Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Referendum on Gender Equality (THREADBANS IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭whatisayis

I just read the advice from the Attorney General. Unless I'm misreading he seems to say that grandparents etc are not intended to be included in the definition of durable relationships. On page 7:

"It is important to note that the role of the State where other relationships are concerned vis a vis caring for children, for example, grandparents, non parent guardians, step parents or blended families raise separate issues and a myriad of potential legal relationships. THE POLICY OBJECTIVE HAS BEEN NOT TO INCLUDE THOSE RELATIONSHIPS (my caps) in the amendment to Article 41.1.1 as benefiting from the Constitutional Protection given to the family. This is because the potentially varied permutations and competing rights that may present are more amenable to clarification by the comprehensive statutory regime in the Family and Children Relationship Act 2015 and the Guardianship of Infants Act 1964, as amended."

In other words the government were advised that legislation is already available for amendment to cater for the above relationships and there was no need for a Constitutional amendment. I think all Ministers told us this was the main need for the amendment. He then went on to warn:

"To avoid relationships which are clearly intended to be outside the intended effect of this amendment being discussed as falling within it in the course of the referendum campaign, it is of the utmost importance to clearly and consistently articulate what is intended to be included...."

Despite constant calls for clarification on the meaning of durable relationships none was forthcoming from any government Minister. We were told it was all about being more caring and inclusive. Reading the Attorney General's advice it seems it's intended purpose is much greater than that:

It is likely that issues relating to the application of Article 41 to non-marital families will be more heavily litigated than at present, for example it is foreseeable that the provision will be relied upon in the context of immigration and surrogacy.

Whilst denying it was anything to do with immigration, I don't recall one Minister saying that it would be used in litigation regarding surrogacy despite both issues being highlighted in the advice received from the Attorney General.

If there is a Yes result on either amendment there will have to be an inquiry before the Constitution is amended. I don't want to say we were lied to but the electorate were definitely mislead by the government.

The link to the Attorney General's advice can be found in this article by the Ditch

https://www.ontheditch.com/attorney-general-advice-in-full/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭suvigirl

God, I remember the Shinners used to do this all the time in my local town.

Gather up the frail elderly people and force then into vote for the local Sinn Fein head.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Caquas

How did the Government turn a slam-dunk (get rid of sexist language) into a confusing and divisive set of amendments?

If this turns out as a No,No, our politicians will not just have “snatched defeat from the jaws of victory” like so many other deluded politicians, they will have achieved something which I believe is without parallel in the history of democracy: they will have handed victory to a small group of campaigners with whom the vast majority of Irish people wants nothing to do.

Let that sink in!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Yeah forced.

That's how the Shinners rolled......

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭DylanQuestion

My problem is that it's a two part question for both. Do you want to remove this AND put this in. What if I want to remove what's but not add what's being added? For Marriage Equality and Reproductive Rights, it was a clear yes or no - do you want to make this legal or not. Same with divorce, blasphemy, presidential age, abolition of the Seanad, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Voted no no. My vote rural brisk wife's vote urban nearly empty galway

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It would not be correct to suggest that the No/No campaigners represent all No voters. There was a very strong grassroots online campaign that were calling for Yes to Family and No to Care.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Astartes

Voted NO NO and drew a swastika on both ballots. Job done

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Read my post again - it says the exact opposite.

NO/NO campaigners represent very few No/No voters but the politicians may have contrived to hand them a victory.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,536 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

• Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭prunudo

Just back from polling, seemed like decent numbers coming and going. Dry weather helps, lots of people walking to the polling station too.

One thing I picked up on though, and whether intention or not, the women who handed me the card, seemed to gesture to the yes box as she gave it to me and was explaining what and where I needed to go. Bad form if that's what she actually was at.

Post edited by prunudo on

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭KevMayo88

Any marks on the ballot paper aside from your 'X' in the appropriate box can constitute a spoiled vote. I would not be drawing a swastika on my vote- it will almost certainly be considered a spoiled ballot.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Are the schools open today?

Usually the voting is in one of the big rooms or the lunchroom but today we were in a tiny little box room. A big queue out the door and its feckin baltic out! Asked is this the line for box 1 or 2, guy infront of me said its all the same but then as we got closer people were being sent over to another room.

Queing again to use the booth thing but was in and out bout 15minutes. Heard the staff saying turn out is very low. North East Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭cudsy1

There was a bible on the registration table in my polling station. Thought it questionable

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Voted no to family and yes to care in Killarney. Fella working there said it's been very quiet all day as people "don't really understand it". Saw five people entering as I left so maybe turnout will pick up as the day goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭techdiver

It can only be hubris. It's long obvious that this government has little regard for what people think and they knew better than the "unwashed" citizens assembly, which now looks more and more like a waste of time and a PR stunt rather than representing anything real or tangible. The chair is appointed by the government, the agenda is decided by the government and the recommendations are at the behest of the government, who in the case of the care referendum, thought better than just using the suggested wording put forward and instead came up with something completely removed from what was suggested.

It's scarcely believable. I'm not sure why they risked the humiliation of defeat with the terrible wording when (IMHO), the wording put forward by the citizens assembly would have passed with flying colours. It's as if they are so far up their own holes that they couldn't see what they were doing. I also think certain members have serious questions to answer as at best they gave misleading information about the referendum at at worst outright lied.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Anyone got the wording advocated by Citizen's Assembly?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,863 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Voted No to both, and I am yet to meet a person who has voted yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 CoastalCork

You've invalidated your vote by drawing swastika..that'll be counted as spoiled vote now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Leo not giving a 💩 breaking electoral law earlier today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,863 ✭✭✭ebbsy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Ah blast it, I guess I shouldn't have added those hammer and sickles to my cards.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

The woman with Leo is a Barrister and Senator. She should know better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭techdiver

This is what I came across last night. I'm open to correction if it is wrong though.

https://citizensassembly.ie/recommendations-of-the-citizens-assembly-on-gender-equality/

Here are the recommendations on The Constitution

Article 40.1 of the Constitution should be amended to refer explicitly to gender equality and non-discrimination.

Article 41.2 of the Constitution should be deleted and replaced with language that is not gender specific and obliges the State to take reasonable measures to support care within the home and wider community.

Article 41 of the Constitution should be amended so that it would protect private and family life, with the protection afforded to the family not limited to the marital family.

The AG disliked the "gender equality" recommendation because it could create confusion about the existing equality provision (the one the Supreme Court used last month to grant a widower's pension to an unmarried father).

The Government, the AG (and the judges) hated the recommendation to "oblige the State to take reasonable measures to support care within the home and wider community." The courts would be swamped and judges would have to police the level of care given.

Everyone agreed to extend "family" beyond marriage but Roderick et al. wouldn't put any limits at all so we got "durable relationships"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,978 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Vote early and vote often as they used to say.

I do find it ironic that you seem to have a problem with this but I can guarantee you wouldn't have batted an eyelid if it was someone giving a lift to vote yes in the appeal referendum.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Advertisement