Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

March 8th - What’s your vote? **Mod Note In Post #677**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,609 ✭✭✭✭walshb

For anyone who was confused, the very use of this “durable relationships” should have been a very clear red flag as to the absolute fooking nonsense being proposed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭tastyt

Agree 100% Rte are an absolute disgrace . In straight away with “ shur the plebs just don’t understand the question “

Shills

• Registered Users Posts: 11,184 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Voting NO for both

What do you mean at all? I'd say most people posting here are far better informed than the average on the matters raised.

We understood perfectly well why we should vote No. Not an ounce of confusion.

As for Labour, we can look forward to Bacik eating humble pie - she was prominent in calling for Yes votes and clearly way out of touch with her former Labour voters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Voting NO for both

All the rabid liberals (which is 99% of TDs) all foaming at the mouth now trying to deflect the blame for this utter failure!

Ivanna bacik saying "everyone agrees the current wording in the Constitution is awful, the government proposed the wrong wording" -

Sorry ivanna, you and your handbag pup aoidhan o' Riaeioudhain were the poster children of the campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Repo101

Voting NO for both

The proponents of yes, yes just don't seem to get it. Despite the obfuscation from Roderic O'Gorman, Helen McEntee, Leo Varadkar and the sneering Michael Martin et al, government are now trying to play the misinformation card when they can't even define what a durable relationship is. Ivana Bacik did a poor job of throwing the government under the bus on RTE but I don't think the electorate will be quick to forget Labour, SF and Soc Dems role in this referendum either.

Gombeens of the highest order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭tom23

Voting NO for both

especially sinn fein who will want to run it again. They can **** right off.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,095 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I was on the fence about the marriage one before I heard varadkar open his mouth then I went a big fat NO on both.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

The rte knew it was going to be no hence a small shtbox hour of analysis. Yeah sure on at 3 again

If it were yes yes they wud be wall to wall with it. Ringing wolf blitzer on CNN saying how great we are etc

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭tjhook

From the Indo:

"Green Party leader Eamon Ryan accept both referendums are unlikely to pass. Mr Ryan said the Government has to accept the will of the people and it will be for another administration to re-run the referendums."

Hmmm, that's an idea, we should have re-runs of all referendums after a few years. I voted to keep the Seanad and I regret that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Voting NO for both

Why did you vote to keep the seanad? Was always mystified by this...

I vote yes to a pointless system that gives us more politicians we don't want and the cherry on the cake being they don't even have to win an election to get into it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

Voting NO for both

So we have all the party's who are not in government who advocated a yes vote bar Aontu saying the wording was terrible and it's the governments fault.

Why in the name of jaysus did they not advocate a no vote so. Absolute nonsense. And then Joe O'Brien saying they failed with the online/social media side of things.

Absolute nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Seamus4life

Voting NO for both

Marriage equality was 62 yes , abortion 66 yes. talk from politicians about re running them if this is higher they will rerun til they get their way.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,378 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Voting NO for both

That's one thing bacik won't do is eat humble pie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭calculator

Exactly. Nobody could possibly understand 'durable relationship' because it wasn't defined. It could mean literally anything. So rightly or wrongly, when faced with that, lots of people will say better the devil you know and say no.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Hungry Burger

Voting NO for both

Someone’s sore this morning. Great to see the ideological lunatics get a kicking.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,419 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Voting YES for both

Well, remember all the nonsense that the no side said would happen if Lisbon 1 had passed? Where is all that now?

People who vote no in referendums 'as a protest against the government' are dumb because all it does is empower the headbangers who count your vote as part of their support

Voting YES for both

Referendums are won and lost by the undecided and swing voters

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Repo101

Voting NO for both

People who vote yes for a word the government can't define and for to 'strive' are the headbangers here. I suspect yes, yes won't learn their lesson here as they all live in a bubble devoid of reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,044 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Voting NO for both

Lisbon 2 had a number of changes specifically relating to those things most voters had a problem with for Lisbon 1. No **** most of it didn't come to pass after Lisbon 2

Voting YES for both

Did you understand the AGs statement? Because there was a lot of distortion about what they actually said

• Advertisement

Your stance here reeks of the same arrogance and disrespect being displayed by those who proposed these changes. This vote was rejected by people, and trying to label the result as being due to uneducated people stinks

edit. Poster did not label any no voters as uneducated. Aplogies, Akrasia

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Voting NO for both

Why didn't the little people do what their idiot superiors told them to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭tjhook

At the time the Seanad members themselves were falling over themselves to tell us how they'd reform the institution if it was kept. I believed them. Yeah, I regret it now. I'd prefer a reformed Seanad to no Seanad at all, but it doesn't look like we'll ever get that choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Voting NO for both

I agree with you that anyone voting based on personalities or a protest is doing the country a disservice. Vote on the issues and do your own research and make up your own minds.

However if you want to suggest that we're better off as a result of things like a huge disconnect between theoretical national wealth and reality on the ground, or the current immigration disaster, or the way Ireland was bounced into taking on the bailout under threat from our EU "friends", well...

That's not to say that we need an IrExit but we definitely need to respect the will and priorities of the Irish people on these issues rather than the recent (American imported) tendency to try and deflect to notional far right influences, or Putin hiding under the bed, and put those interests first domestically and abroad.

The Government look to have received a hiding today. In theory they should take this as a learning experience and not put another lazy, misinformed or misleading distraction referendum in front of the people next time. But in reality of course the aforementioned deflection and hiding has already begun.

Voting YES for both

And here we have a single person speaking as though they are the divinely appointed spokesperson for every No voter on this thread.

I have eyes. I can see loads of reasons why people voted no, some of them contradict each other

Voting YES for both

A lot of reading between the lines here

Voting YES for both

I just think it's a pity that carers seem to have been denied the chance to sue for better resourcing under the new framing of the constitution.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,387 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Voting NO for both

To be honest the strength of the No-no vote indicates that there was not only a problem with the wording of the amendments, but the proponents too.

The scale of some of the no vote boxes indicates that some communities are completely lost to the mainstream.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,409 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Voting NO for both

A lot of nerves about June now. If the same mood is reflected then there’s going to be a major sweeping away of establishment candidates. FG could easily lose all their MEPs

Advertisement