Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

England v Ireland. Twickenham. Sat 9th Mar, 16:45. RTE2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,871 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Murray and O'Mahony let us down imho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Jaffa3000

Questionable refereeing was the only reason they weren't in the final; but I digress, quite typical for the arrogant Irish fans these days, you'd think they got past the quarter finals the way they go on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭Shehal

They didn't produce when it matters, they scraped past the 10th ranked team in the world in a QF and still couldn't go on to win a trophy. Ireland did produce when it matters, that's why they'll be back to back 6N winners next week.

That was replying to another comment, keep up. What trophy do you get for getting to a SF? It's hardly much to brag about when it's Fiji you've beaten to get there. And you are on the opposite end of the scale, you're basically saying Ireland had to achieve what no side has EVER done in 6N history otherwise they are bottlers, if these are the standards you are setting then you'll always be disappointed. The reality is Ireland will be back to back 6N winners next week, how that makes them bottlers in you're little world I find astounding.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

You mean the France game from round 1? I thought we played well enough that game but France were about as bad as I can ever remember. Played right into our hands and were down a man.

We haven't been playing badly or anything. I just think we have been leaning heavily on our organisation and structures this tournaments. We got dragged into a game we didn't want to play today and were only just about beaten. I'm sick about it but I could smell it coming over the last few performances.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,640 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Aki was our best player. Murray should have passed it to him to try and get a few forward momentum phases going. He did not have to kick for touch from there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭VayNiice

When it mattered? Losing any match in the 6N has the same consequence. So losing any game makes them bottlers?

They are still top of the table and will more than likely be champions next week.

Go back to the soccer forum

That’s a cop out. We were strong favourites. Winning the 6N next week will be another fine achievement but don’t pretend that there isn’t disappointment with that performance and result today. Codding yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Or the ref decides since you are trying to kill the game that any borderline call will be called against you. Its just as risky not to kick there.

England should have beat us by more. They beat the **** out of our pack generally. It seems a lot to blame that loss on a nine kicking or not kicking.

Agreed. Kicking wasn’t necessarily the wrong thing to do perhaps but kicking from that position was an horrendous mistake. Move it into a better position and then pin them back in their 22 if you’re going to kick it away. We bottled it. No two ways about it. We bottled it which is disappointing because we wont always have the abundance of talent that we currently have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

What are you dribbling about? Who ever said I wasn't disappointed? I'm sick about it.

Yes we were heavy favourites but that's the premise of my post. I think the performances so far have been given too much credit and I thought there was a decent chance today's result could happen.

My last point is aimed at those 'posters' who are not seen from one week to another but come in to bathe in the misery of those who are upset at the loss. They can have their few hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,722 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Ignore the point about the refereeing that gifted them a path to semi final then....Argentina match excepted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭OldRio

I take it this is a piss take Aki was the best Ireland player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,022 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

This is the thing, we'll never have a better opportunity to win a world cup again and nor now will we have a better opportunity to win back to back grand slams again. The opportunities slipping away one by one. We'll look back in a few years with a lot of regrets when our team isn't as good and the other nations get their acts together again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭50HX

On what basis would we not be good enough in years to come.

Have you seen our u20's the past 3 years

The same stuff was said when o connell, o driscoll et all retired

Already been through this but he did miss a tackle on one of the tries that could have been made. He also had one pretty basic error.

People want to drop Murray (i'd agree with this but not for this game) and POM mostly based on one mistake, so... that seems to be the bar. Yes, that does mean we are dropping most of the team which should be fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,300 ✭✭✭tanko

Serial bottlers???? Ireland won a grand Slam last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭OldRio

He was by far the best Ireland player on the field.

As for your deflection about Murray and POM. I see you. I do. Deflection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,300 ✭✭✭tanko

They were terrible but were the likes of Joe McCarthy or Caolan Doris any better, i can’t remember either of them making much of an impact???

Yea but he made a mistake so should be dropped. He's also over thirty.

Have you not been reading the thread?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,605 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Frustrating that England are so consistently able to drag us into **** performances. We should've been expecting them to bring it with their physicality, yet we let them disrupt us. We absolutely missed Ryan today. Needed him to melt the rucks with his clear outs. Henderson is a spent force at this level unfortunately.

Unfortunately I agree. A few residents on the rugby pages here though seem determined to pretend to ignore that. They have done fantastic work in Irish rugby but particularly with the opposition in European rugby below par right now it was a fantastic opportunity to lay down a marker with being the first team to retain the Grand Slam in the 6N era. I think that they will have regrets when they look back but also of course there has been achievements and progress as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭50HX

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Bottled the first fifteen or twenty minutes of last year's world cup quarter final, the biggest and most ring fenced match of the last 4 years.

Murray blew it today with his stupid box kick. When we had control of the ball in the last few minutes and we are going to kick it, why use the shortest kick option available?

Give it to Lowe to launch it downfield and I to the stand. Let England bring it back up error free.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Hesperus

POM is done - not because of one mistake but mainly because there are better choices and is one of the weakest links out there ..imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Sexton got hammered in the press for making a few faces when been taken off. POM now has two yellow cards in important games for no reason. That was absolutely stupid today and not required at all. We had cover and he wasn't saving a try. I will wait for the same outcry for the supporters/media which hammered Sexton but somehow I doubt it will arrive

It was poor from Murray, I wouldn't mind I had just explained earlier in game to GAA fan why they kick, Murray got no distance at a critical time in the game, if he wanted to kick it out then why not give to Crowley/Lowe? It was a poor decision from such an experienced player and Ireland had the man power on at that stage to hold it in the forwards.

Not saying they are the whole reason we lost the game but it didn't help and questions have to be raised over POM with Baird's form

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Stop pretending this Ireland team is judging itself on grand slams. They were building towards the world cup for years and bottled their first half against New Zealand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭dublin49

nothing between the teams,experts will explain why we lost,fxx off, Two top teams goin hell for leather in a topsy turvy match and we missed out by a point,away for home which is huge brave brave effort and we love you guys

Hopefully you’ll be right, no guarantee though that underage players train on. What we do know is that right now Ireland are the most talented side in Europe, so not getting that back to back Grand Slam is disappointing when the talent and opportunity was there.

• Advertisement

They lost by 4 points, get over yourself. If any other side the way Ireland lost that match they wouldn't be called bottler, its only said of Ireland because for these people its about fitting a narrative. Funny France are never labelled as bottlers when they fit the bill far more.

Ireland record at bringing u20 into senior is very good when you look at other teams across Europe, Wales been very poor at it. I would suggest the majority of the u20 will make senior teams in provinces and then up to them to progress

We certainly need more wingers

That's never going to happen. This is just the typical Irish inferiority complex at work, Ireland are still comfortably top dogs and will remain there for the foreseeable future.

The POM yellow card was way too obvious but he was in that position where he had to make a cover tackle and then try to slow ball because lowe missed a tackle leading to the clean break.

THey can walk away with the 6 nations next week, nothing to be sniffed at. A grand Slam is great but exceptionally hard to win and even harder back to back

Nonsense, he made the tackle and the backup players had come back. He had no reason to give away a penalty or a yellow card.

It was stupid and cost Ireland a try in the end. The 10 mins without him or Baird was a massive disadvantage as well in a game Ireland was already struggling in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭ujjjjjjjjj

Well that was a depressing watch and yes the forum tonight is just Murray this and POM that and sure yes big mistakes they made......but Baird should have been on at 45 mins for POM and that is on the mgmt and Murray is done and Casey or other options are worth the gamble. Crowley has entirely changed our attacking shape, he just seems incapable of taking it to the line and plays so sideways , he folded today under the quick line speed and bar his kicking was a disaster offensively and defensively, some of his tackling was atrocious. Farrell seems to have gone all in on him and finally 6:2 caught us out today....again not a POM or Murray issue.

Sometimes you just have to say de management made a few clangers....

Disappointed.

We needed to find a way to win. If a ref gives a dodgy call that can’t be helped, kicking the ball away cheaply instead of creating the opportunity to maybe get it kicked down the field into the English 22 if possible could have been done. I think we panicked at the end there.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭roverjoyce

Record is atrocious at bringing them through

Most will be stuck in a Leinster 3rd team

Look at England today

Martin, Chessum, Cunningham Waboso all playing because of getting club games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,605 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Frustrating that England are so consistently able to drag us into **** performances. We should've been expecting them to bring it with their physicality, yet we let them disrupt us. We absolutely missed Ryan today. Needed him to melt the rucks with his clear outs. Henderson is a spent force at this level unfortunately.

Murry has spent the majority of his career box kicking, when the pressure comes on he reverts to that position. It made no sense in that situation to box kick. We had rolled on 6 new forward and all capable of holding onto the ball. Then when you consider the issues at lineout it wasn;t as if we could win the ball at lineout. Our best chance was always to hold onto the ball.

• Advertisement

The problem to me is that they were able to get it wide and then get a ton of territory down that channel. I'm not sure why that happened but i'd blame that way more than the kick. We should be able to defend the 10m line all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Eibhir

Losing to the Scots by 7 or less and being handed the Championship.. God I can't imagine a more hollow victory.

We have to respect Scotland, they may have lost to Italy but they beat England. Top teams are made by the respect they give every opponent. I don't doubt Andy Farrell or the team. But former players shouldn't be so loose tongued.

We've only won 15 times in Twickenham since 1875. 149 years ago. Roughly 15/68 or so taking the wars into account. That's less than a 25% success rate. I know a different team etc, but I'm a firm believer in humility in sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Seadin

I don't think its as easy to diagnose as you think to tell immediately after sprinting after someone to cover a linebreak, make a tackle and then immediately know how much you should be trying to slow the ball down. Its a lot trickier spot than you think it is. Also, its weird that ZERO blame is on the missed tackle there.

It's hard to make that call. I agree re. opportunities missed. But the underage going so well may mean we stay near the top of pile. Hope so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,331 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

was it arrogance or bottle that did us in today?

like, england were always gonna come out swinging. and it seemed like we were ill prepared for that, or maybe we were prepared but couldn't deliver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,022 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Yeah but they just got comprehensively beaten by a not very good England team. That's the reality. No sugar coating it. I know the scoreboard says 1 point but that's not the story of the game I saw. England should have won that game much more comfortably. They left 10 points behind in the first half.

I'm sure we'll pick ourselves up for a good result next week and maybe today is a blessing in disguise in that we'll have less mindless arrogance from certain quarters and more honest appraisal of the team weaknesses and the players that need to be managed out of this team.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 SPC1759

Ireland lost for various reasons. Many were unavoidable because England played better than expected in crucial moments. Others were avoidable, such as Murray kicking away possession when another minute of going through the phases could have seen us home. I feel much worse about the latter than the former.

I think it's probably a good thing the Scots were beat. I wouldn't like to face them with their tails up having put 50 points on Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭typhoony

I was surprised that there was no review of the hit on Furlong, my initial reaction was there had been an illegal contact. Some odd goings on with TMOs over the last couple of years and what they will review or what they have been fed to review We don't know what angle he was given if any at all

• Advertisement
Advertisement