year contract.

If he was offered a pay off he should have took it. He’s not an innocent bystander in that carry on. Not for me I would look elsewhere for a manager.

It was all about the here and now with Delaney and to hell with the future. Signing Keane up to a 4 year deal with a manager that was only going to be in place for 2 years epitomises the way Delaney operated.

Was he offered one? Unless the FAI put a gun to his head forcing him to sign the contract its not his fault he was offered it.

Delaney was eyeing Keane up as Kenny's replacement. Four years involved in the set up as a coach and then take over as manager. Though likely would have taken Kenny's job mid WC qualifiers given what Kenny was producing.

• Advertisement

I’m talking about the way it ended, a poster above says he was offered a pay off. I think if he intended to come back as manager a few years later or that was something he had in mind as an ambition he should have taken the pay off instead of taking money for doing nothing for two years. That was his choice but there should be a consequence for it in my view. He wasn’t not “at fault” in that.

One wonders is someone at Paddy Power reading boards.ie soccer pages. Robbie Keane was 50/1 a couple of hours ago, he’s now 16/1.

I took the 50’s even though I didn’t want him as the manager. LOL. Money is money at end of the day, Robbie would know all about that.

You're probably right. It was bonkers enough that McCarthys successor was picked when he started the job. Off the charts that Kenny's was picked at the same time as well.

Surely though even Delaney would have known there was a good chance Kenny would want to pick his own assistant manager and Keane wouldn't take a lesser role. The obvious thing to do would have been give Keane the U21 job when Kenny left and tell Keane he's next inline for the senior job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭NITRO95

Given the situation the FAI has found itself in in recent years, for me it doesnt matter what was in Robbie's contract. He should have done the decent and just walked away from it, rather than continue to take payments from a struggling organisation for doing nothing. He's minted either way.

Just because it's legal, doesnt mean it's ethical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭bren2001

Its entirely ethical. They offered a contract. He signed it. He abided by the terms of the contract and got paid. Its very simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

Neil Lennon said he was close to the Ireland job but the FAI said they wanted to go with someone who had international experience.

So taking that at face value Robbie Keane wouldn't be in the running

The FAI seem to be throwing ridiculous specs on the job at this stage. If this FAI had been around they wouldn`t have hired Charlton Or McCarthy or MON because none of them had international managament experience i.e the managers that got us to tournaments where we did well.

They also want a headcoach based in Ireland and working 9-5 in Abbotstown. Doing what outside of international windows is anyones guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,108 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

They don’t want a coach based in Ireland working 9-5 in abbotstown. They want a coach WITH A BASE in Ireland. Which is totally different. The person will likely come over and work out of the offices a few days a month, which makes total sense since part of the stated remit is to help modernize the underage international structures too.

If that's true then it will be comical if they hire someone that doesn't have international experience after telling him that.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement