Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport Bus Service Changes & Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭belfast stephen

anyone know what is wrong with the Aircoach Galway service on Thursday 7th March they are asking for passenger's with a booking to check the e-mails and it not showing on the booking system

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Services are not operating tomorrow. Unfortunately they are not willing to say more than that to passengers whom have not pre-booked services it seems. It shows a complete lack of regard for potential walk up passengers of their service and is completely unacceptable for any public transport operator not to be transparent about the fact they are not operating services.

If you couple this with the fact that they have removed their own tracking function from their website and have stopped reporting any kind of cancellations of services when they happen in general and have resorted to replying to complaints on their reviews with AI rather than replying to them properly, it creates a very clear picture of how much Aircoach value their patrons these days, a far cry from the old days indeed.

What's interesting is that despite the fact they have no tracking on their website, according to driving staff at the company, they are now able to nanny drivers and see when they make 'unscheduled stops' and each time they accept or sell a ticket on their own in-house tracking software and even what type of ticket it was. It's rather ironic they have that level of eyes on their drivers, whilst at the same time they can't even tell potential customers that certain services are not running or provide on-site tracking information.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,243 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Dublin bus have the 747 dublin airport to Heuston & 757 which just says Dublin Airport - Dublin Airport.

Licenced until 2026

Are these new or have the licences never been given up by DB since they previously ran them ?

See further upthread, these are new licenses, the old ones expired and were given up.

would there be much passenger demand for a serivce from Terneure i assume there much be for Dublin express to be providing there serivce

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Wonder what the route will be, I assume it'll be through the city centre via Rathmines etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭p_haugh

It's been officially announced just fyi (still no exact routing, mind you)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,680 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭john boye

Would surely use the M50. Going through town would make it no better than the 16

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,529 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Limited stop services and more direct routing would outperform the 16 handily even going through the city - Santry bypass and bus lanes has the 700 get to Drumcondra Station in 13-15 minutes in evening traffic (even if it is scheduled for 10 on some peak services!) whereas the 16 is scheduled for 36 at the same time of day.

Firstly it’s much needed additional capacity which is the key factor right now at the airport.

I doubt it’ll be via the M50 - potential loadings wouldn’t be great. Airport services need decent traffic generators en route, and the lack of same is why Aircoach dropped their Ballinteer route.

At a guess, I would expect it’ll be via Rathgar and Rathmines looping via Terenure Road East and Rathfarnham Road outbound, and Bushy Park Road and Zion Road inbound before joining the 784 routing at Kelly’s Corner.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I'd assume it will use the port tunnel too. It would all add up to being a lot faster then the 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

I'm kind of surprised it's terminating at Terenure surely it would make more sense to continue it to serve some of the Rathfarnham or Tallaght area.

PVR and drivers may be a reality. Terenure at least allows connectivity with several major bus routes across south Dublin.

• Hilarious stuff. At least devnull won’t have to go through the journalistic motions of protecting their “very reliable” source

Many people have informal sources and I wouldn’t knock that.

It allows for a greater understanding of how things work (or don’t), and of future developments, even when some posters knock it back as “they know better”.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

The present Aircoach 706/706X service to Galway from Dublin will be withdrawn, with the last day of service of the current route being on 7th April. Effected Staff were informed in a meeting today.

Post edited by devnull on

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

That sucks for the staff and for customers / healthy competition.

It is also not particularly surprising, it seemed like a strange route to start given the competition on the corridor. A reflection of some pretty poor decisions being made over the last few years.

Not one bit surprising though. Hopefully the competition authority will do something about the Citylink monopoly.

Derry will be next to go probably. Wonder are Aircoach changing up their strategy now Dervla is gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,529 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Any Dublin based staff will presumably be needed to keep the Dublin routes going; not much use if you lived in Galway.

Hopefully maybe the Galway route being gone will mean they can add extra services elsewhere to the likes of the Belfast route or the Greystones route. Their gonna need to start being more competitive with Dublin Express and sharpish.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Gold7

As long as the Dublin to Belfast route is kept. Pity about the Galway service I used it myself just the timetable was all over the place.

Derry here to stay and with new coaches on order for the 705x and the Tourmiso's moving possibly to Dublin for the 700 or even across the water to the uk the lack of luggage on them is a big factor as the Wheelchair lift takes a big chunk of space

Given that the competition authority approved Citylinks take over of GoBus, I doubt it. Plus look how they have ignored Dublin Coaches domination of the Limerick corridor for years!

True. I'd say plenty of demand for coach drivers in Galway too from other companies, so I hope not too painful for them.

Jeez, those Tourismo have been a disaster, terrible leg room, no competition at all on the Cork route to Citylink's much bigger tri-axle Volvo 9900's which have tons of legroom. I thought the lack of legroom might be ok'ish on the likes of the 700, but sounds like they have other issues too!

Any idea what the new coaches might be?

Well the competition authority only allowed the takeover of GoBus by CityLink on the basis that Aircoach would be operating the services that they did. I still think that it was a mistake by the competition authority because anybody with any clue about the commercial realities of the market would know that the sheer number of services those companies were running between them would make it almost impossible for a new entrant to make the route successful, which has proven to be the case.

I know that there were a number of people involved in CityLink/GoBus who were happy as pigs in a certain something that Aircoach were willing to start operating on that route, because there is no way they would have been able to have merged their operations without having to make some serious concessions. It couldn't have worked out better for ComfortDelGro in terms of this corridor since the takeover went through and what is more is that Aircoach literally gave them a helping hand on the way.

What is totally clear now though is that the relevant competition authorities and the NTA must take action on the Galway corridor if they haven't already. There is no way now that a new operator is going to go into that corridor unless CityLink are made to relinquish one of their licenses or the NTA are willing to sanction non stop services on the Galway to Dublin route.

Dublin Express have really schooled them commercially, it's quite embarrassing how awful Aircoach have been commercially over the past number of years, it's hard to think of much they have got right.

Whilst Dublin Express have been busy promoting themselves, doing deals with many third parties, building a significant ticket agent network, getting a good presence at Dublin Airport and procuring premium vehicles, The Aircoach commercial team has been focusing on stuff like recording podcasts on buses, Winning awards for creative partnerships in Derry with the Arts and focusing on making Wellbeing stuff available on board. I mean I'm not saying Aircoach shouldn't be doing these things, but the image I'm seeing is one company who is getting on with the nuts and bolts and basics of drumming up demand and custom of their services and another one that is trying to do nice things and be a nice member of the community it serves.

Anybody could have told you that the spec they picked for the Tourismo's was poor. The Tourismo is a great vehicle but the spec that they picked was just dire. Considering the amount that they paid for them as well. I never understood the idea of buying a premium marque of vehicle and then specifying it with what is basically a budget interior. It makes no sense whatsoever. When I heard that they were getting Tourismo's I thought it would be a good step forward, but in reality, they're bought a more expensive coach than the Panthers, and then essentially pinched as many pennies as they could on the spec. Cent wise and Euro Foolish basically.

Also nobody required them to use the wheelchair option that they did for the Tourismo, that again was a management choice, if you are going to have that kind of wheelchair lift then of course it is going to take up a fair amount of luggage space. Couple that with cramming in 55 high density seats in the shortest 12m Tourismo in the range isn't going to help either is it. If they went for a longer version, they would end up with an extra locker of valuable luggage space, so again it comes down to poor decision making from whoever signed the spec off.

Another expensive mistake.

The amount that they have spent on vehicles for the Derry route (which are unsuitable according to another poster) and acquiring Airporter and everything else that goes with it is staggering. I remain completely sceptical that the Belfast to Derry Leg can ever offer a return on the investment that they have made on it. If they're throwing yet another set of vehicles at it, it beggars belief, especially when they have surrendered frequency on the successful Belfast to Dublin section of the route, which Dublin Express with it's far superior vehicles, have only been too happy to take care of.

In relation to Dervla going, I have to say she was an incredibly likeable person and I think she'll do well in Go-Ahead Ireland. She had time for everyone and was generally someone I know many speak highly of and she did bring a number of good traits and forward-thinking ideas to Aircoach. However there were some questionable decisions commercially under her leadership and the lack of any experienced commercial senior manager in the business with experience in the Irish Bus and Coach industry in her time really showed. But at least she did have experience in the Bus industry all be it in the UK, despite by her own admission, having no previous commercial experience.

The unfortunate thing is the current MD has no bus industry experience at all anywhere before taking her current role and she has now been in the post six months and honestly I'm yet to see any positive changes. What I have seen though is a reduction in transparency. Under the new MDs leadership Aircoach have no coach tracker on their website, no longer post cancellations and today they cancelled an entire day of service on the 706X without any kind of announcement at all which meant anyone who didn't book a ticket ahead or read here, would have never known their services were not running. Essentially potential walk-up customers were abandoned by the roadside today, and that is unacceptable and the NTA need to be issuing a serious fine for things like this. Public transport users deserve better.

It looks like the last day of operation is in fact Sunday 7th April.

That's what I meant. Awful typo! Thanks for correcting!

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭TranslatorPS

@devnull your wording of "the current route" is interesting for the linguistically picky ones among us – does it mean that somebody has something in store for a future route, or is it just an ellipsis to not repeat the route numbers?

• Advertisement

Just a result of what happens when you write on your mobile quickly without a lot of time, see also the slip I made on the date. no need for any conspiracy theories.

I did notice however the TFI API data for Aircoach says the current timetable on the 702 to Greystones is only valid until 22nd April, which suggests that could be getting a revision post that.

Advertisement