Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

March 8th - What’s your vote? **Mod Note In Post #677**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,608 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Eamon Ryan said the government would respect the vote… wow, so good of him. For now!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,958 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Well if all the people coming out of the polling stations say they voted no because the new wording wasn't good enough then the democratic thing to do is to run with better wording.

Very few people straight up saying they like the constitution as it is.

• The Boards.ie “pale make stake” cohort are essentially misogynistic at heart, though probably not consciously so, as they completely misinterpret that a lot of posters appear to be make by virtue of their username, phraseology and opinions. Very presumptive of what women are at heart. Completely backward men themselves. One reason I have my own picture on profile, I’m proud to assert myself as a feminine appearing female poster often with what are considered male traits. I don’t fit stereotypes.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Voting NO for both

The talk of confusion is laughable when many Yes voters were clearly confused about the Care referendum in particular.

They kept banging on about it being great to get rid of the "sexist language" about mothers, but totally ignored or didn't understand the wide ranging implications of the new wording placing the responsibility for care firmly on the family and letting the state off the hook.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,525 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Voting NO for both

Sinn Fein should really stfu right now, they backed this to the hilt...

Sinn Fein TD Maurice Quinlivan has called for Minister Roderic O'Gorman to resign over his handling of the Government's referendum campaign.

Speaking in Limerick, Mr Quinlivan said: "This has been a catastrophic failure by Government who, in their arrogance, listened to nobody."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,123 ✭✭✭bigroad

Donegal vote 10 to 1 no vote ,great stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Voting NO for both

Typical SF, they're like a scrap of tissue paper going whichever way the winds blows

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭tom23

Voting NO for both

sinn fein the town clock a face for every hour. I’d wish they would **** off aswell.

Shower a chancers. They want a rerun. As always, speaking out both sides a mouth, and fence sitting

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Voting NO for both

Those far right, ignorant, confused, old, catholic, white, especially those men !!!, tax payers, parents, women, carers, who voted no.

How dare they !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭calculator

Not a fan at all but when I heard him speak he was calm, measured, logical and wasn't coming across as biased in any way. His concerns were very reasonable.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Mod

AMKC thread banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Voting NO for both

I'll be happy to see both of these amendments fail. Particularly relieved the Care one is gone.

But for me, it's a very disheartening experience to see the politicians across the board so out of touch with people's views. Anyone on talking about misinformation, confusion, or far-right influence today is just putting the final nail in the coffin of any respect I could ever have for them or the party they represent. Such arrogance and downright disdain for voters.

Where do we go from here? I'm not represented by any of the voices who advocated NoNo - I'm never going to vote for Aontu or the Irish Freedom Party (and variations of same), or anyone connected to Iona and the like. I never liked Michael McDowell or his economic policies. We have been badly let down by all the mainstream parties, and indeed the left alliance parties too. It's a depressing situation as we look to the future.

Listening to SF here on radio. The thoughts a having these in power is scary..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,387 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Voting NO for both

They are talking about confusion because they cannot publicly admit why both referendums failed. They both failed because a combined majority did not want to change or rejected the proposed change.

The scale of no in some boxes though goes well beyond the issue at hand. You'll also not get "yes" campaigners acknowledge that no also represented a sizable rejection of the political mainstream.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Voting NO for both

Leo will get so cross he'll have to invite Justin Trudeau over for a conversation about socks.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,419 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Voting YES for both

It's not a false claim. The treaty we voted on in Lisbon 2 was identical to Lisbon 1. The only thing was different was the campaign and the inclusion some non binding assurances to assuage some of the fears that were never really valid in the first place.

But it's interesting that when it's pointed out that the fears were overblown by the no to Lisbon 1 campaign never materialised post Lisbon 2, the argument changes to 'but it was a different question' while at the same time Lisbon is routinely used as an example of us being to told and revote until we give the 'right' answer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Abstaining

BoyleSports offered 1/2 yesterday for both referendums to be No/No. Insane odds for what transpired.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,374 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Voting NO for both

It was always going to be the public's fault. Just too stupid to understand.

Post edited by lawred2 on

McDowell on now talking sense and logic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,390 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Voting NO for both

This is what happens when politicians & NG-no’s attempt to intimidate, browbeat and mislead citizens…..

citizens tell them to go take a running jump.

democracy…. 💚🤍🧡

• Registered Users Posts: 22,419 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Voting YES for both

The AG said that the referendum would likely have increased the states obligation to support carers, so good to see you disproving that you understood the referendum while laughing at the idea that people came out and openly said they were confused by it (which lots and lots of people did, including on this thread)

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

McDowell: if it ain’t broken don’t fix it. This pretty much nails this mess that was put to us..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

Voting NO for both

Durable relationships me hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Voting NO for both

NO NO,

NO NO NO NO,

NO NO NO NO,

NO NO THERE'S NO LIMIT.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,409 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Voting NO for both

yes everywhere except the minds of No voters!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,274 ✭✭✭archfi

Voting NO for both

Very happy it is looking like a resounding No-No for two of the most idiotic, virtue signalling constitutional amendments put before the people of Ireland in my lifetime.

Where now for Varadkar and FG? He's never been a vote winner for that party so why is he still their leader? As for the supposed second in line McEntee, well that performance on tv a few nights ago nevermind her abject failure as Justice minister should see the end of her (but it won't)

The Greens O'Gorman should immediately resign (he won't) as should Catherine Martin a week or two ago for her complete failure on RTE and her doubling down on lying in this referendum. These are ideologues and their politicking is at the level of parish council.

As for every other Dail party except Aontu, their comments on radio and tv today make a joke of them all - imagine considering themselves serious political parties while campaigning for yes-yes when they do not agree with the wording.

We're extremely, extremely badly served by them all.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Voting NO for both

An obligation he predicted would result in a lot of very vulnerable people having to take court cases to enforce. That's not the positive you are portraying it as!

Also, an obligation on the state to support family care enshrined in the constitution is a step backwards in getting an obligation on the state to support people's right to independent care. In light of Varadkar's comments on care being a family responsibility and not the state's - that's a very serious and significant backwards step.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Voting NO for both

The racists, free market types, snobs and forelock tugging types couldn't muster enough of a turnout and have been strongly defeated.

There was a real working class revolt on these issues, not surprisingly given they had the most to lose but the scale of it was surprising.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Seamus4life

Voting NO for both

I don't remember that option on the ballot? It was yes or no. If they didn't like the wording I'd assume they didn't vote rather than no.

Advertisement