Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

England v Ireland. Twickenham. Sat 9th Mar, 16:45. RTE2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Piskin

Beyond stupid at this level and his experience. Murray had a brain fart when it matters most. Time to get a young team together, may be down for a few years but it has to be built. Bring in foreign coaches to try and get into the Irish players heads to make them have more composure under pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Piskin

France have been in Finals we cannot get past the 1/4 final in 10 attempts. The SA v France in last year's WC was one hell of a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I look at whats available to the coaches. Looking at England, it's looking to me like there's a few diamonds coming through. It will take time and it will take some bedding in.I would think England will be a vastly improved team next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,914 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

It took our worst game in a few years and England performing well above what they have shown in several years for them to beat us. In truth, that isn't a bad position for us. If we played again tomorrow, I'd have no doubt Ireland would win.

We will almost certainly put together back to back 6N championships, good chance we make it 3 in a row next year with France and England coming to Dublin. We are in a much better place than England despite todays result.

For me, the turning point was the penalty which Earl won despite never releasing, that gave them field position in our half when we should have been close to their line. It was unforgivable from the ref, it was clear as day.

Fact is, England are where we were 20 years ago, celebrating a plucky late win against perceived wisdom, in a game that ultimately doesn't matter. That is not a good place to be at. We have moved past that. Our lads will receive their medals next weekend as the best team this year and the records will show the same.

We'll see how England get on against France next week. Don't be surprised if they lose and we have clowns here telling us that Ireland are shıte because we couldn't beat England, who are also shıte because they couldn't beat France, who are also shıte because they lost to us. The same clowns will have told us that winning the competition (a la SA) is all that matters, but yet Ireland winning the 6N doesn't actually matter...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭ersatz

A few points. England even when hey aren't great always show up for Ireland. Last year is a good example, a poor English team got the worst possible start in a red card and still stuck with us until the last quarter. They didn't play as well as todays team but they didn't roll over. Wales similarly often outdo themselves against us. NZ over the last few years also bring their best to our matches, like the 1/4 final where they played heir best rugby for years. I don't know what it is but Ireland bring out the best in good teams and when that coincides with us playing poorly we suffer.

I find it hard to look to the ref for significant contributions today, Ireland finding themselves tackled behind he gainline for most of the match was a much bigger issue than decisions the went one way rather than another. A number of Irish players/coaches made too many bad decisions, POM, Beirne (the penalty at the death that led to the drop goal), Murray's box kick (along with several of his earlier box kicks, did we regather any?), Crowley crabbing across the field, Doris' breakdown ordinariness, the subs lack of impact, 6/2 didn't work and caused many of our problems, the line out was meh again, we gave up scrum penalties early in he match, and probably most surprising was the absence of leadership on the field. Taking 3 points before half time had a certain appealing logic, but going for the corner was also a chance to end the half emphatically. It was also different to how Ireland normally approach those opportunities. Agains the ABs we'd have gone to the corner.

I don't think that England are where we were 20 years ago, they've improved over the competition, they're instituting a new defensive strategy and they showed today they have a backline in the making that is very impressive. They have a clear trajectory of improvement in front of them and the players to make it happen. There are gaps, ltheir front row subs aren't the future. But Ireland also have some serious succession challenges and England deifinitely showed today how to beat us, as the ABs did.

Post edited by ersatz on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

In fairness to Beirne that was never a penalty.

He was on that before they formed a ruck. It should have been a penalty to us and then back to their first penalty which was a much tougher kick.

I wouldn't blame the ref either but we did get the wrong side of a few borderline breakdown calls. Henderson got pinged for a very tough one previously as well where he had zero chance to roll and the ball was placed behind him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭ersatz

Yeah, I thought Beirne looked to have won that fairly but the ref gave him plenty of notice and an Irish player was slapping him to release. Maybe he didn’t hear but still, on the line it’s a basic error.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Oh i never realized someone was slapping him. Yea that is an error.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,535 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

There are some who will try to explain it away with stuff like; “the ref wouldn’t let us stuff it up the jumper from there…..etc”. The truth is it’s an inexplicable mistake from an experienced player like Conor Murray and a very disappointing way for him to probably end his international career.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,535 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

A call wasn’t made is the point.

What happened was the possession was kicked away poorly to England in panic.

There were options like recycle the play for another phase or two and then kick deeper in to the English half of the field if necessary. We just panicked.

It’s disappointing because this Irish rugby team don’t usually panic. That yesterday though, despite not being at our best, when the crucial moment came the game was in our hands.

To lose it from that point is terribly disappointing, and not at all acceptable given the work that’s put in and the standards that are generally displayed by this team.

You need to suck it up as you say yourself and stop making excuses for what happened at the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Seen image already asking why Smith took the drop goal when they already had penalty advantage and another try would give them the bonus try and extra point to win the championship

When you consider Ireland slogging it v Wales and last min to get bonus it is valid point

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭riddles

Two finals v La Rochelle - WC v NZ - yesterday v England all tight games from the outset Leinster / Ireland favoured to win.

Did well to be in the position they were in or lacking the raw power to clinch the arm wrestle?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,914 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Well if you look 20 years ago;

in 2003, Ireland beat France (2002 6N champions) but didn't win the tournament

in 2004, Ireland beat England (2003 6N & WC champions) but didn't win the tournament

in 2005, Ireland beat England again but didn't win the tournament

So yeah, 20 years ago, Ireland were pulling off a big victory each year but ultimately failing to win anything. That's what England have done here. Assuming Ireland get a BP against Scotland, we'll have won the tournament which is far better than playing above yourself for one game (where they also had advantages like being at home and having been written off by the media).

I'm not sure they have a clear trajectory of improvement, they lost to a poor Scottish side in their previous game and scraped past a crap Wales before that. We'll have to see how England get on in France next week, can they bring that level of performance again? From where we stand right now, it looks like yesterday was a perfect storm for them.

Despite yesterday's result, Ireland are still in a much better place than England.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭Shehal

I'm still waiting for this evidence that show Ireland are overachieving.

How many of THIS French tam have been in finals? It doesn't matter if previous French teams have been to finals, bottling is still bottling.

Yeah but they lost in that QF v SA, that just proves they are a bunch of losers...that's the narrative Ireland have had created for them, if you want to use it then at least be consistent as all you do is damage you're credibility.

Were about to win our 2nd straight 6N and England will win nothing, what does that tell you about who's good enough. England did better because they got to play Fiji in a QF whereas Ireland had to play NZL, they wouldnt have because they didnt have to beat a team ranked above 7th in the world to reach that SF and as soon as they had to play a good side they lost. You're narrative seems to be that Ireland have to win every single game they play otherwise they are bottlers, if that's the expectations you've set well it just shows how little you know about rugby, another GAA head I'm guessing?

Ireland's odds of winning the championship are 99% according to the odds.

We have got it done, we're about to win 2 championships in a row. You are basically calling this team a bottle for failing to achieve what no side has ever achieved in 6N history (i.e even England WC winning side or any of those great French teams in the 2000s). There's no mental fragility, we just had a poor performance and lost, literally every other side has had that and dont get labelled bottlers for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

a selection of pregame pundit comments. This is why a lot of us dislike Irish rugby.

I guess this show's that one result/performance doesn't define how good or bad a side is. At the end of the day Ireland will still be back to back champion's which should tell us who the dominant force is in NH rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭threeball

The reality is that most of the 6N teams are at a low ebb. Wales are a shambles and could well be beaten by Italy next week to take the wooden spoon, Scotland and France aren't much better at the moment. England were pretty appalling up to yesterday. They put in one decent shift and they absolutely dominated us for the vast majority of the game. The two tries we got were completely against the run of play. Even NZ aren't anywhere near the force they were.

If people want to claim that this is the greatest Irish team ever then those facts need to be taken in to account and losing to teams with that form when there's history on the line, calls the whole narrative in to question. The rugby team gets a pass in this country regardless of the result. They are never held to standard that other teams are. There's always an excuse.

• Advertisement

They seem at a low ebb compared to how high Ireland are.

The fact's are Ireland have won 20 from 22 games and will be back to back champions this time next week, there was no history on the line all they will have done is won the back to back championship's yesterday, they still had one game to go afterwards. The narrative seems to be Ireland had to do what no side has ever achieved in the professional era otherwise they are bottlers, on the contrary you seem to holding this Irish side to standards you dont hold other teams to.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,347 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Murray always takes it on himself. Has to be the star.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭threeball

They haven't got it done. They've won nothing. You're assuming they'll beat Scotland. Scotland, rightly, got a pasting from pundits and fans for losing to Italy. There should be the same gap between Ireland and England as there is between Scotland and Italy, yet we still have people like you out making excuses for throwing away a chance that they'll likely never get again.

Yes it's a difficult thing to do but the reality is, the rest of the teams in this year's championship are bang average and we're not supposed to be that. They can't get all the accolades and none of the criticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭OldRio

I must give Jamie George credit. He was having a word with the ref, in a quiet responsible way, throughout the match. Asking for clarification and pointing out one or two issues he had.

Clever.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭OldRio

Murray was not the winning and/or losing the match. But with only 60 seconds left Ireland could and should have gone through one or two phases. The difference between 1 minute and two or three is huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭munster87

Can whoever mentioned ‘bottlers’ take it back before the chap has an aneurysm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

NH rugby and competitions like the 6 nations is a bit like the championship in football, they get to the top flight but rarely do anything there.

rugby being such a minority sport, declaring yourself as a dominant force in NH is pointless. It’s like calling yourself the best Gaelic footballer in Kilkenny. Meaningless really.

I don’t think they are bottlers, a bottler is a team or individual that is capable of going all the way but can’t because of some internal barrier which has nothing to do with the opposition and prevents them from doing so. I don’t think they are capable of going all the way and never have which is why they haven’t achieved anything on the world stage. Ireland is also doing this with a heap of players who are not Irish and have nothing to do with Ireland, they can’t even win when it matters when de facto cheating.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭The Guru 123

Read the last few pages and I’m going to have to call out all the Mayo bashing. I’m not a Mayo man but the lack of respect towards them and their achievements is unfair.

Firstly as a sports team it’s actually a pretty close comparison between the Irish rugby team at the moment and the Mayo team of the last 10 years. And that’s not an insult to either. Both have been excellent sides. And I actually think the 2 sports are pretty similiar in terms of the depth of quality of teams at any one time in that there’s usually maybe 4 top class sides, 4-5 more decent ones and then the rest are with respect, cannon fodder.

Lets look at the evidence to back this up:

Both teams have won trophies in this time. Ireland in the 6 Nations and Mayo the Connacht championship and national league.

Both teams have beaten the best teams in the sport. Ireland have beaten SA and NZ and Mayo have beaten Kerry and Dublin.

Both teams have ultimately failed in their main goal. Mayo haven’t won the All Ireland. I’m not sure what Irelands main goal is, if it’s winning the World Cup or just winning a knockout game in the World Cup but either way they haven’t done it.

This is down to a combination of bad luck, not being good enough and potentially a lack of mental fortitude. It depends on your outlook what weighting you give to each of these three.

I’m going to give one final nod towards Mayo now. They’ve done something Ireland haven’t done. They’ve given their absolute best performances on the biggest days on a few occasions. Let’s be honest, they were never as good a team as Dublin and yet they pushed what most people consider the greatest team of all time to within 1 point on 3 or 4 occasions and to a couple of replays. That’s a serious acheivement.

I know people comparing Ireland to Mayo are meaning it as an insult but it really shouldn’t be.

But in my opinion it actually is a pretty valid comparison.

Advertisement