Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Contract Rearing

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭lmk123

It’s easy for them to have a fine herd with the money they get, if any normal farmer ran their farm like Pallaskenry they’d be out of business or else shut down after 1 year. If something can’t be done from a tractor in that place it simply won’t be done. I could go on for the day ranting about that place so I’ll just stop now 😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Jack98

Pedigree herd before he retired, half forced him to leave as he wouldn’t fall in line with the new cross bred mentality.

Didnt even bother to start breeding into a cross bred herd from the hols full clearance and replaced with a brand new herd that’s why their ebi is so high.

Anyway it would have been a much better exercise to show farmers the affects of cross breeding to carry out the transition on their own herd over time.

Theyve had a few yes men managers since Gene left but Derek is calling the shots and he is insufferable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭White Clover

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭lmk123

Good I’m delighted to hear it, the last time I was there was 4 years ago this weekend so fortunately I’m not up to date with whatever nonsense they’re at these days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,161 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

The fine herd wasn’t washing its face from what I understand. No defined calving season, very poor grazing going on etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭jaymla627

New herd is hardly either, I think sub 400kgs ms sent last year delivered, the new jcb 320s with a 24 cube Abbey tub and 150k valtra feeding the cows made me laugh in one of their videos, half a million euros worth of machinery to feed a herd of grass based cows

Them issues are hardly the cows fault and it seems the same issues are unresolved still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭red_diesel

Can be a good fit for someone exiting milk. Most likely have cubicles, paddock systems etc in situ. We exited milk more than 10 years ago, store to beef now. Still using the same housing so bullocks in cubicles. Works, but not ideal and to be honest returns and numbers are not at a level where we could justify building proper slatted shed. Never looked in to contract rearing but I'd say it could work well here.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭WhichWay

Opportunity cost.

If the host farm could buy yearlings in the spring, with good grassland management add 1kg/day worth €2.50/day.

Reduce that rate to account for buying dear and selling low, spring and autumn.

Is €2/day excessive for contract rearing?

• Advertisement

What about the housed period? €2/day over 365 days wouldn't do.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭WhichWay

To be fair the beef altnerative wouldn't do 1kg/day on silage alone over winter so example was just for summer grazing March to October.

Maybe only 0.75kg/day across 12months. This would indicate a lower rate of 1.70 or 1.80 €/day as the opportunity cost. If the dairy farmer supplies the nuts and medicines and suffers any losses then the rate would reduce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

One variable that needs to be sorted is the nuts. Poor grazing season, needs higher nut input/day. Similarly, silage quality can vary and nut input/day may be higher. The key target weights have to be met with the dairy replacement. If they vary a bit with calf to beef, it doesn't matter much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,077 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Add to that a rotary parlour and an underpass as well as new silage slabs. I know they were locked up with TB if they still are locked up I am not sure.

No not if you are running a profitable drystock system. 5+ years ago I reckoned I needed 1.4/ day to change. You also have to factor in that its a contract. Sone dairy farmers woukd have no problem pulling a contract at short notice. Most as well want.only there stock.on the farm that means if they do not have adequate stock for you you need to do calf to store/beef with there stock.

You have significant loading on grass in the autumn say 40 weanlings and 40 incalf heifers and no spring loading 40 yearlings. Its effectively double the soring stocking rate. You will have early housing and whime in theory you think with incalf heifers leaving in December they could possibly be housed since late Sept/early October.

You should be having calves as well sonobe should balance the other

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement