Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Referendum on Gender Equality (THREADBANS IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

I think at this point, it is in the public interest to know how that media outlet is being funded. It isn't profitable.

They thought their crass, not-so-subtle attempt to belittle a potential No voter would have an impact...but for someone like me, and I suspect others like me, yesterday was refreshing to realize that the vast majority of us are not influenced by the current media class or political class. The Irish Times published polls only last week telling us this Referendum would succeed, they were bare-faced lies....if polling companies or media outlets didn't pick up on the public mood, you'd have to ask what is the purpose of them?

If the tiny numbers of online subscribers the Irish Times has don't cancel their subscriptions first thing tomorrow morning you'd have to question their intellect, being misinformed is one thing, paying to be misinformed is a completely different matter!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭Shoog

FF/FG will be very badly damaged by this result, SF not so much. As a consequence SF will benefit from the referendum.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

This is a deluded take- especially when the strongest No vote was in former SF heartlands-whilst they actively supported a yes. So laughably out of touch

• Registered Users Posts: 16,716 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Right wing boys? Christ on a bike.

Sinn Fein as political saviours is a dated idea at this stage, as opposition they offer nothing but weak rhetoric to the electorate.

This referendum was not about left v right, not everything is about left v right, particularly in Ireland where every political party capable of forming a government has long since slid to the left.

If you believe that promising to re run a reworded version of these referendums will curry favour for Sinn Fein from the electorate you're even more deluded than I thought.

Glazers Out!

Your still dreaming of the hard right wave raising your boat. There is no hard right party so SF will be the only beneficiaries of a FFG collapse.

• Advertisement

That's not what I said, what I said is the SF can only gain from a further collapse of FFG. You don't even have to a fan of SF to see that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Augme

It was definitely ideological driven. I think unamrried parents are a famly and i feel the government should play a role in the provisionof care. We will never see a committment beyond that in the Constitution though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭Damien360

Mary Lou said they would re-run the referendum just days before the vote. That was a mistake and shows how out of touch they are. Even the polls show SF voters had by far the most No vote of any group, but the party heads were just as out of touch as the current government. SF messed up big time.

°°°°°

All of Irish media bar a few tiny organisations (who are all obviously funded by "the far right", or Whoever else is out of favour at any given time) all follow the same agenda.

The media the political class etc all making sure the Irish people do as they are told all whilst taking as much for themselves from the public coffers as possible (see countless political scandals and the RTE debacle).

We have an elite class lording it over an increasingly impoverished people expecting the status quo to never change.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

National Women's Council doesn't seem to represent Irish women.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I’m not dreaming of anything. Im dealing in the reality of SF utter failure and collapse - all you can do is label and throw out insults- precisely why Sf are in the mess they’re in.

SF fully supported this, they put up posters and press conferences. Be a grown up and own it ffs

°°°°°

I'm unsure how SF benefit when people can see they were in lockstep with the government on these referendums.

SF have seen a loss in support in recent times because they're clearly no different in terms of policy to the government.

Post edited by nullzero on

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,100 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

I agree .

However Holly Cairns and Soc Dems were clear all along that their support was qualified in fairness.

" It’s important to acknowledge that the wording the Government has chosen to replace this provision with is not strong enough. The Social Democrats had argued that the proposal on care should have been more ambitious. In our view, the language lacks substance and limits constitutional protection of care to care within families – and not the wider community, as recommended by the Citizens’ Assembly on Gender Equality....

My party had proposed alternative wording which would have recognised forms of care taking place outside of the home, as well as putting an obligation on the State to support carers. Instead, under the proposed new wording, the Government will ‘strive’ to support carers. This means there is no explicit requirement on the Government to provide practical or financial support to carers. While this is not as strong a step forward for carers as I would have liked, it is an improvement on the current wording of the constitution. Maintaining the status quo is not in anybody’s interest."

Think this is pretty clear what the intent was .

I did hear similar from Louise O'Reilly SF and others also in opposition eg Jed Nash , Lab . Again to be fair.

But I agree that they all should have should have stood up to the government parties trying to bully through rushed and incomprehensible amendments to our constitution .

Agreeing " in principle " is not enough in this case . Nailed down wording and proposed draft legislation needs to be presented to people before they vote to make such important changes .

And this is what should happen before the next referendum.

We have seen before the harm that inept changes can make and the trauma with people having to resort to lengthy court cases for their rights as a citizen.

That is what was being supported by all parties here . Not good enough .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

FFG will always have a solid core vote and leo/Micheal will promise to do better, the real losers will be the Greens, they are fooked😀

The IT ran arguments from both sides . Including McDowell . So not all media complicit .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,546 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Yes, criticism of the opposition parties is a bit unfair here. It wasn't their legislation and it's not as if a second referendum was waiting in the wings with new wording if this one got voted down. The likes of SF and the Soc Dems did make it perfectly clear they were not particularly happy with the wording, but felt voting it down would be a worse option.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭thegame983

This referendum has made the government look incompetent & the opposition look impotent.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭KevMayo88

True, many Irish media outlets attempted to give equal coverage to both sides. Not The Journal.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭thegame983

Nonsense, they supported a yes/yes vote, they wanted the party/photo op in Dublin Castle to launch their election campaigns.They believed the polls/hype from the Government (especially the greens), they did'nt want to be seen as Losers.

If anything SF.SD. LAB and the others are worse than FFG for not having the courage of their convictions and not opposing a wording that they now say they did'nt like.Cowards the lot of them.

• Advertisement

Black ...White .

Right ...Wrong .

Real world is a bit more nuanced , people .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,873 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

What in the name of god is that first sentence lol. Utter nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Spot on.

As I said before once you stick a so called progressive label in it, they are terrified to oppose it in case the twitter hash taggers go after them. Absolute wasters.

What an opportunity missed all the same. What a triumph it would have been for one of them to lead in a No vote on the Care referendum yesterday, promising proper support for carers etc. Would really have been a stand out from crowd moment.

The "we didnt like the wording but voted for it anyway" is mealy mouthed nonsense and as you said utterly cowardly and at odds with the vast majority who shot both amendments down in flames.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

It’s a slow burn, but everyone learns at their own pace

Thats not trolling,Harry responded to you post.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

20m wasted on this farce

Inaccurately and untrue , so yes it is .

If any of you ever look anywhere else you could read I called the care referendum out weeks ago and declared my intentions vote wise back then .

Post edited by Goldengirl on

No. Harry politely pointed out that he concurs with your assertion that the world is a bit more nuanced than merely black and white.

Well then that is certainly a very nuanced reply !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

It's interesting voter's aren't confused when they vote the way the government want. Only when we give them an answer they dislike are we misinformed or the campaign was wrong etc. this was a resounding No to both. Anyone calling for a rerun can fcuk off.

Advertisement