Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Referendum on Gender Equality (THREADBANS IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Glebee

Government shocked with result....FFS what planet are they on.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,315 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Maybe you’ll be less confused when you see what political elements loudly celebrate a victory for No.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭freebritney

I drink all your milkshake, I drink it up. It must be an awful shock waking up realising the view esposed by the Irish Times, Kitty Holland, Holly Cairns, Ivana and the rest isn't the view shared by the vast vast majority of this country. Insulting people who don't share your views isn't very becoming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

It wasn't good enough IMO. FYI I'm generally quite a Liberal voter. Voted pro choice and for same sex marriage in the last 2 referenda. Constitutional referenda are not about party alignment, they're about voting for the proposed amendments based on their merits. Not some sort of Liberal v Conservative competition like you seem to think they are.

General elections are for standing with the National Party and Ireland first. Both of which I have not and would never vote for in a general election.

The Catholic Church and David Quinn can't be voted for. FYI I'm irreligious. Married in a civil ceremony to a woman, who doesn't think I'm a misogynist.

Thanks for that sweeping generalisation, it was super helpful. Enjoy your sour grapes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

'It's clear we need more diversity training, extra NGO funding, a clampdown on the far right, some sort of tax on voting the wrong way, more regulation by social media companies around misinformation, climate awareness, and another round of vaccinations.' - Ewan MacKenna on X.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Richmond wasn't the only one, the likes of Catherine Martin being called out on her misinformation and then doubling down on it, Leo Varadkar the other day and the Michael Martin saying "let the courts decide", didn't help matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭briany

• Registered Users Posts: 45,588 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I voted Yes to both. Most family members I spoke to were for No. Reasons I heard were largely based on fear of what would happen.

In my view, the government made a pig's ear of the wording and then explained it to the people badly. I was expecting a No for those reasons. The undecideds were likely to lean on the side of caution.

Lessons need to be learned from this. I'd worry about a similar situation happening in a future border poll, i.e. poor layout, poor explanations leads to the public rejecting reunification.

Sad say for the country imo. The wider world will look at this as an excuse to paint us as the old backward Ireland of the last century where women's duties are in the home. It also blows out of the water this back-slapping of the last few years that we are so forward-thinking and progressive and that the old conservative Ireland is gone. it hasn't gone away. This is still a deeply conservative country.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,053 ✭✭✭✭rob316

That's not enough to vote yes, just because the right wing fascists campaigned it. I can think for myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

They have a biological man who is a trans woman on their Council telling them what to do. That's why they are out of touch with the biological Mna na hEireann.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Most people I work with were voting No/No with the reason that the proposals were a mess.

It would have been acceptable to change the words “woman” and “mother” to “parent”, and also it would have been acceptable to update the Family wording to include all types of legal guardians (not sure of what would be the most appropriate term(s) to use) , but the real issue was the slap in the face to carers.

The whole idea of sticking a piece in the family section about family caring for family reeked of government wanting to avoid tackling the issue.

The Article 45 for social justice is where this should have appeared, with a strengthening of rights so that disabled people should be supported in the manner of their choosing, and carers should be paid a salary from the state for their work.

”4     1° The State pledges itself to safeguard with especial care the economic interests of the weaker sections of the community, and, where necessary, to contribute to the support of the infirm, the widow, the orphan, and the aged.”

This article states that the Oireachtas is responsible for making the laws to follow the directives for social policy.

So it’s really within their power now to start dealing with the whole issue around carers being paid adequately for their work and disabled people getting the care they need, whether within their home or within the community.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike at

• Registered Users Posts: 36,315 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Not very liberal to vote for family to continue to be defined in the context of marriage; or to vote for women to be referenced as having a place in the home and offer value to society primarily as mothers.

But anyway, I’ll let who’s celebrating No wash over you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

I’m gonna make them all loads of well deserved sandwiches now. Helen said it’s what I’d have to do if yes didn’t pass

😜

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Milominderbender

I was just about to post that 😂. I'll be playing it when I collect my money from the bookies today.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,053 ✭✭✭✭rob316

It's really not a sad day, no one wanted this referendum. I'd call it a good day for democracy though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Yep, that seemed to be people's biggest issue, and they didn't understand that it didn't matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭chooey

I don’t feel that I voted no, no based on fear. I voted no, no as there is no clarity as to what is going to happen if I voted yes. It’s not a fear that I have, it’s logical to want to know the outcome of I’m voting for something to come in.

For what it’s worth, I’m not pale, male. I’m a women in my late thirties, work outside the home and have a couple of kids. Have friends who are single parents and they are 100% a family and they and for what it’s worth they’ve all voted no too. There was no clarity

I could quote plenty of posts that state people are confused. Not sure why you would deny that. It was plainly obvious.

The rest is off topic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Downlinz

You're giving far too much credit to fringe lunatics who make up a very small percentage of the vote. The public didn't feel the wording was an improvement and Yes/Yes ran a poor campaign to convince people otherwise, it's as simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

It is this attitude that has never served us well....do you think anyone outside of Ireland care's about what we do...we are an irrelevance, always were. It is a deep seeded insecurity in us as a people that we get wrapped up in what other people think of us, it's pathetic and time we moved past that fragile attitude. A self confident nation has no difficulty dealing with alternate views.

We are riddled with dysfunction and we have a political and media class who are burying their heads in the sand!! You voted yes because you were told to...you were given not one reason to vote yes apart from vague mumblings about sexist language, you fell for it!! Take some time to reflect on the referendum you just voted on and how it tallies with real issues that are affecting everyone around you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭DaithiMa

People 'didn't understand' it didn't matter? So people only voted no because they were too stupid to understand?

Michael McDowell explained brilliantly why it mattered. I'd wager that anyone that watched him with McEntee on VM the other night were left in absolutely no doubt that it mattered. Hence an absolute landslide.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

The " Citizens assessmbly" is an echo chamber of liberal progressives posing as a broad representation of the citizenry

A bad joke who no one but activists takes seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 18,211 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

So your view is you should vote based on what team you're on? This isn't a football match. The wording in both referendums was crap and the AG couldn't say how the courts would interpret them in real situations. The only logical vote in that insurance was no.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

Proving what many of us always knew, Murphy is as establishment as they come

The rebel pose is pure pantomime

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

Would you believe that some people's political choices exist on a spectrum? It's not a simple as you'd like to portray I.e. Liberal = good, Conservative = bad.

Why bother with the legal institution that is marriage so? If a 'durable' relationship can be considered equivalent to marriage with respect to family? Marriage itself isn't even 'durable', it can be dissolved legally via divorce. That proposal was a mess.

The simplest proposal for the other amendment would have been to replace the word 'women' with 'parents'. That amendment was being used to get goverment financially off the hook for the care of infirm or less able citizens. That's why I voted no, it was a stunt.

I couldn't care less who's celebrating the No vote. I exercised my democratic rights as I see fit, as did you. Thankfully our votes are equal in the eyes of the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Consonata

Well this is all very grim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Downlinz

The citizen assembly is representative of the population, if you feel otherwise then you're holding radical views on the fringes.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

You tell 'em, this is the real way to win hearts and minds 😂

Yes, McDowell is well known for his scare tactics

• Advertisement
Advertisement