Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,400 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Is Israels "right" to "destroy Hamas" more or less valid than Hamas "right" to "destroy the IDF" on October 7th?

Proportionally, you wouldn't have had to go back far in time prior to October 7th for the cumulative killings and crimes by the IDF to exceed what Hamas did on that day.

The obvious conclusion is that when a person is supporting one as valid, and not the other, then there is obviously some underlying bias there - regardless of how they want to conceal it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭jmreire

One second now, I'm speaking of the past, pre-Oct 7, not the present. When Hamas began stockpiling weapons for future use. If they had been unable to do that, then they would not have been able to attack Israel on the scale that they did on the 7th. Or for that matter the very frequent missile attacks that have been ongoing since 2005.

And they (Hamas) could also salvage some of their own (which have a much higher failure rate than Isreal's) which failed to make it to Israel, but no matter which bombs / missiles are being "repurposed", it's an incredibly risky business.

They had a lot of years to build up whatever stockpile. It doesn't indicate that there wasn't an overall blockade which was detrimental to the general population. What it proves more-so is the ineffectiveness of such blockades. The blockades are, and were, simply a collective punishment and attack on the vulnerable population.

Regardless, there is a much more serious blockade now insofar that aid trucks cannot get in. And the Israelis have caused any potential distribution network to be destroyed. Either by attacking and dismantling agencies like UNRWA or by simply vapourising the infrastructure. People are dying of starvation. Israel are doing it deliberately.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,421 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Is anyone here a citizen of or in an economic cooperation with or in strategic partnership with Iran?

Condemning Iran is patently assumed surely. Chill.

Even if Israel utterly glassed Gaza, Hamas still exists in Qatar, so this guff about Israel having the right to finish the job etc. is meaningless bluster. Hamas won’t be destroyed if Gaza is. So this is not an apt reason not to ceasefire against women and children and half naked hostages waving white flags.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I guess the criticism of both America and Israel is down to the amount of civilians, women's and kids Israel is killing in the pursuit of hamas. Also the ceasefire was successful in actually getting hostages released. But you know that, so I don't know why this has to be repeated.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

The problem for Hamas is that hostages were being taken in Gaza and also in the west bank in larger numbers and faster than they were being released by Israel. The fact that a large number of women and children have been kidnapped from Gaza and have simply disappeared is staggering. Parents have had babies taken away and are simply gone. How can you negotiate with that

To be honest I don't think Bibi is in any hurry to negotiate the hostages back as their plight is the only thing that elicits international sympathy.

There would be less support for the killing wholesale of women and kids just to try to destroy Hamas with no end in sight, if Hamas was not still holding hostages.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,760 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Israel wasn't sealed either on Oct 7th it seems. Someone was asleep at the wheel. And the fact that they had been treating Palestinians like **** for so many years and expected no consequences just shows their arrogance. You reap what you sow and after the atrocities of the IDF it will probably happen again because of the new recruits that either Hamas or whatever new element appears after this will have at their disposal. Rinse and repeat until Israel learns how to treat people.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,760 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

• Advertisement

Have you any proof of those claims, that women have been kidnapped and babies taken away?

UN reports from mid February were publicised detailing the allegations. As well as that there are ongoing allegations from well before October 7th of serious sexual assault including the rape of children held by Israel.

Here is one report on it:

https://www.ohchr.org/en/press-releases/2024/02/israelopt-un-experts-appalled-reported-human-rights-violations-against

Yes 'allegations', what they actually need is proof, just like Israel had when the Palestines invaded, kidnapped, killed and rape. Anyway the UN are biased against Israel even though it created it. The UN was also very slow to criticise the Oct 7th attacks.

So the UN is biased against Israel and is telling lies ... right

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

The experts are part of what is known as the Special Procedures of the Human Rights Council. Special Procedures, the largest body of independent experts in the UN human rights system, is the general name of the Council’s independent fact-finding and monitoring mechanisms. Special Procedures mandate-holders are independent human rights experts appointed by the Human Rights Council to address either specific country situations or thematic issues in all parts of the world. Special Procedures experts work on a voluntary basis; they are not UN staff and do not receive a salary for their work. They are independent of any government or organisation and serve in their individual capacity.

they are all telling lies is it? To what end would they decide to do that? I think on the balance of probability I might decide to listen to what they have to say rather than your feeling that they are making it up

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Toeuptony

• Registered Users Posts: 82,421 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

They didn’t have proof then either?

“Reasonable grounds to believe” is not “proof” either so check your bias.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭JayBee66

Judging by the number of Irish people flying the flag of a nation that has NEVER existed, it would appear that Stockholm Syndrome is an increasing problem in Ireland.

If the Irish want to get involved in the existentialist conflict in the Middle East then remember that one side is more like Ireland than the other. Namely, it was a state that had 2000 years of imperial occupation by 5 successive empires. The other side wants to become an empire that dominates the World. That first state and its people has more in common with Ireland than the second. Unfortunately, the second state is better at propaganda and tapping Stockholm Syndrome in the unwary.

THAT religion doesn't need to become a majority in Ireland before the Irish throw away all they fought for in 1922. Ireland's PR system will have political parties falling over themselves to court the vote of followers of THAT religion. We already see that in one party, led by someone from a family of far-left actors.

The problem with a liberal approach to immigration is that it is self-defeating. The majority of migrants come from illiberal countries and have no wish to become liberal. Migrants raise larger families than liberals. It is obvious what that will lead to. The replacement level will not be met by liberals. The illiberal will be the driving force of Ireland's population growth.

Eventually, all laws will become tainted by the needs of THAT religion so that existing political parties can remain in power. Irish people, who are more susceptible to Stockholm Syndrome, will increasingly side with THAT religion. As some are already doing with their flags.

You can throw the only truly democratic nation in the Middle East to the dogs but that won't keep the dogs at bay. As Putin wants more after Ukraine, THAT religion will want more after the demise of that democratic nation.

Democracy is in decline, throughout the World. Even the EU will become more authoritarian. Probably to guarantee that its liberal madness ensures its own demise.

The various strains of THAT religion will temporarily unite to vote for a single party throughout Europe that satisfies its aims. When those aims are met and there is no opposition then THAT religion will tear itself apart in a final conflict. Europe and the European people will already be no more.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Israel have completed the first step in the process of carving Gaza up. A road has been built across the territory that divides it in two.

Eventually Gaza will go from complete Palestinian control to looking like the West Bank, major population centres will be cut off from each other, movement restricted, walls, trenches, security check points constructed.

The Hamas invasion of Israel has inflicted a catastrophe on Gaza.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,742 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The Palestinians never have had complete control of Gaza. This is a bit like that time when you stated 40,000 Hamas fighters invaded Israel.

The Israeli far right and Likud must be secretly delighted with Hamas . Their vision for Gaza is being implemented.

Post edited by nacho libre on

• Advertisement

Hamas military strength is widely acknowledged at being in the region of 40k fighters.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,742 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

That is correct, but 40,000 did not invade southern Israel, which is what you originally stated . According to most sources it was between 1, 500 and 3,000 that invaded.

I understand the mechanics of the situation very well. But as to it being repetitive, I'm not so sure. Definitely the wish to do it will be there, and of course this is known by Israel, and is expected, and so their attitude seems to be " Sure you will try again, but before you do a repeat, know the price that you will pay. And so now they will make it as high as they possibly can as a deterrent, and this is what we are seeing now.

A life made much worse for Palestinians by Hamas diverting cash meant for the welfare and improvement of Palestinian lives into their (Hamas) pockets. Pre Oct,7, which is the time I'm speaking about.

I thought we have moved away from the "you're all a bunch of anti-Semites" low effort posts but I guess we are not.

So it seems that some of the hostage families have received proof that the hostages are still alive so that does suggest that Hamas is still in control which is depressing. hard to know if it is achievable that Israel can bomb Hamas out of Gaza so I suspect the killing of civilians will continue for a few more months.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/liveblog_entry/families-of-several-dozen-hostages-reportedly-receive-proof-their-loved-ones-are-alive/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,274 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

@Shehal threadbanned

That starting to sound like zionish propaganda and soundbytes jm. Veering in the direction of "UNRWA runs Hamas" territory. How many times can they spend this cash? Presumably if they pay people to build the tunnels, the money is spent. If they wanted to keep it in their pockets, it would seem more logical not to build tunnels or buy rockets. If you want to talk about people profiting off misery, the real money is in massacring Palestinians to steal their property. Nearly three quarters of a million Israelis living in illegally occupied West Bank. Eyes firmly placed on plans to establish similar in Gaza. There's no difference between them and the Russians trying to seize land and property in Crimea or greater Ukraine. Except that the Russians appear to be less murderous against the Ukrainians afterwards and try to assimilate them (even if forcibly).

You are a military man - I could post a video I saw on youtube of IDF soldiers high-fiving each other and laughing as one of them regaled a story of how he had just shot dead an elderly Palestinian man lying face down on the floor of his house, trying to hold his arms up. The video showed the encounter (with the victim blurred). After they finished congratulating the murderer, they went back in and put a load more rounds into the body for the craic. How could someone support that? It's on youtube, but I'd probably get banned for posting it here as there appears to be a bit of a bias against the Palestinians.

Hamas control an investment portfolio worth over $1b. Instead of using this wealth to develop Gaza and improve their lives of their citizens, they used it to fund this devastating war.

That should tell everyone all that they need to know about this group. Even now with Gaza almost completely destroyed and their war almost certainly set to end in defeat, they could call a halt to hostilities.

For the ordinary Gazans this is a terrible tragedy, but for the Hamas leadership in Qatar and Istanbul, I'd say life is fairly cushy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Is this the cash that Israel brought to Hamas in suitcases?

Most aid to Gaza is not cash. It's physical aid.

You can see that being airdropped into Gaza atm, it's food and water, not dollar bills!

• Advertisement

I think the tragedy for the Gazans is that they live under the yoke of two cruel masters, Israel and Hamas. I don't see this changing after this conflict. Israel has dismissed the two state solution and I'm not certain that Israel is close to destroying Hamas. Israel just seem good at killing civilians than Hamas fighters.

Advertisement