Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

March 8th - What’s your vote? **Mod Note In Post #677**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Voting NO for both

Former Labour politician Kevin Humphreys says it's leaning towards a no on early boxes in Dublin South Central...but remember, it's still very early days. As per Irish Indo

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Voting YES for both

Tallies are patchy.

There is some in places and none in others.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 19,409 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Voting NO for both

No difference. The trend is too heavy to make any impact

• Registered Users Posts: 9,165 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Voting YES for both

Almost anybody I've talked to has said they'll be voting no no, anecdotal but I'm starting to think that's the most likely outcome

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Voting YES for both

I did clerk in a rural village booth and can say imo it was a decesive no vot maybe as high as 80% so the result will boiil down to the diference in the rural/urban devide .Dublin working class with strong no so at this stage the result is only looking one way!!

• Advertisement

Voting NO for both

Liberal wealthy south Dublin areas are barely 50:50 yes no so you can take this one to the bank as a No No

• Registered Users Posts: 9,165 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Voting YES for both

They had this rule in UL for any student union votes, think it was a 15% of the student population threshold

People who didn't want something to change just ran "don't vote" campaigns and often nothing got done for the benefit of the majority

Similarly we can't have minorities in this country dictating how the majority live

• Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Voting NO for both

Or maybe it would force politicians to bring a higher standard to the electorate rather than either just presuming it'll pass anyway ("be grand!") , or being so arrogant/out of touch to think that people will just take their word for it.

If/when these 2 are rejected it'll be on the basis of the complete mess that was made of...

- the wording

- the messaging and explanation/justification

- the advertising/campaigning

That's entirely on the Government, not the electorate.

Voting NO for both

Glasnevin Tally here from Dublin North West

43% Yes 57% No - Family

30% Yes 70% No - Care

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I am voting YES (care amendment)

I was Yes Yes last week but quickly changed to No No during the debates and interviews. And to be fair I learned a fair bit about it on Boards. Delighted it will be a No No. The government really are useless.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭Augme

Voting YES for both

Not bothering to show up to vote is entirely on the electorate. If people aren't happy with the wording, messaging or anything else then get off thr couch and vote to reject it. Laziness should not be rewarded or encouraged.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,614 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

What an absolute waste of time and money all this was.

Voting NO for both

4 boxes in Kingscourt Cavan showed only a handful of Yes votes

Sample in Birr Offaly showed 80% No in Family vote

In Mountmellick Laois 65% No for Family

Early indications in Meath East and Mayo are for a strong No

Voting NO for both

There is something to be said about greater encouragement of participation in the process. Not sure if I'd go so far as to make voting mandatory, but apathy doesn't help change I agree.

But ultimately the question was put by the politicians who made very little effort to do so in any sort of coherent manner. It's no wonder that people switched off.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,614 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I think the last line could also apply to the government in this case. It was a hair brained idea to have these referendums.

Voting NO for both

It was (IMO anyway) intended to be a distraction from the other issues that have been dominating the headlines in recent months, and to build a bit of momentum in advance of the elections.

And the early indications would seem to suggest that they've failed on this one as well!

At least they're consistent in that respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Voting NO for both

If you took 15 of the dumbest weirdos in the country and placed them in the cabinet . . . you'd still have the same cabinet.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,900 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Well there was a lot of confusion around both referendums and last night a person said to me “ did half the people know what they were voting for ?” And that’s on the government as they called these referendums. It was the most half arsed, and half hearted referendum campaigns I can remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Voting YES for both

Looks like it's a resounding No No

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Voting NO for both

When liberal Dublin suburbs are voting a strong No you know it’s over

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

I think the government assumed the votes would pass, and that’s not a given in these ones.

and I couldn’t vote in the nice treaty. Maybe I should’ve said in ones I could vote in.

Voting NO for both

Absolutely and that is entirely on Government.

The longer this current Government drags on (FG have been in power since 2011) the more arrogant and out of touch they've become. Leo blatantly campaigning outside a polling station is just the latest example.

That's also reflected in the stance on immigration, the complete failure on housing, the most expensive children's hospital in the world that STILL isn't complete (and will probably not be fit for purpose in the end anyway in part because of the location they chose), and lots of other key issues.

It's only right that these should fail. Not as a kicking to them but as a reflection on how they failed on even putting together a coherent argument for them in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

I think the ability for the electorate to smack this government on the nose hard is a big factor too

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Voting NO for both

Government and assumption seem to go hand in hand, especially when the electees are so far removed from reality. Cant wait for the general elections, we direly need a change of government.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,184 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Voting NO for both

Look at the useless leaflet from the referendum commission, all it did was list the existing terms and proposed changes in Irish & English. I glanced at it and straight to the bin. I'd say many others didn't even get opened.

No attempt at all to list a few pros and cons for accepting or rejecting. No FAQ. If the intent is to inform it was a pretty useless waste of time, paper & money.

This stems from a reluctance to spend public money promoting a No campaign. But if we really believe in democracy and the right to vote Yes or No, then the government must learn that they need to inform the public better of all sides of the case.

Voting NO for both

That turned out to be prophetic - from the wiki page :

However, many Irish voters were critical of the Treaty contents, believing that it marginalised smaller states.

... Which is exactly what happened during the financial crisis.

It's only right that these should fail. Not as a kicking to them but as a reflection on how they failed on even putting together a coherent argument for them in the first place.

No. I don’t agree with giving the government kicking. I read what is being asked, and I wasn’t sure on both but the care referendum from what the AG said was a complete mess. I couldn’t vote yes on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,775 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Voting YES for both

I am not one to look for conspiracy theories when there clearly isn't one, like people bringing there own pens as they dont trust that their choice wont be rubbed out (not a joke). I honestly don't think people care that much. Exit polls make zero difference. It always seemed like a waste of money.

Hence the low turn out, a lot of people had no idea what they were voting for so I don't blame them. I eventually voted yes/no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Seamus4life

Voting NO for both

The people have spoken, cue the usual lefty mouthpieces saying how backwards we are and we will be a laughing stock on the world stage. The same country that rejects this , accepted gay marriage, abortion and children rights. At least my mother will still be recognised as such by the state tomorrow when I thank her for all she did for me when my da had to work himself to an early grave to feed us all

Advertisement