Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Madeoface

Poor display from Ireland overall. England deserved to win, which is hard to stomach.

I thought Keenan was poor. But POM and Murray were very poor. Insane to kick the ball with 80 seconds to go and not trust the forwards for such a short window. Murray cost us an undeserved victory.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

People who think that a coach would be upset that the ball was kicked in that situation have a flawed understanding of modern rugby.

I honestly think murray has been past it for a while but i would be extremely surprised if farrell is focusing on that in review.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

We definitely could have held onto that ball for another minute or so with the fresh forwards we had on the pitch. 100% the wrong decision to kick it

We could also have given away a penalty.

If you kick it away, all you have to do is make tackles.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,045 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

It wasnt wrong at all. A ref will be all out watching the team leqding trying to close out a game and watching for them to seal off etc at the breakdown. The most important thing to do was keep england as far away from our line as possible. Not keep the ball. Kick leather off ball and trust in your defensive structures.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

The kick execution was terrible, Murray was messing up his kicks repeatedly, not getting sufficient distance on his box kicks. They should ran a few more phases then had Lowe welly the ball deep, to set the defensive line inside the English half and out of range for a penalty kick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Seadin

He should be focusing on it massively if he is serious in taking Ireland to the next level.

Was Lowe near them to kick it. If he wasn't you'd need to go through phases waiting for him which would defeat the purpose.

I would say he will be focusing on how england gained so much ground down the right channel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Downlinz

They weren't that far from the English half to be fair, at some point you have to just acknowledge that the defence from the English lineout a fair distance out was abysmal.

A few extra metres wouldn't have made much a difference because Kelleher and especially Lowe royally fucked up their defensive reads on the return.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,562 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

I think we saw yesterday why the IRFU weren't offering POM a CC. In games like that he goes missing. Happens too many times.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭thamus doku

At some stage Farrell is going to have to build for 2027 , the longer he puts that off the worse for Ireland

i know many won’t agree with me but our age profile is not great. lowe aki and Gibson park will 35 in 2027, that’s 3 of our best players.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭KaneToad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Shehal

They are only the 3 best players to those living in Kiwi land 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

I don't have any issue with Murray's last kick to touch, he should get a roasting for the two extremely poor execution box kicks prior to that which we were very lucky to recover possession from, and absolutely were the wrong percentage play though. We were just extremely lucky that we somehow got back into an OK position, had an OK touch finder, but then we just bled field position in 90 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭JPCN1

Aki will be 37

Murray and O’Mahony 38 and Healy 40.

After Scotland I think we need to move these fellas along. Perhaps Aki one more year but need to blood younger options in proper tests.

They'll gradually be moved on this season, Ireland are in such a rude position that they didn't need to chuck all these guys out and start again, unlike someone like Wales, they can afford to keep the older guys and then gradually bring through the next crop. Baird will likely come in for POM, Casey will likely come in for Murray, Osborne will likely come in for Aki and any number of young LH's will come in for Healy (I'm thinking Milne once he gets a run of games).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

My takes

1. That was way worse a performance than v New Zealand. Although we didn't have much possession, when we did, we kicked it away. Most egregious was just outside their 22, we kicked a high ball. We never backed ourselves to hold on and exert pressure.

2. We don't have many natural leaders in the team. That showed yesterday.

3. We're so reliant on Keenan at 15 that we should think hard about a 6-2 split ever again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,621 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I think this is also an exaggerated view of modern rugby. I've seen plenty of teams 'close out' games in recent seasons with pick and gos, its far from dead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Murray should've been dropped years ago. I think there's a few lads languishing at club level with the talent to be internationals that would've benefited with being in Irish camps. Doak is one that should be invested in, even allowing for a poorer run of form lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭phily2002

Tough day at the office yesterday. I think Will Connors would have been a great option for that type of game.

I think Farrell is doing great but needs to be a bit more ruthless, that loss is on the coaches imo. Conan/Baird should have been on for POM at half time and Hendo for Joe. Baird is the in form back row and ended up playing 11 mins and not touching the ball. We should never have been leading at HT but the coaching staff needed to count their blessings and make changes. Murray is past it and hasn't offered much in a long time but that's again on the coaches.

We should beat Scotland and winning a championship is still a brilliant result. We need a big response next week though. Wasn't good enough yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

3 good points

Total number of Triple Crowns in 15 years

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

I don't care about the loss last night. Same way I didn't care about the wins v France, Italy and Wales. I care about the World Cup. Hopefully it will be the catalyst for Farrell to wield the axe on Healy, POM and Murray. They should have been gone after the World Cup and we've wasted 4 games of development for their replacements, but better late than never I suppose.

Our lineout was an absolute shambles at the World Cup. POC should have been out on his ear after the quarter final loss but he was kept on and our lineout is still an absolute mess so hand him his P45 please. And for the love of god move Porter back to TH. It's been over two years and he still can't scrummage at LH. He's never going to learn so please move him back. Two fixes to our two biggest problems.

After the World Cup I wondered how long it would be before we anointed ourselves the "best team in the World" again, and the answer was a 4 months, which was faster than even I expected. It's embarrassing.

That's just sad, what do you do for the 4 years in-between just whinge?

I don't see Blade getting into the squad. Our misfiring backline at Connacht isn't allowing him to show his qualities. He's also overplaying to compensate for lack of options and mouthing off at referees too much. I really like Blade as a player but he doesn't have the form that gets you selected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Seadin

That poster is 100% correct in everything said.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

Unless England beat France by about 80 points, a LBP will do us next week against Scotland.

Scotland would win the Triple Crown and we'd win the Championship 🏆

Everyone's a winner

• Advertisement

Nah screw them, end the championship on a high is what's best!

Advertisement