Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

March 8th - What’s your vote? **Mod Note In Post #677**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Hobby farmer

McDowell alluded to the fact that the Attorney Generals advice wasn't heeded on the potential issues with these changes. I have to wonder why and why the government would push on with the referendum?

Its a massive embarrassment for them and let's be honest it's two fingers from the electorate who are sick to death of them making a mess of everything they touch.

However I thinks it's a even bigger embarrassment for the opposition who would have gleefully rode the wave of a Yes vote, now scrambling to distance themselves and deflect blame.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Voting NO for both

Wonder if they started taking the same number of IPA’s (as small towns or other parts of the country) would the optics change

• Registered Users Posts: 13,437 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

I am voting YES (family amendment)

Looks like it's all for Peadar T ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,775 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Voting YES for both

A few other loopers turned up including Andy (beats women, drug dealer and his kids have a barring order) Heasman and Dee Wall. Both on disability while journeying around the country annoying people, letches the both of them.

• Advertisement

Tossers! At least Peadar deserves some bit of a day out on this, unlike those thugs .

Do you think they got to drink all the champers as well , on us ?

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Repo101

Voting NO for both

Yeah, Marie Sherlock made an absolute fool of herself on RTE, par for the course for Labour. Sinn Fein look incredibly foolish and out of touch. The Social Democrats disappeared off the face of the earth today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭tom23

Voting NO for both

ah heaseman citizen journalist. Absolute knuckle dragger.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,775 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Voting YES for both

Not someone I would vote for personally, but at least Peadar has got some kind of a mandate (unlike another fecking "citizen" journalist), he spoke well and was consistent.

Ha I doubt much champers about the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,614 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The fact those dregs are celebrating is pretty hilarious tbf. They seem to think they actually represent the majority again.

Not sure how much traction that lots proposed referendum on immigration will go.

• Advertisement

Only saw Ryan and Leo out... rest at home hiding .

Greens will be gone after this government.

But don't kid yourself all those young enough in FFG will be back again 4.5 years time . People will forget , move on and hate whomever replaced them so much it'll be "time for a change " yet again .

Yea not a fan but at least he's fairly predictable..and law abiding .

Those other two should be banned from public places.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

A massive cull needed in government and a fish rots from the head down.

A general election is needed badly

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Voting NO for both

Looking at the near 90% No vote in Ballyfermot, a strong SF area. The SF Rep there has been loohlah obsessed with Gaza since the 7th of October.

Whatever you think of it over there, it isn't the be all of Life in Ireland or Ballyer.

A move to listening to people, even working class people, and not being always on trend might be needed for SF as well.

The egg is on a lot of faces.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭jackboy

Pretty much all parties campaigned for Yes. An election will achieve nothing, the same parties will be in power afterwards, there is no alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Hobby farmer

Unfortunately, you are spot on. I'm only a casual observer of politics and that's exactly how I feel. On the face of it I see very little tangible difference in any of the main parties.

Sinn Fein try to sound like an alternative but I think a blind man could see that they are nothing more than a populist empty vessel.

The future is bleak.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,263 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I agree with everything you wrote until the last sentence.

"the future is bleak"? come on, you live in one of the richest countries in the world, bleak is living in north korea, Russia, not Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Voting NO for both

The scenes from Dublin Castle are utterly depressing. Fair play to Toibin and McDowell - they deserve to celebrate today, but neither could represent the majority really. But the fringe lunatics and scumbags out celebrating as if they have the people's support is a sad sight. The majority of voters left with nobody in politics to represent their views.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭Genghis

Voting NO for both

Interesting stat: the care referendum was the highest no vote in any referendum, the family referendum was the third highest. Over 1m people voted no to each amendment.

I think these stats, plus the ratios at play (3:1 and 2:1 No:Yes) puts to bed any talk of the no "minority" simply being more motivated than the yes "majority" who stayed at home, and that the result is somehow not representative of the public's views.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭Archduke Franz Ferdinand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Voting NO for both

It will have to be forced on them. They won't do it otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Roald Dahl

Voting NO for both

Michael McDowell has been extremely prominent during this fiasco. And I am liking the cut of his jib.

Maybe it's only me, but I am convinced that the country is screaming out for a sane centre-right voice.

When I look at all the dandy playboys with their ultimate sights on a succulent, tax-free IGO gig and then the whole gamut of indolent, underworked, overindulged, entitled, workshy loafer malcontents that will be making up the next ballot paper at the next general paper...

McDowell all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭tom23

Voting NO for both

nah had enough of him during his time with the PD’s. Though do appreciate his role in this referendum which has been epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,954 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

44%

Everyone was saying around 40% so what narrative ?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Voting NO for both

That's a soundbite, not reality for many people.

The country being "rich" because of massively skewed GDP figures doesn't tally when a recent report said adults are reducing their own food intake so their children don't go without. It doesn't tally with people being stuck at home or unable to afford to buy a home of their own. It doesn't tally with not being able to get to see a GP when they need to, or spending hours on a trolley in A&E (having spent hours before that sitting in the waiting room if not critical).

We may not be North Korea or Russia, but then we don't claim to be a 3rd world or dictatorship either. If we're going to compare ourselves to anything, try other first-world modern republics and democracies.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭DaithiMa

Voting NO for both

The inability of Labour and Sinn Fein to see the potential political capital they could gain by being opposition parties and actually opposing these idiotic referendums says a lot about the calibre of politicians we have in this country. How thick are they? In some Sinn Fein and what once were Labour strongholds the no vote was over 80% for at least one of the amendments and at least over 70% for both.

If ever there was a day that proved that no matter who gets voted into government they would serve up the same old sh1te, this was it. I could never vote for any of the current major parties on both sides of the house after watching this debacle unfold. Idiots the whole lot of them.

The majority of the population are still going on foreign holidays, out at weekends in restaurants, pubs, gigs, buying new electric cars, etc etc only a tiny minority are reducing their intake of food, also no one needs to do that in Ireland, st vincent de paul and numerous other charities wont see anyone go hungry.

unemployed in Ireland? the Government will more or less pay you to go study for a few years in college, same for helping you start a business. you wouldnt get that help in most other countries.

as someone said on radio lately, the Irish are like the French now, we live in heaven but we think we live in hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,602 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The whole fooking lotta them at the exact same. A fooking danger to democracy these lot

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Repo101

Voting NO for both

Massive housing crisis, failing health service, can't get a GP appointment for weeks, working people unable to have kids due to affordability, a government more interested in NGO group-think and soundbites than actually doing or achieving anything, houses being thrown up in areas with no GP or school places, a disgraceful special needs system for children, complete mismanagement of services and developing the economy, we can't service the people who are here and the government is spending millions on economic migrants welcoming them with open arms. Sure tis grand, isn't it?

• Advertisement

You seem to focus on the negative, what about all the positives of living in Ireland?

plenty of working people still having kids.

houses there to be bought if you work hard and use your head and leave Dublin.

Advertisement