Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

March 8th - What’s your vote? **Mod Note In Post #677**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Voting NO for both

Just back from voting...

A strong No No from me.....

I wanted to send a firm message to the government to not waste our time and money on these non issues.

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Voting NO for both

Really? Im nearly certain we got lots of exit polls in the past - different rules for referenda perhaps?

Voting NO for both

Firstly thanks for sharing - there’s been months of conversation on this site and this is the first real attempt at an answer I’ve seen.

on care, fair enough.

on relationships - on the outset you would Think that this would be the benifit to the population - why has the government not said it though? Ie if it passes we plan to extend marriage tax incentives and legal rights to those who can demonstrate a durable relationship*

*durable relationship equals …

they didn’t though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,194 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Voting YES for both

Earlier it looked mostly yes yes. No cope here, was obvious a couple of weeks ago us wokeists probably wouldn't win. Only thing that annoys me is the loonies like Ferg Power et al campaigning for a No will see this as a victory. Even though nothing changes for anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Voting NO for both

We can do both believe it or not or is there some reason No voters wont vote in the LE and GE?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Consonata

Voting YES for both

Seems like a bizarre issue to pick given for 95%+ of folk, a yes vote wouldn't materially effect them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

What do you mean 'privilege'?

Nobody is dying on this hill and the insinuation that spending time and effort both researching and debating topics such as this aren't to be seen as a positive....

The state have gone against their own legal advise on this, and put together a Hodge podge of words that have people concerned and indeed perplexed as to why we are being asked to approve this..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Voting NO for both

You will get first exit polls after 10pm

The problem is, nobody has been able to state that as a fact. Quiet the opposite. When pressed on what the outcome could mean in both cases some of the yes side revert to emotive language, light on facts.

Voting NO for both

What reasons would you have voted yes for? What purpose did this referendum serve for your fellow citizen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Consonata

Voting YES for both

Most folk, and almost assuredly most who are voting in this referendum, will be married folk who will retain all the rights and obligations that they would have had prior to said referendum. Nothing would change regarding this.

Wrt carers, at one end, very little changes beyond removing the onus of one specific gender to provide care in the home, and at the other end, as what seems to be the AG's impression, the state will have greater responsibility in protecting the rights of those who need help in law. Hard to see how that is a bad thing, nor is something that affects most voters.

For a lot of people voting, the driving factor for a No vote seems to be to give the government a kicking rather than being all that opposed to the new law.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,184 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Voting NO for both

"Even though nothing changes for anyone"

And that is exactly why I voted No & No. Reckless to vote Yes for the family one as it's not clear at all what you'd be agreeing to. And the second unnecessarily removes references to mothers etc.

So nothing will change and we'll all know where we are.

If that's what you think, fair enough. When people arent certain of the outcomes or haven't been convinced of the outcomes of a change, the default decision should be to remain as is. I don't see an issue with this logic. It is up to the persons looking for change to convince others that this change is a beneficial change.

Again, I'll state, I had no issues with last two referendums and change that happened as a result.

For the record, for me, it's not to give the government a kicking as most of the opposition are on the same side of the fence as the government parties on this one from what I can tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Ozvaldo

No to both I hate this woke government .Anything this lot say vote the opposite

• Registered Users Posts: 31 CoastalCork

Great to the concensus against these dreadful amendments .They won't pass thanks to Muintir na h Eireann

The people of Ireland must now be as resolute standing up to prevent Helen Mcentees hate speech fascist law coming into effect .

Common sense Abu

• Registered Users Posts: 31 CoastalCork

Encourage everyone with a pulse out to vote No No .

Right up to 10pm .my 22year old just went out and voted no ,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭tom23

Voting NO for both

wife just gone there now… No No. Would be a fantastic start to the weekend if the No side wins.

Voting NO for both

Hopefully boards.ie isn't an echo chamber, but based on comments here it's a landslide

• Registered Users Posts: 5,457 ✭✭✭This is it

Voting NO for both

I think it'll be yes/yes around 60/40 but hopefully I'm wrong

Voting NO for both

Anyone I spoke to has been a no, but in saying that I haven't spoken to a hundred people :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Hawkeye123

Voting NO for both

If those in power and the main stream media reckon the referendums will be defeated, they will try to downplay the result by saying things like the turnout was low which may or may not be the case. Truth is the first casualty of a corrupt regime.

If either of the referendums are carried, will the result be questioned? I mean, it doesn`t look likely from the general commentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I am voting NO (care amendment)

Voted Yes to the 39th Amendment and No to the 40th Amendment.

Yes to the Family Amendment because I didn't feel the negatives outweighed the positives. In particular I heard some examples both in the news and from a work colleague of family setups which have been at least partially disenfranchised because marriage is recognised over and above other stable and meaningful relationships. I wish the wording was stronger, but I think ultimately the greater good is achieved with it than without.

No to the Care Amendment because it takes a starting position of effectively no constitutional reference to care at all, which allows statute to define it, and instead muddies the waters with the word "strive". I do think there has been some misinterpration of that word - it is a strong one and I had to look up the definitions to find it is in fact a much stronger word than "endeavour", which was touted as an alternative. However I also read that the legal advice around the word was that a court may struggle to rule on it in the way I think the disctionary defnition is intended and instead lean towards a more lenient interpretation. I also watched Senator Tom Clonan, who has a son requiring care, give a couple of impassioned arguments against the amendmenent. I've read Senator Clonan's columns in the Journal for some time, mainly on military or defence matters, and always found his narrative insightful, balanced and logical. I gave a lot of weight to his view which I have respected for some years, and he is for sure more knowledgeable in this area than I am.

I also felt it didn't adequately address reccomendations of the Constitutional Convention which was the below and which I felt reflected two entirely seperate issues:

"Make Article 41.2 (on the role of women) gender-neutral to include other carers both ‘in the home’ and ‘beyond the home’.

The State should provide ‘a reasonable level of support’ to carers."

All things considered I felt this amendment opened the door to too much (more) ambiguity as to the state's responsibility regarding care, was essentially half-baked, didn't necessarily represent an improvement on a zero reference to care, and needs wording which is much less open to interpretation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭tom23

Voting NO for both

ah dude don’t be saying that! hopefully it’s the other way around

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭martco

Voting NO for both

voted NO NO

and there's 5x other NO NO's that I know of in my own extended family

2x reasons:

1) that wishy washy language, like "strive"??? they can't be serious

2) I want to punch that Thatcherite fupp in the face, a warmup for the coming GE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Voting NO for both

Gavan Reilly saying on twitter that no exit polls expected - none commissioned by the media.

Posters saying IPSOS were polling people, but apparently it's an Electoral Commission research exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I am voting NO (care amendment)

I don't feel that's a reasonable logic upon which to base a vote in a constitutional referendum.

The Government that put the question may be incompetent, that doesn't mean their proposed answer to the question is. At the local, European, Presidential elections - sure, have a proxy vote against the governement of the day - but the constitution is our fundamental law and has to be judged on its merits alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Voting NO for both

As was said early people have being waiting in the long grass for years to get at these buffons in Dáil Éireann. Today was that chance. The togs will be fairly **** tomorrow and with local and general elections looming the anti FF/FG/SF green will only get larger. We are heading for Italian style politics with 7 or 8 parties trying to form minority governments. The contempt that they’ve held the people for a century has now come back to bite them. FF and FG can’t blame each other anymore after time in opposition. They’re all sucks off the one sow now.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭pj12332

Odds have been taken down by boyles. Anyone know what the closing odds where?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Danny Drier

Stop your gibberish and taste the pain of defeat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,457 ✭✭✭This is it

Voting NO for both

Completely agree. This craic of a No vote because the Gubberment, or Yes vote because the church support a No is ridiculous. Try formulate some sort of opinion and base it on that, not what Mick down the road is voting.

Advertisement