Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Referendum on Gender Equality (THREADBANS IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

What framework do you use to determine whether an impact is positive or negative and do you have percentages that you use to make up these conclusions?

IE you determine a change as a result of voting yes to a particular amendment leads to a (defined by you) positive impact on 5 percent of the population but has a negative impact (defined by you) on another 6 percent of the population.

Are you voting yes or no to the change?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Northernlily

This is absolutely disgraceful. Personal attacks are just low.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Yes Remember hearing in media/polls that both referendums would be predominantly yes about two weeks ago just when the literature started to arrive in the door makes the result even more astounding that the gubber-mint could get it so so wrong in space of 2weeks/ten days

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭greyday

The independent had an exit poll and religion was very far down the list of why voters overwhelmingly rejected both referendums.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭L.Ball

lol.

lmao, even.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Augme

The level/severity of impact would be the deciding factor. If I felt it was even, I honestly don't know. In all the previous referendum I can remember voting on there has been a fairly clear side level of positive/negative impact so that's made it easy.

I'm not saying people didn't have valid reasons for voting No in either of these referendums either. Certainly in the Care referendum I completely understand why stakeholders in the disability community would have voted no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Does anyone actually know the governments motivation for these referendums….,was there a strong lobby group pushing for them…..there are far more pressing issues as we all know than playing around with a few words at a cost of €23m

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Basically it was intended as a lead in to the upcoming elections. They thought that it would tap into the results from the previous referenda and generate a similar "feel good" vibe as they put candidates in front of people shortly.

It also was a distraction from the other (as you say) far more pressing issues that the Government are failing - and failing badly - on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Hamachi

You think the incredibly bitter and personalised bile issued by that individual is appropriate?

It was in the Programme for Government that they would reapons to each recommendation from the Citizens Assembly on gender equality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Where do those "feelings" come from?

There's always postive/negative impacts in these types of things - that much is obvious, whether it is fairly clear to you the level of positive/negative impacts is rarely decided by your exposure to "religion" or being a Catholic - you've said it yourself, you honestly don't know how you'd vote if thes case was close in your own head.

This one, for me has been very very clear cut - with no religion coming into it at all.

The divorce referendum again was clear cut - knowing the real and positive imact that change would have one people I knew.

The abortion referendum was MUCH trickier from a general moral (which I appreciate can come from religious teachings)ethicial and scientific point of view - however I think a lot of non-religious people would have found this a difficult choice, considering the variables at play. Its easy to come down on the opinion that you'd vote based on the level/severity of impact being the deciding factor if you dont accept the invidivials without a voice in the disucssion will never have the ability to outline the level or severity or impact on their lives or that you have a lack of clarity on when life "starts". (Not suggesting you do - but to suggest that this is purely religion at play is to be over simplistic on it)

Did you vote Yes to the care referendum - when those MOST LIKELY to be directly negatively impacted by it, in the majority called for a no vote?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭DeadHand

There was no significant religious element to the landslide victory for No. This is a bitter attempt to cast the No vote as unthinking.

Quite the opposite: the Irish nation employed critical thinking, common sense and personal experience; as we have in previous refenda. It allowed us to reject governmental propaganda and vote morally, intelligently and in our own interest.

There is hope for us yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭KevMayo88

The vast majority of people are normal human beings who see this leftist, woke nonsense for what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,791 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Threads like this always brings a smile when the people who go around telling others to be nice let the mask slip and show what they really are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭Cody montana

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭L.Ball

Shur the bulk of the unwashed masses didn't know what they were voting for.

• I would have been a YES YES voter in the following circumstances:

For want of a better term the “woman in the home” be altered to read more like “the state should make it possible that a parent be able to take a primary role a home-maker and not be bound by e ironic necessity to work outside the home” “Though marriage is a a primary model of the commitment of two people to each other and any children they may have, there are circumstances where other models of care for children are a valid and welcome part of out society”

“The state has a duty to citizens with disabilities with regard to facilitating their independent living where desired and appropriate and facilitating delendent care for those who need it”

It depends on your definition of impacts also. For a straight person who doesn't believe in gay marraigr, is the impact of gay marraige being legal on them significant? Again, that's depends on each individuals own interpretation of the word "significant". That person isn't impacted in terms of their rights or freedoms. They are still entitled to do the exact same as they were before etc. But they are impacted in terms of their "happiness" level as they believe its wrong. Like with every vote, when I am presented with a direct proposition I do my research and vote based on that research.

I never said religion came into this for for every single No voter. My position is that the 730k who voted no in gay marraige referendum were very likely going to vote no in this referendum on family. I also think if there is a referendum and the wording around durable relationships is clearer or they worded it so it's clear that it means single mothers etc that 700kish will still vote No, primarily due to their beliefs on the concept of family being very strongly linked to marraige. Again, I don't see why that's such an outrageous prediction.

I accept abortion is trickier. However the research does also point out that atheists are much more likely to be prochoice than someone who considers themselves religious. But again, that's not the case in every situation. That's isn't a simply coincidence and I think people who are prolife and religious would say they are prolife due to their morals, and not necessarily their religious beliefs. But I would argue their morals are often founded in their religious belief.

I did vote yes. I never felt anyone was going to directly negatively impacted by it in a significant way. The current Constitution doesn't place any obligation on the state to provide care for people individuals with a disability and the prosed one didn't either. I definitely understand feeling of frustration for people with a disability on having that missed opportunity though, but I also felt that this referendum is not going to be run again for a long time. So, basically felt there was no "significant" negative impact on them. If I felt there was a good chance of another referendum with inprove wording I would jave went No.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

There was a level of confusion and zealotry attached to the voting, how else can you explain a c.30% Yes Yes vote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Sitting on The AG'S letter, not revealing said advice when asked about it,and letting that utterly useless wording go to the people, its all on him, if O'gorman had an ounce of decency he would resign.On TV yesterday he came across as a petulant child and a sore loser.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Extraordinary to see the level of intolerance from several posters who think they are liberal. Evident not just here but on O'Connor show on radio this morning. They just don't seem to be able to deal with results that show not everyone thinks like they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

If the food you were served in a restaurant was undercooked you'd send it back.

No difference here. The proposed changes in wording were not up to scratch. So the logical thing for the electorate to do was send it back to the government to improve on.

Voting yes to it in my mind was either uninformed or ideological driven.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,391 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

They would apply more intellectual rigour than that piece

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

I disagree.

It was up to the people.

The people voted no in an open democracy.

Really, this will be forgotten about in a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

You can be certain that the self declared progressives will make the working class pay for this, and they were disappointed with them already.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭prunudo

Noticed this creeping in a lot over the last couple years, they want everyone to share their views and be accepting of those views, but are unable to listen to other view points without throwing the toys out of the pram.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

It's a religious certainty and those who disagree are viewed as sinners, internal disagreement is because of heretics.

Like many of the Priests of old. Not all. They preach about the needy but are all well heeled, well fed, insulated from their views and consequences.

Archbishop McQuaid would talk about solidarity today but be an even bigger,controlling righteous prick.

• Advertisement

Lefty liberal here.

The results were clear and fair.

The Irish people had their vote and rejected it, we live in an amazing country where this can happen.

Advertisement