Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Referendum on Gender Equality (THREADBANS IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Just listened to McDowell there, the manner in which this debacle has been handled is actually extremely concerning, rushed through the houses, vital minutes of meetings with the AG were deliberately withheld from the public....the political class, all of them bar a few independents, have supported the Government in this, the NGOs, the media who published laughable polls, have attempted something very nefarious here....this was no ordinary Referendum.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,721 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Boards has a userbase broadly within the demographic band that would be most likely to get out and vote so it's becoming a reasonable barometer for such things in recent times.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭AAAAAAAAA

I think if more clearly and precisely defined most Irish people would have given a yes vote. The issue is that the undefined wording that was provided is obvious waffle with potentially massive downsides.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

For sure. Though Micheál Martin's performance on Prime Time was far an away the worst IMO. His blatant bullshitting that "strive" was a strong word sealed it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

They don’t represent me anyway and I raised my children as a single, full time working mother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭jackboy

I'd imagine whoever first suggested that 'genius' idea will be keeping the head down today. Not that it made a significant impact in itself, just something else on top of the pile of mistakes in this sh1tshow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭deirdremf

The Constitution does not say the woman's place is in the home. Far from it - what it says is that a woman should not be forced to work when needed at home. That wording could be updated to be more inclusive - but it wasn't. And as a result, the government got a trouncing.

I suspect that there were two things behind the referendums:

1. The government wants to remove State obligations - and many here will have seen a clip of Varadkar saying that in his opinion it is the individual who should be responsible for family care and not the state. Removing that article would allow the state to shift the balance from the State (which here means the Irish people as a community) to the individual and thus allow the government to step back from supporting those most in need.

2. Specifically mentioning Women in the constitution is anathema to those pushing the trans agenda. I'd imagine that there is jurisprudence involving the word Woman which could be undermined by removing the word from the constitution, and thus allowing the legislature to define the word as it sees fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭volchitsa

You mean if the wording had been such that voters might actually have been able to see how it could have a positive effect on women, families or carers?

I see the mistake you're making there. 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭Economics101

This should be just as big an embarrassment for the opposition parties, who virtually all campaigned for a Yes. If you are interested in a blame game, then it shouldn't be one-sided.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Exactly, the Govt viewed these referenda as a way to further undermine the idea of a welfare state, among a few other things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,721 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

It was definitely planned to be another photo opportunity for Ireland to be highlighted as the poster child for progressive ideology.

The difference between this and say the marriage equality referendum is that letting people of the same sex marry each other didn't negatively impact anyone, it was an easy win because it sold itself as a concept and only actual bigots had a problem with it.

The idea that we were finally voting on equality between men and women (see the title of this thread for confirmation of that misunderstanding) wasn't fooling anyone.

Hopefully this is received as an indication that while Ireland is a progressive country, government can't just shovel any auld crap at the Irish people and demand that they fall in line.

Any attempt to re run these referendums would be foolish in the extreme and a true indication of the hubris of our ruling class.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭Homelander

But the blame is one-sided. The Government advanced the proposals, the Government presided over a farcical information campaign, and the Government made the decision to hold it on International Women's Day.

Opposition can and will argue that they supported it in principle but accept that the wording was wrong, or whatever other spin they want to put on it.

At the end of the day it's a huge defeat and a very big embarrassment for the Government. It's the Government that has questions to answer, nobody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭briany

The referendum has fa-right connotations in the sense that the Twitter trolls will champion the result as some kind of shift in attitude, although the figures around the vote will tell us that most Irish people weren't bothered to have an opinion, so those trolls would be off the mark. Among those who did have an interest, there seems to have been a big concern about vague wording, so the trolls would be wrong there, too. I have no strong opinion on the questions which were asked, but I don't think it's a bad thing to want to have the questions really boxed off before putting it to the people and leave no doubt about the implications. Leaving things to sort out afterward is just asking for trouble because what if they can't be sorted out? Then, you're just stuck with a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

But they can claim, and are claiming, that they would have run the referenda with different wordings that would have gone down much better with the electorate. Not sure I agree but it's a tenable position...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Do you mean that "people confused" in the sense that they have got things wrong, or does "confused" actually mean that they can tell that the proposed wording was unclear and confused?

If the latter, that's a bloody good reason for voting no, isn't it?

Your reason for voting "no" based on what other countries would think of us is strange (and IMO wrong, having listened to the BBC coverage this morning).

Yes the government made a pig's ear of the wording. That is a very good reason for voting no, and all the more so as nobody has been able to point out a single negative consequence in people's real lives of the current wording.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Augme

The word woman isn't defined in the Constitution so the legislature can already define what it means. Amd in a sense they have, legilsation already allows for people born male to legally identify as a woman. They will be viewed as woman under the Constitution.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

'It also blows out of the water this back-slapping of the last few years that we are so forward-thinking and progressive and that the old conservative Ireland is gone. it hasn't gone away. This is still a deeply conservative country.'

Of course you'll be aware there are sizeable numbers who are fine with that, and as entitled to that belief as you in yours

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭bloopy

Some of the percentage no votes in some areas are jaw dropping.

Up near 90% for some stations.

No fear they'd put that before the people in a referendum!! We don't need the Constitution to define the word woman, much like we don't need the Constitution to define the word home, a woman is an adult female human being full stop!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

Way hay! Far right mentioned!

Im gonna be bladdered before the rugby starts downing all these “mark it off the bingo card” shots!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭DeadHand

It's good that odious creatures of the sort that gave us such rhetorical horrors as "person with a cervix" were denied access to our constitution.

Well done Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,873 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

• Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭briany

Go back and read the whole post if you're still conscious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

Eoin OBroin waffling on Radio 1 now. Predictably wise after the event.

Where was he yesterday when SF had Yes Yes on their posters? What a sneak.

SF must be kicking themselves that they hadn't the guts to campaign for No

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Spot on.I think we should only be allowed to have policies in this country that gets Paddy a pat on the head from his betters around the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I was originally Yes Yes until I did some reading and watched the debates. I had assumed that the government knew what they were doing. Silly me. I think a lot of people like me changed their mind last week. The government ministers were so clueless and inept with basic questions. They should be highly embarrassed.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Jesus if some of the tallies are to be believed there must be panic in all political parties at this point...will we see some leadership heaves?

Varadkar and McEntee need to be hidden from the public for the foreseeable future, joined by Martin, there's a blood bath coming!!

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭thegame983

I wonder how many gallons of lube for the self congratulatory wankfest that the government had planned for today has now gone to waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭AllForIt

In my view, the government made a pig's ear of the wording

Not sure about that. Is it to suggest that they used the wrong words, should have used alternatives words, like synonyms, but overall effectively meant the same thing.

It is what the words meant that mattered - and what it all meant or could potentially have meant is why the amendments were rejected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 tarvis

What is offensive or sexist about the recognition of women in the home - that is where they are when they are not at work. They have the babies, do the mothering and in the family and/ or in their jobs they do the bulk of the caring in this country. ( I’d take the neglect bit out tho and add partners who also share the load )

Advertisement