Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Referendum on Gender Equality (THREADBANS IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I don't think so. Given that yes were polling strongly before the referendum, a high turnout is in Yes favour.

A turnout of under 40, I'd have said No was a dead cert. And over 50 near certainty for yes. It looks like we will come in nationally between 40 and 50 which I think means it still remains too uncertain to call imo. Where voters have turned out will be key.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Downlinz

The NoNo crowd are a vocal but small group that needed a low turnout to succeed. It doesn't appear to be case, a 40%+ turnout for such an unimportant referendum is actually quite remarkable.

I'd predict something like 56% Yes for family and 52% Yes for care.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭highpitcheric

im for no-abstain.

im confident of a no win in family.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

To be very honest ... I couldn't care less about these 2 referendums .... there doesn't seem to be much difference between yes and no .... the courts already have laws dealing with all issues ... and there are more important things the state should be doing than wasting money on these campaigns ...

I'd love to know who pushes for these type of referendums .... plus we the people were not consulted when it came to more profound govt decisions on our lives like long lockdowns and bailing out the banks .... this whole issue of gender seems to be an obsession with some ... to me it is a private issue ... and respect everyone for who they are ... every darn thing does not need to be discussed and debated .... on the other hand there are some consistent problems the govt does need to address ... let's review the 2020s ....

2020 .... main problems .... Covid 19 .... OTT Covid 19 restrictions .... homelessnesss .... housing crisis ....

2021 .... main problems .... OTT Covid 19 restrictions .... homelessnesss .... housing crisis ....

2022 .... main problems .... homelessnesss .... housing crisis ....

2023 .... main problems .... homelessnesss .... housing crisis ....

2024 .... main problems .... homelessnesss .... housing crisis ....

There is a pattern there for ALL to see .... something was done about Covid 19 (vaccine), they finally woke up about the OTT restrictions .... but the other 2 things have remained and if anything are getting worse .... I think it is time to solve these not squander money on trivial referendums .... by not solving the 2 problems listed above you hand a cause to the evils of the far right .... esp with refugee crises and wars adding to the problems .... it is time for the govt to wake up like they did about their first (and v flawed) Covid policy ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭riddles

Who decides? The refernda were a PR stunt. How can we try to make it look like we are doing something without having to do anything in a real sense and all the other issues we should be creating outcomes on rumble on in a chaotic way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Where did you see 40%? All I am seeing is 20% and less. Not only that but mostly older people voting with young completely skipping this one. I would not be so confident with yes having a chance to win.

I went in there around 8.30 and I thought there may be some amount of late comers and stragglers in but there was nothing but tumbleweed. I suspect I actually woke some of the people sitting there at ballot boxes when I barged in.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,535 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Ended up not voting after all.

Read way too much conflicting information this week to be able to make any kind of a decision on what was essentially window dressing.

Seems there was no need at all for this referendum

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭robbiezero

I guess all your brow beating of No voters for xenophobia earlier in the forum was ill-informed.

No, I stand by calling those posts which were fearful of immigrants as xenophobia, because that's literally what they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Caquas

Wrong

The pollsters said the Yes side was doing well, but they were ignoring the signals from Don’t Knows, and, even more important, Don’t understand. If the results today are no, no, it would be an huge embarrassment for the pollsters in this country.

As I have said from the beginning, the politicians were aiming for a low turnout, perhaps even below 30%. That would assure them of a yes vote provided their loyal supporters turned out. Once the turnout increased, there were likely to be more disaffected voters who wanted to give the politicians a well-earned kick in the pants. If the politicians actually wanted a high turnout, they did a damn bad job of campaigning. How many politicians did you see on the streets looking for votes. Wait till June when the local elections come on and there will be floods of them. . And posters festooning every pole.

The main Irish Times headline has everything arseways as usual

Referendum counts live updates: Low turnout across country leads to pessimism over result.

It should read “higher-than-expected turnout leads to optimism for result.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭Cody montana

This must be the stupidest referendum we’re had in some time.

Boxes being opened now across the country.

If there is a clear majority one way or the other, it should be obvious to tallymen tallypersons within an hour of boxes being opened. Easily counted. Two votes but likely to be very similar trend. Not likely to be major divisions across the country (urban/rural, social class).

If it’s a clear Yes/Yes, the media will call it by 11 o’clock but if it’s No,No the media will dance around it until lunchtime while social media will call it quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

It looks like the No side won.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Any tally sheet I've seen on twitter has a substantial No vote.

In fact, this could be a very very large No vote.

It underlines what a mess this has been.

And Sinn Fein kept silent on it.

I’ll call both now - it’s No, No.

Social media show strong No votes on the care referendum across the country. I doubt Family will do much better.

Lets see how long before the media call it.

Big servings of humble pie for all the politicians (90% of whom didn’t lift a finger to get out the Yes vote. Saving that for the votes that matter in June and, I suppose, October.

One box from Ballyfermot showing 166 Nos and only 6 Yes.

Looks like a strong no - no

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭thegame983

A moment of silence for the poor journalists who are now currently in the fetal position.

It looks the areas with the most complicated family set ups have substantially voted No.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Former Labour politician Kevin Humphreys says it's leaning towards a no on early boxes in Dublin South Central...as per irish indo

Let's hope the Citizens Assembly nonsense is ended after this fiasco.

Another gigantic waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Augme

If anything it will give the argument that they should get more influence. There proposal seemed to be much more supported over the Government's one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,099 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

If that's true, it would be a very bad omen for those proposing these wordings. I thought with higher urban turnout over rural that this might favour Yes votes but that above would be significant insight if true.

If these do fail and I hope they do, will that be the end of Roderic O'Gorman? Between himself, Ossian Smyth and his circular economy bottles incompetence and the MIA Catherine Martin, not a great time for the Greens in government.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,413 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Collossal no vote by the sounds of things so far.

All Eyes On Rafah

Glasnevin Tally here from Dublin North West

43% Yes 57% No - Family

30% Yes 70% No - Care

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The Citizen's Assembly strikes me as lip service to a notion that the "plain people of Ireland" get a say. I don't think that's correct. The chair is appointed by Government and the agenda is set by Government. And it looks to me like the Government have decided what they will do anyway so hey, let's pretend we've listened to the people.

Sick of this hoodwinking. But anyway I'm not calling it yet, I'm saving my "excitement" for the early official tallies. Of course I'm hoping for NO NO. But we'll see.

“Leaning towards”😂

It’s a landslide in this station in South Central

4 boxes in Kingscourt Cavan showed only a handful of Yes votes

Sample in Birr Offaly showed 80% No in Family vote

In Mountmellick Laois 65% No for Family

Early indications in Meath East and Mayo are for a strong No

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭thegame983

There's only one thing to do now.

Blame Russia.