Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

online dating

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Bobby_Bolivia

Think I have something to work on before I go back on the apps in a month or two (or whenever).

Once I like someone, based of very little in the early days, I decide I like them and that's that. Regardless of their behaviour, or of new info that comes to light. Like I'll get one or two bits of info early and then I'll fill in the blanks myself around the rest of their personality and character. And even when I'm shown otherwise I ignore it for this false vision I've got in my head.

Like I'm not thinking about are they compatible for me, I'm thinking how can I be more compatible for them. Now it's nice to make an effort to get to know someone and show an early interest in their interests, but at the same time I need to be more of the mentality of "is this person right for me" rather than "they've got x and y trait, therefore they have a,b,c,d,e trait also, they'll do, I want them, how can I get and keep them". What I should be doing is saying "they've got x and y, now I need to find out whether they've got some of a, b, c, d, e also and if they do then we might have something".

When I actually started to think (far too late) about whether the last girl was a good match - well she wasn't. She was a slave to her work (which would only get worse if she moved up the ladder as she aimed to), had awful communication skills, and either didn't have any interest in my interests or didn't make any real effort to learn. I just latched onto in person chemistry and decided that'll do and ran with it, filled in the blanks (wrongly) about the rest of her, and when presented with information that contradicted this vision I built up, I ignored it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Its just so convenient to ghost.

I don't think there are too many people willing to give up the ability to ghost. You'll get the odd person grandstanding and calling out as sh1tty behaviour but is there anyone who doesn't do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,829 ✭✭✭YellowLead

At least you reflect and are self aware which is a big benefit. What you have described is what is human instinct, we are all doing it subconsciously. When you realise, does it mean you won’t make mistakes? No. But it does mean you won’t let things go as long as some other people might and it means you will get over people fast. If you weren’t aware, you’d be putting this girl on a pedestal and chasing her for months and getting upset about it still years later asking why you weren’t enough.

So being aware of our tendencies doesn’t mean we will always see things clearly as we go, but we are more likely to and we are more likely to move on easily from the kind of scenario you have described.

We often fall for an idea of what somebody is like, when there is chemistry and attraction, rather than the full picture. As the full picture begins to reveal itself we can struggle to detonate because we we want to hang on to that earlier feeling.

Also, it does take time to determine compatibility and there’s still nothing wrong with having some hope at the start, but make it measured.

It’s also a problem with online dating, seeing the curated version of somebody. So if you’d worked with this girl you’d just have seen her as a bad communicator who is a slave to her work.

Yes I think it’s common for people to ghost when only chatting before they have met a person, but I don’t think we all routinely do it when actually dating somebody in person.

@BobbyBolivia did you ghost her back or did you let her know you were done?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

And I would add that sometimes a conversation just ends naturally. Its not always ghosting if you never hear from them again.

If I use my last match on Bumble as a reference point. We had a bit of drawn out chat, one date that we seemed to both enjoy and then it just kind of petered out. He didn't seem that interested as the post-date week went on and I was the last person to send a message a wee ago now. Slow fade - yes. Do I feel ghosted ? Not at all.

After a third date I'd be expecting an adult conversation if they wanted to call things off though.

In my experience ghosters tend to pop back up again. Zombieing I believe is the technical term. I'd say at least half of my ghosters have risen from the grave. Either weeks or months later. None of them have acknowledged the ghosting or made even an attempt to explain/apologise.

I believe in second chances in most areas in life. But only when there's accountability, self awareness and a change in behaviour.

Safe to say most of my ghosters are now blocked.

I let her know. Because given she had sent the last message, there was a small chance she could have twisted the ball being in my court, and I wasn't going to give her a chance to say I was the ghoster.

And then I got a reply back from her with heavy "You're not breaking it off with me, I'm breaking it off with you" vibes.

Only 2 things I don't understand, is why she bothered to try and save it 2 weeks ago when she could have just let it die, and why she was so responsive over holidays (it was probably the most we had ever messaged consistently). I won't ever know so won't dwell. Just odd behaviour in general.

Classic case of not knowing what she wants and not being self aware. She liked it IDEA of a relationship- but was not prepared to be in one in reality.

The fact she turned it around on you saying she was the one breaking up is so childish and quite odd, like if she was going to then why didn’t she.

But as you said, no point in ruminating - I’m sure she’s long off that pedestal now and will be seen by you as a lucky escape

Maybe it was me trying to see her when she got back, something which was obviously non casual, which prompted her to freak out/back off. As I had kind of been marching to her drum in terms of meet ups which was fine and she could keep me at arms length. But when I was trying to see her the day she got home that was a more 'relationship-y' type thing to suggest (which was really me trying to see how true what she had said the last time we met was).

But yeah, the response was odd, because why didn't she just end it if that was actually how she was feeling too.

Definitely no pedestal here. I would have been totally miserable if it had made it anywhere, always 2nd guessing things but being breadcrumbed enough to stay, always would have been 2nd choice to a job that literally is her life. So just taking forward a few things to be aware of next time in others, a few behaviours in myself I want to change, and more (if needed) justification for actually listening to my gut when it tells me "something is not right here".

As the old saying goes - If somebody likes you, you'll know. If they don't or aren't sure, you'll be confused. It's nearly always that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 ZMOONY

I'm after getting my hand slapped on an app by an African girl for generalising that most Asian women swiping on the apps are looking for a way out of poverty. Or a better life in general by swiping in Ireland.

Some are looking for real genuine love she says.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭raclle

What the heck are you doing matching with somebody then if you’re just going to bitch? Bit of entertainment? Just ignore profiles you’ve no interest in.

All of these experiences are good, it’s all learning. You learn more with every encounter.

I didn't know the African girl was in Africa when swiping.

And every Asian profile I right swipe on is a match.

African girl only got annoyed because she's doing the same as them. I am curious why they pick Ireland though. English speaking maybe.

Looking back at the conversation, it only went that way because she responded with a one word answer to a question about her country.

she has no interest but she'll keep it going.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

I’m sure your pudding is delightful no matter how you serve it up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

you know instantly they are all fake one word ans & not ans your question u ask them and bad spelling, no showing their face in photos.block & report only way.

Chinese are fake 99%. The rest are kinda 50/50. They will reply. African girl hasn't replied today though so it must not be love for her. She didn't like my logistical questions of how we would turn our budding union into a flower. Seemed like a good topic with a 3986 mile distance.

The last few women I matched with were all visiting from the UK. So it goes like this,

I write as they don't. I get back something like,

Hope you have a lovely weekend (this could be sunday 9pm)

I write again.

I'm visiting my friend/mother. I live in the UK.

I ask how long they are here for or something.

I'm going home tomorrow.

And I do be like to myself wtf are you swiping on here for with a 80Km+ distance setting.

In reality I say something different

And she deletes.

This was last weekend. 2 women.

The other was actually on for continuing the chat but whats the point when you have to get on a plane. All that hassle for 6 months and then you probably get ghosted. No thanks.

I like a bit of a chat from time to time. Even if it doesn't go anywhere though. Yes ultimately I'm looking for something more complete. But if I'm enjoying a chat with someone and they appear to be too. Then I'll just carry it on until it naturally ends.

You see it a lot on profiles actually. Not looking for a pen pal. Totally fine. A focused approach to dating would suit some folks.

But I've had some weird and wonderful conversations that i would've missed had I adopted that strategy.

My longest chat is now four years old... and it's still going to this day. We've only met the one time ☺️

Same as myself. Ive had one as far back as bebo. Nothing new really. See an interesting pic and get chatting about it.

It confuses me when I see profiles like this - wants more kids but also only wants something casual. When are you going to have more - at 50?

• Advertisement

I’m sure he knows. You don’t put ‘something casual’ on a dating profile and not know what that means. He’s invisibly thinking of more kids further down the line, or else he thinks by putting that in there he will look sweet and it will attract more women.

Is that someone you met from a dating App?

I use to love the chats but people ruin them on dating apps. I've maintained chats from elsewhere for a long time.

the African girl came back so I'm chatting to her. But she may be a catfish. And her motives could be sinister. Not sure.

Having to be careful is tiresome.

Oh I see so many late 40/early 50 guys with "wants kids" in their profile. Delighted you lads can sire an heir at any stage of your life. Go you! But it could be off-putting to women past childbearing age.

Have kids and don't want more - this says all you need to know about my family preferences. I'm a 49 year old woman. It's just not an option. Even if I could and wanted them it would feel irresponsible (I know it's technically possible, but it's very rare and not something I could put my body through again)

But wants kids on a guys profile is usually a left for me. It's too vague. Do you want them and can't have them? Do you want them but it's not a deal breaker? If the ultimate goal is a relationship, which it is for me, then this just looks like a future stumbling block. And a huge one at that.

I tend to swipe left on wants kids these days also, I didn’t for a while but now I’m nearly 40 it’s deffo not for me. Which puts most men my own age out of my reach. Hence the dating older because they’ve usually had their kids.

The only way I’d have another would be if somebody could pay for surrogacy and also have enough money so I wouldn’t have to work until the child went to school. Couldn’t be doing 6am starts dropping kid to crèche before doing a hard days work where I need to engage my brain and be waking up several times a night at this age. But stay at home mother situation would be grand…as long as he gave me an allowance. But why would any man be arsed with that!

Yep. Tinder. One of those young lads who set his age to the age range I'm working with, to sneak in and try his luck.

Every now and then I'll entertain one of them, because I'm curious to know what's going on in their heads. All of them have run a mile when I start delving deeper. But this one was very open and happy to answer my probing questions. Very articulate and respectful. I like when people surprise me.

And the ‘looking for new friends’ people on tinder can feck off too - it’s a dating app FFS!

I like this to.

I've asked this girl about poverty, religion, schooling. And nudes because of something she said. She's sticking with it. Usually everyone would have unmatched me by now.

I have no idea what people start out chatting about on the apps.

That does sound like a lot of work, compromise and cold hard cash for everyone concerned 😆

I guess that situation could work in a relationship that developed from a friendship. If both of you were smitten enough. But an OD relationship, where a lot of preferences are made known quite early on ? You'd have just gone your separate ways by then.

I wonder if the increasing number of prompts and preferences is actually decreasing our options. You'd never ask a guy on a first date if he wants kids, but now the info is served up before you've even spoken to each other. I get that it should mean you get more compatible matches, quality over quantity. Doesn't feel like it's working in our favour though. All very binary. Like a big old game of Guess Who !

Wants kids ? Flick them down. Something casual? Down you go! (Dirty double meaning fully intentional)

• Advertisement

Ah sure if the conversation is enjoyable, keep going. It may not end up going anywhere. But sounds like you're learning things and excercising the ol' chat muscles in the process.

If it turns dodgy just bring it to a swift close and walk away unscathed. Might feel like a waste of time, but unless you would have used that time to solve world hunger or save the planet, its not a big deal.

Advertisement