Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Did someone say he was a top 10 hw?

just goes to show how poor fury was, on that showing someone like David price even would make mince meat of ngannou

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭GHendrix

It’s actually great marketing by AJ to go after the 2 big blips on Fury’s CV in Wallin and Ngannou.

Both are very average fighters. Fury struggled with Wallin due to the cut. It happens. And he struggled with Ngannou because he didn’t take it seriously. Shouldn’t happen but it did.

AJ has certainly impressed me in his last 2 fights. But I still think he looked underwhelming against Franklin and I’m not convinced by the current hype.

Id like to see him in there with some bigger names this year to see how he gets on.

Im thinking Hrgovic, Wilder, Parker would be good fights. But also possibly Joyce, Zhang would be decent or Whyte if he makes a good comeback.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,633 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Some were saying he beats several top 10 HWs.

oh, and how the top 10 HWs wouldn’t want a piece of him

Post edited by walshb on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,331 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Comparing fury v walling and Aj v wallin is slightly off because there’s five years between fights, after fury was cut wallin couldn’t finish him and he’s done nothing of note since really

granted Aj looked very impressive against him but wallin seemed like a deer caught in the headlights and couldn’t cope at all with the power of Aj who was feeling safe knowing wallin has limited power

hopefully this is an end to cross over nonsense now and we get back to normal, if Turkey whatever his name is could give Zhang a bag of cash to not take up the rematch it would be good

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭GHendrix

Comparing any fights is a bit of a pointless exercise. Wilder KOd Helenius in 1 round. That doesn’t make him the best HW.

Fury actually tends to do better against tougher opponents. He dominated Wlad and Whyte while AJ struggled more with those.

It is what it is. This division is unpredictable. Wouldn’t be surprised at all if Wilder still KOs AJ.

Whyte is fooking awful. And was far more awful when Fury beat him compared to AJ beating him.

Fury didn’t dominate Wlad. It was an awful awful scrappy fight.

AJ knocked Wlad out. Yes, was a tough fight, but he closed the show. He also obliterated Francis, who arguably could have gotten the nod vs Fury.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭NiceFella

Does anyone reckon Ngannou will box again? That was one of the hardest Knockouts I've ever seen and he completely walked into it.

One of the most basic things you learn in boxing is to get on your bike when you are hurt to give yourself time to recover. Ngannou got up off the floor and moved forward??

I mean the difference in class was so obvious that I think it's almost irresponsible for promoters to put him in against boxers with a serious pedigree. He is no doubt talented man, but he went way into the deep end. Only reason he did well against fury is because Fury is a joke that doesn't take fitness seriously. Anyhow, I really like ngannou, just wouldn't want to see him seriously hurt.

I think Francis was more in a completely dazed state rather than him intentionally moving forward or inviting the final shot. He looked out of it. Not sure his mind and body could have allowed him defend, cover up, run.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

There was an eeriness to it watching joshua practice that right hand before the fight and then demolish Ngannou with it. Ngannou was lucky with Fury that he was in rotten shape and made it a snail fight. The tactic of going southpaw in the first round is curious. It’s like his team never thought about what might come the other way. The huge gaps in his guard were so obvious. When he was hurt it was always going to be devastation. This time he could be studied and weaknesses spotted. I hope that’s the end of the crossover nonsense. I hate this. Totally unfair on real boxers because customers want to watch the celebs. Looking on at that is hard for Parker and Zhang, particularly Zhang who was overlooked until he got to about 38. I think Joshua will wait for the winner of undisputed now. Someone made the point well earlier, he’s looked good against two punchbags (in boxing anyway) that fury underestimated and now he holds a lot of the keys. Either he can fight for all the belts or wait until they get fragmented and take on someone like Hrgovic for them. Ultimately I think he can look great when it’s easy but hasn’t got the answers when it’s put up to him. Still think Fury beats him and Usyk doesn’t need him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Joshua has the answers until he gets punched in the face. Fury looking particularly lean these days. Not sure that's a good thing.

I mentioned same regarding Fury. Just looks little off.

Ok, everyone would love AJ v Fury. But here goes:

Fury and Usyk have rematch clause, so if all goes smoothly, rematch October/November this year, and Fury/AJ March/April, 2025.

Chances the rematch scrapped and we get Fury/AJ this year?

Should have been waved off after the second knock down.

Ref gave him a charitable amount of time to show he was well enough to fight but he was nowhere near fine. When the ref told him to get to the corner he couldn't do it.

Ref is lucky that Ngannou seems to be alright otherwise there'd be a lot of eyes on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,346 ✭✭✭✭blade1

No. I’m saying no matter what result first fight, could the rematch be scrapped, or even deferred.

Thought Hearne said Joshua gets the winner.

Not sure how that works with a 2 fight deal ending one a piece.

Yup. To “side” with referee, I think the fact that Francis seemed to be able to follow his count while having eye contact, and get up at 8/9, this must have factored in with the referee allowing him continue.

Yes. I’m confused. My understanding is that no matter what result May 18, a rematch is to happen

You were nearly caught out there again, young fella! As I say I think it’s as likely that Joshua becomes champion again via the belts being stripped and broken up as much as fighting either Fury or Usyk.

On Fury’s physique what else would you expect? He’s about to fight a very nimble and elusive man for all the belts. He has to be mobile. I reckon he needs to be in at least the type of shape for Wilder 2. At the moment he looks around that if not trimmer. I’d be concerned if he weren’t looking trim. The potential Joshua fight is too far down the line to talk about yet.

Anyone any take on Fury’s reaction to the KO? Sky making a lot out of it. Paused then applauded, pretty unremarkable thing to happen imo

• Advertisement

Caught out how?

Isn’t there a Fury-Usyk rematch clause? If so, we can wait for AJ/Fury after the rematch, unless they scrap/defer the rematch. I thought my query was crystal clear.

I would much rather Fury/AJ this year as opposed to some time in 2025

Softly side with the referee. He looked like he got up around the 8.5/9 on the first knockdown. By the second his mouth was hanging open and his eyes didn’t look great either. That free hit Joshua got to tee up could have been disastrous.

At the moment there’s a rematch clause but that doesn’t mean it will happen. If there’s a clear win for Fury I don’t expect a rematch. If Usyk wins then Fury will chase one.

Implying Fury would win, leading to a Fury Joshua fight. Haha you’re a bit prickly tonight considering Joshua is now kingpin again. I’ve just posted my thinking on the rematch in previous contribution

Still confused. Does the rematch clause apply no matter what the result? That was my understanding, hence no idea why I’d be caught out. I am picking Usyk to win.

Jaysus. When you posted a while ago about the rematch you then spoke about when we’d likely see Fury vs Joshua. About this time next year if I remember correctly. Well, that’s the scenario should Fury win otherwise it would be Usyk Joshua III were Usyk to have the belts.

I’ve a feeling there won’t be a rematch. Hell, I’m not convinced yet we’ll see the fight in May. But it’s very bad looking if it gets called off yet again.

Ok, so rematch clause only applies if Fury wins? If Usyk wins there is no rematch clause?

In a nutshell, be great if we got AJ/Fury October time this year..

I have no appetite for Usyk-AJ 3

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Sounds like fury Joshua is a foregone conclusion so …

Not at all. Styles make fights. Of course, one can analyse common opponents, but it’s not an exact science, as history has shown us

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭reclose

We could end up with this situation. Usyk beat Joshua. Fury beats Usyk. Joshua beats Fury.

Then for fun Parker beats Joshua. Ruiz beats Parker.

• Advertisement

They both have the same rematch clause if what they say is true.

Your appetite unfortunately will have no bearing on it. They sing to the tune of their Saudi overlords now.

Advertisement