Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

England v Ireland. Twickenham. Sat 9th Mar, 16:45. RTE2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭ujjjjjjjjj

Well that was a depressing watch and yes the forum tonight is just Murray this and POM that and sure yes big mistakes they made......but Baird should have been on at 45 mins for POM and that is on the mgmt and Murray is done and Casey or other options are worth the gamble. Crowley has entirely changed our attacking shape, he just seems incapable of taking it to the line and plays so sideways , he folded today under the quick line speed and bar his kicking was a disaster offensively and defensively, some of his tackling was atrocious. Farrell seems to have gone all in on him and finally 6:2 caught us out today....again not a POM or Murray issue.

Sometimes you just have to say de management made a few clangers....

Disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

We needed to find a way to win. If a ref gives a dodgy call that can’t be helped, kicking the ball away cheaply instead of creating the opportunity to maybe get it kicked down the field into the English 22 if possible could have been done. I think we panicked at the end there.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭roverjoyce

Record is atrocious at bringing them through

Most will be stuck in a Leinster 3rd team

Look at England today

Martin, Chessum, Cunningham Waboso all playing because of getting club games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Frustrating that England are so consistently able to drag us into **** performances. We should've been expecting them to bring it with their physicality, yet we let them disrupt us. We absolutely missed Ryan today. Needed him to melt the rucks with his clear outs. Henderson is a spent force at this level unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Murry has spent the majority of his career box kicking, when the pressure comes on he reverts to that position. It made no sense in that situation to box kick. We had rolled on 6 new forward and all capable of holding onto the ball. Then when you consider the issues at lineout it wasn;t as if we could win the ball at lineout. Our best chance was always to hold onto the ball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

The problem to me is that they were able to get it wide and then get a ton of territory down that channel. I'm not sure why that happened but i'd blame that way more than the kick. We should be able to defend the 10m line all day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭Seadin

I don't think its as easy to diagnose as you think to tell immediately after sprinting after someone to cover a linebreak, make a tackle and then immediately know how much you should be trying to slow the ball down. Its a lot trickier spot than you think it is. Also, its weird that ZERO blame is on the missed tackle there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,147 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

was it arrogance or bottle that did us in today?

like, england were always gonna come out swinging. and it seemed like we were ill prepared for that, or maybe we were prepared but couldn't deliver.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,866 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Yeah but they just got comprehensively beaten by a not very good England team. That's the reality. No sugar coating it. I know the scoreboard says 1 point but that's not the story of the game I saw. England should have won that game much more comfortably. They left 10 points behind in the first half.

I'm sure we'll pick ourselves up for a good result next week and maybe today is a blessing in disguise in that we'll have less mindless arrogance from certain quarters and more honest appraisal of the team weaknesses and the players that need to be managed out of this team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 SPC1759

Ireland lost for various reasons. Many were unavoidable because England played better than expected in crucial moments. Others were avoidable, such as Murray kicking away possession when another minute of going through the phases could have seen us home. I feel much worse about the latter than the former.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭typhoony

I was surprised that there was no review of the hit on Furlong, my initial reaction was there had been an illegal contact. Some odd goings on with TMOs over the last couple of years and what they will review or what they have been fed to review We don't know what angle he was given if any at all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Shehal

That's taking a subjective view and making an objective fact. The fact is it was 1 point loss, it doesnt matter if you dominant if you cant put points on the board.

The fact we are reacting like this after 1 loss shows why Ireland are the dominant force in the NH and likely will remain so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Isn't it possible that England didn't allow us to play our game? I mean, the amount of blasé comments about us being slightly off is bizarre. We're not as good as a lot of people think we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

I agree. We needed a bit of leadership there. Someone to tell Murray this is not a box kick moment. Despite the poor performance we had it there in the end but he really messed up and there’s no getting away from it no matter how hard some people appear to be trying.

It is very easy, he is captain, he made a good tackle and then a stupid decision which cost the team both a try and a player for 10 mins.

Did it cost Ireland the game? we have no way of knowing without a time machine but it was silly from POM

No Lowe has nothing to do with POM reaction after his mistake, but guess what player miss tackles. That doesn't mean players need to give away needless yellow cards. But I see the direction you are going so leave you to it.

English fans already online saying that Furlong was play acting and it was a soccer player reaction...make of it waht you want but to me in real time he was clearly hit straight on head and looking at the replay it would seem to suggest the same.

Yea the direction im going is a mistake is a mistake. If we are going to hyper focus on a back row making a mistake on when to slow ball, which also happens all the time.. then any other mistake including missed tackles can also be focused on.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,866 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

It's a fair point and maybe we will continue being at or near the top but you can't deny that we are at our best ever at a time when England, France and Wales have been pretty dismal. That's not going to last forever.

I'm just disappointed with the lost opportunities.

• Advertisement

Huge difference between slowing the ball which player do and can give away a penalty and what POM done which was a blatant yellow card.

You are trying to deflect by saying it is slowing the ball or talking about Lowe which is nonsense.

I dont recall France being dismal in 2022 & 2023 and Ireland were still better. I dont see why it would end, we have a great squad with great talent coming through and our continued success at u20 level shows this trend isnt stopping!

That's why I posted they can, of course they have to win it and it's a huge disappointment to not win today but they need to pick themselves up and beat Scotland. Been the best team in the competition and winning nothing would be a disaster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

It's a good run, no doubt. But England had a similar run a few years back and collapsed. I think they went 17 for 20.

The point I am trying to make, is we're a good side and will win the championship. But I wouldn't say that we're the best side in the world.

To befair, I expected a win today. I thought at least a 10 point win so, I'm guilty of being probably being a fan boy. Disappointed that we didn't repeat the grand slam.

The idea that its 'deflecting' to say the guy who missed the tackle is also a contributor to that situation should make you wonder if you are biased.

For the record, i doubt he meant to make it look so blatant.

England have some class players, they had a game at home, huge crowd and against the plucky Irish who think they are the best team in the World. Whats not to get them all riled up about that?

Let's see what they do next week?

Ireland of course had prepared for that, if anything we know Farrell and co are ready, but it didn't work out and stillw Ireland could and maybe should have won the game.

Advertisement