Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭threeball

Said as much when Macron first mentioned it. Its the political effects of the refugee crisis he fears most.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭jmreire

That sounds remarkably like you believe that China is now Top Dog in the world? Xi barks, and the World shuts up and listens???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Putin has no issues sending his lambs to the slaughter, would Macron feel the same? It's all very well and good until the first French solider dies.

It's a grand announcement, but has serious ramifications. France can't go triggering article 5 because French soldiers got killed in Ukraine. It's definitely upped the ante but to what end? Wouldn't it be better if France just upped their game like Germany and backed Ukraine to the hilt with arms rather than needing to think about French boots on the ground?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,153 ✭✭✭saabsaab

He has the foreign legion they love this kind of stuff. Seriously tough soldiers..

Ok, that's a fair bloody point. Kinda hard to argue there. I never thought about that option.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

He basically just made that up didn't he? Or at the very least distorted the Chinese complaints about *EU* sanctions to give his American twitter audience a little thrill

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭eoinbn

This war is no longer just about the future of Ukraine it is about west vs 'east' & democracy vs dictatorship. The western democracies weren't as weak as Putin thought but unfortunately they are/were weak enough for him to prevail. Macron is finally catching on, but he is years too late.

There is a high probability that we will see a US dictatorship if Trump wins the next election - a Putin victory makes it far more likely. It's pretty much a guarantee that he will try and be one.

If France do get involved I would imagine it would be to provide air support. They don't have an army that is designed to fight a peer on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Or the people for that matter. The only thing they can send in is their foreign legion as even he cant risk regular troops coming back home in black bags.

It is just a rhetoric to appear strong. If you notice the same is coming from Canada where Trudeau is in the same pickle with voters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭patnor1011

I am just saying what others concluded. The advance was slow because they were going through prepared defense lines. There is nothing back in rear to fall back to so pace may pick up on speed. Recent chaotic withdrawal from Avdeevka is an example of that.

There are no defense lines built and this may result in encirclement of few bigger cities in a way while they push much further inland. This is what is being discussed currently and what prompted Macron to start making bold statements which he cant back in reality anyway. He was hoping that few others will join him in his verbal offensive but others are not having it perhaps with exception of Justin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭Field east

Is that your considered opinion or is it based on fact. If on fact any chance that you will post proof of same

• Advertisement

Would the US military go along with Trumps dictatorship if he tried it ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,275 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'd say you'd see a split, thus pitching the country further into civil war. There'd be those who admired Trumps façade ofthe Strongman and military mindsets tend conservative, but you'd also have the brass who took their oaths seriously and would see resistance to Trump as that of a Protector of the Republic. It'd get extremely ugly real fast IMO and you'd also potentially see secessionist movements crop up too; California the most obvious example of a predominantly Blue state that has (AFAIK) more than enough resources (bar water IIRC) to go it alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭macraignil

"democracies weren't as weak as Putin thought but unfortunately they are/were weak enough for him to prevail."

How exactly has putin prevailed?

Another three months in Ukraine and the losses in his troops recorded by the Ukrainians may reach the half million mark and the Ukrainians have already recorded the destruction of over 6000 of his tanks and over 10,000 of their artillery systems as well as lots of other parts of what has proved to be a far from well functioning military force. His country faces some of the most rigorous international trade restrictions and has billions of international assets frozen due to their terrorist activities and he has had to murder many of his states military and economic leaders just to feel more secure in his grip on power. The so called elections that are due to be run soon have required any serious voices against the war or his leadership to be banned from running or sent to prison to die from natural causes. Many countries in the world continue to announce new supports for Ukraine's struggle to liberated their country from his military and while there may be small advances in places by putin's forces on the front lines the attrition levels they are continuing to experience makes continued occupation of Ukraine unviable in my opinion. Not a picture of prevailing from what I can see.

Just seen now reports that Ukraine has struck at a military aircraft facility in putin's empire with a new type of drone and Sweden hopes to soon send its Gripen fighter jets to Ukraine to help defend against putin's terrorists.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,275 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Any occupation of Ukraine would probably last about as long as breath stays in Putin's lungs. For starters the insurgency alone would require a disproportionate number of Russia's already depleted forces to stay in Ukraine and keep the "peace"; the crackdowns and punishment would be vicious but you'd guarantee the military that slipped through Moscow's fingers would go underground. The drone pilots twice as hard to find. And if there wasn't punitive action threatened the civil demonstrations alone would make whatever puppet state was established less than tenable. It'd need the threat of Russian violence to keep people at home.

Yet I couldn't see how Putin's death wouldn't cause an immediate and further swell in insurgent action as there'd be a natural nationalist upswing, sensing weakness when the emperor dies. As it was always thus when empires crumble. Assuming Moscow sees yet another coup, and that feels inevitable given the state Putin created, any and all factions fighting the Russians in Ukraine would probably make a play while Russia was distracted.

Point being: while Ukraine could yet face innumerable tragedy and death if it truly fell, but inspite of that, I can't see it staying in Russian hands for very long. The bell has been rung, Ukrainian autonomy confirmed as something literally worth fighting for - no amount of quisling inserts into Kyiv (and there already was one) is gonna quash that and the harder they try, the more this naturally independent nation will fight. Russians might like to invoke the glory days of the USSR but other nations remember those days less fondly; since 1991 Ukraine has had to watch its back, and remember the likes of Holodomor as an instruction of what happens when Russia attains primacy

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

They won't have 38 million against them because most will have headed west for refuge.

This is one of Putin's plans to destabilise the western Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,392 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I'm going to LOL so loud if this turns out to be true

A few twitter heads are reporting an A-50 was destroyed on the ground. Pinch of salt, but see what happens here.

All Eyes On Rafah

They don't need 38 million they just need a few hundred thousand on the streets, or a couple of thousand to resist through violence - which wouldn't be hard. Insurgencies are rarely made from millions but from fanatics, patriots, exmilitary and so on. By their nature they're small and hard to root out without disproportionate violence against civilians, thus catalysing resistance. And a puppet regime is gonna need a russian presence to keep power, or else the aforementioned throngs will turn up at Independence Square all over again. look at belarus, if there wasn't the threat of Russian intervention I daresay Lukashenko would have taken the midnight train to Moscow years ago.

As to Putin's plans, populism is still rife and Europe possessing its own problems but Putin's plans can't have involved the NATO border exponentially increasing and now on his doorstep. Or involved reducing his armed forces by 400,000 men (so far, a number that'll grow!) and tens of thousands of vehicles. If Putin wins it'll be a Pyrrhic Victory for the ages.

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭jmreire

Yes, the Chinese made their play, and were told to sod off, and they off they went.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭rogber

I certainly don't think Ukraine is about to fall, nor do I see any others suggesting it. But momentum swinging towards Russia coupled with increasingly alarmed noises from both the Ukrainians and Europeans is why there is some pessimism. There isn't any talk of a counter offensive this year so of course people are wondering how and where this will all end. It's realism, not defeatism, and it's also accompanied by the call for allies to maintain or increase support

Post edited by rogber on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭thereitisgone

Most Russians think like this, they have been shown to be a third world military force and they couldnt even contemplate admitting that the west has superior military so its just simpler to be Chinas lapdog

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

This is shocking.

How can they be so naive and not prepare properly?

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭I.am.Putins.raging.bile.duct

The websites on the list have different levels of bias, from constant criticism of the West, choosing only negative information about Ukraine and positive coverage of Russia, to spreading well-known Russian fakes and harsh Kremlin propaganda quoting Putin’s state media. The most radical sources also propagate global conspiracy theories, stigmatize the West and its political leaders, and predict its collapse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

The A-50 was there for repairs. Apparently a new type of drone with a bigger warhead is causing chaos for russian defences. No confirmation yet.

No talk of a new counteroffensive... I wonder why:

Asked whether Ukraine had plans for another attempt at a counteroffensive this year, he said: “We have a plan, a clear plan. Several plans will be prepared because of information leaks.”

You should let him know!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭rogber

I missed that, and stand corrected. I also expect because of last year's failure this one is being trumpeted less in advance. Wise move, let actions speak this time

Post edited by rogber on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

I've a few thoughts on western countries finally saying they could enter Ukraine.

1. It might be a warning to Putin not to pull another mass mobilisation post election which would probably help them take large chunks of Ukraine especially if US aid doesn't resume and Trump wins.

2. The west planned on doing this all along but waited for the Russian army to take huge losses, especially in terms of air and naval assets and missile stock depletion before going in which will mean less danger to their troops/jets.

3. Initially actual western troops could just protect the northern border with Belarus. Stay in western Ukraine and seriously help the logistics on that side. This will free up a lot of Ukrainian man power. If they ever decide to directly intervene I think it will come in the form of long range air strikes on land based targets in Russia itself. Probably targeting artillery, logistical hubs, ammo depots, bridges and air defence.

4. At most western countries would get involved with artillery and HIMARS strikes. I can't see them putting actual boots on the frontline.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement