Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

March 8th - What’s your vote? **Mod Note In Post #677**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

You must be so proud! Imagine a 22 year old going out to vote!

I can almost see the MAGA cap, the grey beard and the pot belly!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ozymandius2011

Voting NO for both

If I were an American I would probably be considered a moderate Democrat. However by Irish standards I think we are already a liberal society and what the government is trying to do is setting different freedoms against each other, particularly to the potential detriment of women who may not want to work outside the home due motherhood and not having a partner or people to help her with childcare. This creates a dilemma for moderate liberals.

Also, I have no idea what a "durable relationship" is, and don't trust our judiciary to decide. We have some ridiculous rulings from certain judges.

I voted yes to divorce in 2017 (liberalisation of divorce laws), the abortion referendum and the same sex marriage referendum. Those were better defined than this. I don't remember whether I voted yes or no to the Children's Referendum, but the issues going on with TUSLA which were raised by Peadar Toibin TD and others may have vindicated my caution.

I also think the Electoral Commission was fairly balanced in this referendum.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,326 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Voting NO for both

A durable relationship with FFG is something I won't strive for anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Is this a first for a party leader - canvassing outside a polling station? A FG spokesperson said no breach of the electoral rules happened because LV didn't obstruct or induce any electors in the vicinity of the polling station. Fair enough he didn't obstruct or impede anyone, but he must have been 'in the vicinity' because the big yellow sign on the school railings behind him clearly says Polling Station. Also he did try to induce people into voting yes by posting that video.

147.—(1) A person shall not interfere with or obstruct or impede an elector going to or coming from or in the vicinity of or in a polling station.

(2) During the period commencing 30 minutes before the time appointed for the taking of a poll at an election, including a poll which has been adjourned under section 107 , and ending 30 minutes after the close of the said poll, a person shall not, in or in the curtilage of a polling station or in any place within 100 metres of such station, for the purpose of promoting the interest of a political party or furthering the candidature of a candidate or candidates or soliciting votes for a candidate or candidates or for any contrary purpose, do any or all of the following things:

(a) loiter or congregate with other persons;

(b) attempt to induce, by any means whatsoever, an elector to vote for a candidate or candidates or vote in a particular way or refrain from voting;

(c) display or distribute any notice, sign or poster (other than a notice, sign or poster displayed by the returning officer) or card, circular or other document relating to the election; or

(d) use or cause to be used any loud-speaker or other public address mechanism to broadcast matter relating to the election.

(3) For the purpose of this section, a polling station shall be deemed to include all parts of the building and any land within the curtilage of the building in which the polling station is situate and the distance referred to in subsection (2) shall be measured from any entrance to the polling station or to the curtilage thereof.

(4) A person who contravenes subsection (1) or (2) shall be guilty of an offence

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Hawkeye123

Voting NO for both

Any word on the exit polls?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Voting NO for both

Who would one make a complaint to regarding this? Gardai?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭DaSchmo

Voting NO for both

This result and the reaction to it by political parties and the media is going to be so interesting if there's one or more "no's". Privately I'd imagine FF and FG will be furious with Roddy O'G who regardless of the result has made a complete dog's dinner of it (that and literally everything else in his portfolio come to think of it) and has also been almost invisible during the campaign with the exception of one very weak performance debating on Radio 1 half an hour prior to the media blackout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,775 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭riddles

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Voting NO for both

He really needs to go. FG would do well to replace him with a new leader before the next GE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭tom23

Voting NO for both

He really doesn’t give a ****. Shure why would he? he is like a bold child constantly testing the rules. gets away with murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,263 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I Voted No for both.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Voting NO for both

Indo reporting an estimated 25% turnout nationally

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭tom23

Voting NO for both

That has to be the lowest in a long time if not all time?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,408 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Voting NO for both

Didn’t have any- I guarantee you if the establishment narrative was going to be voted for we’d have exit polls

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Voting NO for both

Thing is they’ll come out and say it’s the far right, Russian bots or some sh1te that cause no/no if it is no/no. But it’s not, it’s that they did it half arsed, it wasn’t clear and they just treat the electorate with absolute disdain. Someone recently said to me ‘I’m not far right, but I’m not fair wrong’ it’s stuck with me. Because when I look at everything this shower are doing and making a balls it and then crying ‘far right’ as an excuse it’s bullsh1t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Voting YES for both

I don't think a No Vote On the care referendum can be fully written as conservative Ireland at all. Many many people voted no on the care referendum for human rights and Liberal reasons.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Voting NO for both

Which is strange in itself IMO. Either no one in the media/Government cares, or they're afraid of the answers.

Voting NO for both

Probably, but ultimately pointless unfortunately.

As I said in the Government thread last night, rules and accountability are only for the "peasants" and others in our leaders minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭redunited

Voting NO for both

So we have high turn out in selected areas reported after RTE spent all day reporting low turn out.

No exit polls.

No tally people.

Very little TV coverage with RTE showing 10.30 to 11.30 only.

Voting NO for both

Ultimately there should also be a minimum (but high bar) level for turnouts/participation in referendums and elections.

If indeed the overall turnout is expected to be 40% (as reported by the IT this morning) then that should automatically require a rerun or failure of the amendment.

Only if a clear national majority have voted for something should it be passed.

Voting NO for both

Anything I’m seeing on Twitter is indicating a very strong No No trend already. These kind of yes no referendums you get a feel of the results very quickly.

Voting NO for both

Looking like a very strong No No- so proud of everyone that campaigned and voted no- despite the avalanche of establishment bias and caricatures. The fallout is going to be delicious

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭redunited

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Augme

Voting YES for both

Yea, afraid of the answers which they are going to get 12 hours later anyway....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Augme

Voting YES for both

I don't think encouraging people not to vote is a good idea tbh. If people are too lazy to vote they need to accept there are going to be consequences to that.

Advertisement