Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

I think I counted 11/12 lads in Davey’s back room team today during the warm up…….and you can be sure they are not there for the fresh air/good of their health……as was rumoured in Davey’s first coming back in 2008, he will again bleed the county board as dry as he can and will there be nothing to show for it apart from humiliation to the broader hurling world😡

Doubt O’Sullivan would be interested…..maybe Ken McGrath/Dan and Co would give it a go following their involvement with the u20’s this year..assuming davey fcuks off

• Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Really is hard to have any hope for the championship this year. Davy is only sucking money out of the county and we're the bigger fools to be giving it to him. I do genuinely think we'd be better off getting rid of him now and putting someone like Ken McGrath in for the year. They're really would be no downside to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

I felt really sorry for Shane Bennett as he walked off. How can any of the players enjoy playing in an environment like that? We have a group of really expressive, adventurous, attacking players like Jamie Barron, Jack Prendergast, Mark Fitzgerald, Calum Lyons on the pitch. And yet our manager decides he needs to re-invent the wheel with tactics. I disagree with those who say we have no plan, for me we have multiple plans that are so rigid and confusing that any sense of freedom is taken away. Players are visibly second guessing themselves as they go against natural instincts and try to conform. Just some of the nonsense today was

• The role of Billy Nolan. For a series of puckouts we pushed our centre back onto the Wexford sweeper opening up space in our defence. On one occasion the man Billy should have been marking was then free on our 45.
    • Paddy Leavy was excellent against Cork in midfield. So our management decide today he'll play behind the half back line and miles away from where he can influence things.
    • Leaving Calum Lyons on after the clash with Michael Kiely. He did make one great catch after it which led to the goal chance for Monty but aside from this he didn't look right. Player welfare should take priority and even if Calum wanted to play on, he had a head injury only a month ago against Offaly and we can't take risks like that.
    • When we need a goal at the end, we must be the only team that withdraw players so the one member of the full forward line is surrounded by defenders. We had some wides and a few fell short from out the pitch but the players taking the shots had no other option.
    • We bring on Dessie and he spends some of the time in that role surrounded by defenders and the remainder playing somewhere between midfield and half back.
    • Our long puck out strategy is to hope Kiely wins it. And he had a huge first half before the collision. Hopefully he's ok, he looked really shaken coming off but he seemed better after. But as against Cork when he wasn't on the pitch our attack fell apart.

A few players didn't have good days but I wouldn't be too harsh on individuals, it can't be an enjoyable set up when you're not allowed to go out and play. Worse than that, despite all the players being brought back the field, we still look like we can be opened up with a simple overlap. His second term was poor before today but that showing was worse than anything so far. It is very very hard to see any progress that has been made or where it will be made in the next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,386 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Davy will no dobut move to another county after he fcuks off and cant see an outside manager wanting the gig here so maybe Ken and Co for the job or some sort of management team led by Stephen Molumphy (whos kerry team are struggling atm). Derek part 2 ?

Is it we just dont have the players for Davys type of hurling or simply the believe is gone after Cahills departure and the lads can live off the 2013/2016 All Ireland underage success while Ballygunner instead compete for All Irelands ?

Todays result taking the shine off the new Walsh Park and Supporters Club

• Advertisement

It’s looks more and more like nobody else wanted the job after Cahills departure……above poster says there are definite strategies at play but if there is only Davey knows what they are …..there were a number of occasions today when a wex player had the ball in the half forward line and the closest wateford player to him turned his back and seemed to be leaving it up to one of the full back line players to challenge him…..and as said above despite handing 90% of players behind the 65 line wex players were able to cut through the ‘defence’ like a knife through butter……😡

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Your system should be designed to get the best from the players at your disposal. Coming in with a system and trying to mould players into it is lunacy. It’s not a professional game where you can buy and sell players to suit the system.

Were our subs been recorded at HT before the kids came onto the pitch ?

We also have the youngfella whos always next to Davy on the sideline, cant recall him been part of past Clare and Wexford setups

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭seananigans

survey 100 people inside or outside the county, are we ahead behind or the same since davy came in ?

i would think 100 would agree we are going backwards

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭decies

The season ticket f#%% up with no championship matches am sure has a lot to do with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭seananigans

I think we need to vote with our feet till davy is gone

Doesnt look a very exciting prospect for 2025, one 'big league game' with Clare and Limerick been the home games in Munster

• Registered Users Posts: 29 LohansRedHelmet

I understand why but it’s maybe counterproductive. The players don’t deserve it

Subs being recorded doing what…..continuously warming up…..?

The young lad that is always in Davey’s shadow is a mystery alright…..Peter queally was visible today before the game but Eoin Kelly from Tipp was nowhere to be seen….? I thought These are supposed to be the ‘hurling men’ of his back room team but it’s only that young lad that we ever see in his vicinity……very strange…..I wonder does davey have a clause in his ‘package’ that if he was to get the ‘ sack’ before his ‘contact ends’ he still gets whatever ‘fee’ that was negotiated at the start…..including everything for his back room team also…??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

When you see the hunger and fight Wexford had for their manager today, a local guy from the underage scene who had little or no success but has vision and massive respect of the players up along. it makes you wonder what the hell we needed to go back to Davy Fitz for. Surely it’s time to be looking within the county again for someone to lead us. Personally I’d love to see Ken McGrath or Joxer o Connor step up from the u20s or minors next year

Put yourself in a waterford fans shoes. Would you turn out week after week to witness beatings and poor performances with no sign of any success/progression…..? Cahill had something going with this group of players until that home game v cork in 2022 followed by probably the most humiliating defeat in recent times the following week…😡…….since davey took over the downward spiral has continued bar the win last year v Tipperary which kept him in the job…..if he gets another year after this one the supporters will dwindle away further and it’s hard to blame them

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Rover_N_Out

Wexford have a very good coach in David Franks, he has them playing well. Such a shame we didn't see fit to get him involved with Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭914

Mainly because you play a nice brand of hurling, and are going toe to toe with Limerick.

Pay €20 to watch no player inside the 45 and have Tony Kelly operating in midfield and the numbers would dwindle.

2 or maybe 3 years ago there were 9/10k in Walsh watching Waterford V Wexford, Cahill had us playing a nice brand of hurling and even if you lost you know they had a right go at it.

Today and chasing the game resulted in aimless balls being pumped into a one man forward line, it's not the kind of stuff that gets the heart pumping and supporters are less likely to pay €20 to watch it when they can turn on the telly.

Don't knw what the feck the tripod was doing there ?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 LohansRedHelmet

I am not the one to have this conversation with as I always follow my team regardless. I have been there for some bad beating and utter rubbish from Clare but it never stopped me from going again and again.

You can’t claim to love me county but walk from them when moral as low regardless of any distain you may have for the manager.

With regards Fitz, the dogs on the street could see it was the wrong appointment from the get go. He was already spouting excuses pre your first championship game of his tenure.

Its not entirely his fault though as your county board have made a massive error in appointing him only compounded by continuing this madness by letting him continue this year.

When ye let him go, I can’t see him getting a top tier job in the future.

• Advertisement

How can you tell if it was recording or not…? Did you say it Was placed there at half time….if do and it was recording them then it’s more utter nonsense…..😡 what of any value could be obtained from filming subs at half time..,?

Just guessing it was monitoring something with the subs

That tech didn't come free anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭fuinneamh

Davy Fitz's tactics is the hurling equivalent of a flat earther trying to prove the world is flat. The main problem is it's been funded by county board and more importantly our clubs coffers (recent season ticket purchases). Any functioning business would cut ties immediately.

we are led to believe that it was davey who did the best interview for the job..,,,but it’s easy to win when you are the only candidate

Another example of utter madness and borderline insanity 😡😡

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭waterfordgirl

I've been to to about 95% of games since i got into hurling, aged 11 in 98. Really had to drag myself to last years championship games. There have been many horrible defeats in those times, but honestly the past couple of years have been so demoralising.

I'm currently planning on going to all championship games. But I am at a stage where I'm really not enjoying it so it is hard to know.

Davys constant calls to "get behind the team" are also very frustrating. They didnt even look like they backed themselves for the most part last year. He doesnt seem to realise that it works both ways,its very hard to "get behind" a team thats constantly shooting themselves in the foot, like today where they were chasing the game and the best forwards sat between mid field and the halfback line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭914

As have I with Waterford through the 80s and 90s,.I have witnessed some dark times, that said I never stopped supporting the team and although I never agreed with Davy's appointment, I still attend the games a d support the lads.

That said you stated Waterford are the worst supported team, I am just pointing out the reasons why some people choose not to attend the games.

Aside from Davy issue, It's also a GAA issue, €20 for a league game is expensive. €10-€15 is more than enough, that and games on television have a big impact on attendance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭decies

I wonder how hard it will be to get tickets for Walsh park championship games . Obviously strong away support more of a factor then league but guess wait and see .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Hiring Davy was always a terrible decision. Two totally wasted years in league and championship. Yes we don't have the players to win an AI but we absolutely have the players to beat Wexford at home after being 6 points up. The guys tactics are from 10 year's ago, what a depressing state Waterford hurling is in.

• Advertisement

The 'tactics' did get a lucky All Ireland title in 2013

Advertisement