Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - New season title pending....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Yea, of course.

He obviously has a lot of athletic and physical tools. He is big strong and fast. There is way more than zero chance that he could be useful to ireland over the next 3/4 years. And the cost to keep him was one cap vs japan or whatever.

The cost benefit analysis on this is so simple to me. I just don't see how this isn't obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭50HX

I'd hate to see him leave at the end of nxt season, the partnership with nankivell is starting to settle into something great for us.

From irish perspective he's the closest direct replacement to ringrose style imo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Shehal

But this handing out caps to everyone who "could" be useful is what Schmidt did...it led to us having loads of players have some caps but no real proper depth being built when it came to the big games. The Farrell is approach his squad is he's focusing his caps on the players that could genuinely be first choice rather than building a good 2nd choice side. Farrell has seen Frisch in camp and he posses all the qualities he looks for so if he's okay letting him leave for France maybe he's isnt quite good enough for the step up for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭clsmooth

I think Munster fans would have been happy with that. Unfortunately he chose to pursue another option.

Frisch in fairness is French. He was unfortunate with the depth of centre ahead of him for Ireland but got time with Emerging Ireland so was seen as a potential international.

Its not just what Schmidt did. Its what other countries do generally. We seem to be the ones who don't.

Also, who knows what the next coach thinks. McCloskey wasn't a Schmidt guy but he was a Farrell guy. What is he was scottish qualified and had left ireland when he was 27?

• Advertisement

And what good did it do? The 23 ultimately stayed the same and didn't improve. The approach Farrell has done is improve the top end of the squad rather than the bottom end which is why results are so much better now. It's also import to ID talent, which is what Farrell has done and if Frisch isnt getting a cap maybe he's not the answer we think he is. If we are going to cap a centre we should be looking at the likes of Osborne for example as they are the ones with potential to be starting for Ireland in the near future.

If we only looked at guys like osborne then mccloskey wouldn't have broken through later. You are basically cutting off an entire path into the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

This sounds just so lazy, get Osbourne in as he's shown potential, maybe get Frisch in as well.

See why he brings.

We're just so slow in bringing in more than the 30 odd players into national camp.

What happens to the next round of players if we continue ignoring 100 odd players for their opportunity to play for Ireland.

Btw, I'm not saying we should cap everyone nor that every provincial player is capable of playing for Ireland but when you see another country call up a player then that's a player we (Ireland) lost

Last year Munster had Ben Healy, Kleyn, RGS, Frisch and Mike Haley, only one NIQ in the list but their non selection for Ireland means we've lost Healy & RGS (to continue playing in Ireland 😮) and could lose Frisch and potentially Haley.

I fail to see how the IRFU can believe this is a good outcome

I'm not for either as Osborne needs to get a proper run for Leinster first but hypothetically if I had to choose one Osborne would make more sense which is why Osborne has been in 2 squads last year.

I'm not fussed about it, like I said what's most important is making sure the top end of Irish rugby is strong and capping the likes of Kleyn or Frisch doesn't do that. Obviously its not the perfect way to go, what way is?, but our approach has proven to be fruitful so far so why change it?

But what have we lost? All Frisch would ever be for Ireland is another Mike Haley, 1 or 2 caps and probably not seen again once the likes of Osborne kick on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭50HX

I think the irfu believes they are well stacked at lock & outhalf, sure there's plenty of leinster talent at centre to cover in the future, Haley I can't get my head around tho....we are threadbare at international 15

But that's the point, we havent cut off a pathway for players like Frisch because McCloskey got a look in. When you talent ID its not just youngsters like Osborne but even older heads like McCloskey which Farrell has done brilliantly. Frisch is the sort of player that suits Farrell to a tee, there's no reason to think that Farrell wouldnt select him for the 6N or WC unless Farrell has already had a good look at him and concluded that he isnt what we need.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭clsmooth

I think the IRFU will argue that Munster need to be bringing more IQ players through. They’ve been unlucky with Healy who wasn’t good enough to get selected for Ireland at the time. He chose to leave.

In fairness we see some green shoots coming with Edogbo and Ahern in the second row and Gleeson. All three could be big players for Ireland going forward. Crowley is obviously going well and was an obstacle that Healy wasn’t going to get ahead of.

Obviously the IRFU would love if all 4 province could bring more IQ players through but we all know there are issues in developing players.

But Andy only used about 35/40 players, the provinces use about 170/180 players.

How will provinces hold on to players (even if all are IQ) if Andy is so against extending the net.

Munster ( this is the Munster thread) are just beginning to best out of Nankivell & Frisch now we potentially lose out on Frisch.

Playing an IQ (who may never be good enough for Munster) will never be a benefit to Ireland so where's the gain

We lost RGS because Kleyn wasn't good enough for Ireland but good enough to make the RWC champions and then RGS is allowed to be signed by an Irish Province. Then Ross Molony ups sticks from the province that is allowed sign RGS

85% - 90% of the time you are right about that but in that other 10-15% there are a whole range of outcomes where he is a useful player.

That is basically what France are doing. They see that he could be something, the price in terms of just one cap is cheap, so they grab the asset. Its like buying a stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Understand why Munster fans would be annoyed by this happening again but capture capping is a pretty scummy way to go about business. Despite how it might negatively impact the province down the line, I'm surprised so many want it to happen to players they claim to like and support.

Hard for AF to take the high EQ 'player's coach' role he seems to want when acting that way - locking guys to a country with the main goal to block them from having an international career elsewhere.

So was project players in all honesty but we did it because everyone else does it, or almost everyone. Same deal here.

But the point is France might get him and come to the same conclusion we have, he plays week in week out in Ireland with Irish coaches watching him and he's been in the set up at least twice, we know all about him and if he couldn't convince in these moments then maybe he just isnt up to it. France pretty much have to call him up as they don't run the equivalent of emerging Ireland nor do they get the opportunity to watch him at games every week so this is the only way they get to notice him. For all we know France might see him and think "nah" then Farrell is vindicated.

What France have done, which I agree with is instead of capping fodder in the French league who are unlikely to step up, like Guy Noves/Jaque Brunel did, they cap younger players who have the potential to be stars like their 12 today. There is no perfect way of doing it but if you are in a situation where you dont have a clear 3rd/4th choice centre then maybe capping the players with the most potential to be stars is the way to go.

I don't know if its that cut and dry. Prendergast was in france a long time, so they probably have someone to talk to about his progress.

Also the result is the same. They now own all his potential for the price of one cap.

I'm not saying everyone should get capped but i'd have a pretty hard line on this. If another major rugby country grabs someone from ireland, we should have captured them. That's enough on its own for me.

Again, your post reads almost like there's no need to try anyone else, we have Osborne.

What happens if Osborne isn't the answer or gets an injury at the wrong time.

Whats wrong with getting guys like Healy, Kleyn and now Frisch into camp.

These are guys who will now play international rugby for another country but couldn't make a training camp in Ireland. Remember, one of those guys was selected by SA to play in the RWC that they won.

• Advertisement

BTW, there's an argument to be made that Munster developed the players enough to be called up by the other country. Just because they weren't born in Munster (bar Healy ) doesn't mean we didn't develop them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

Schmidt actually won more than farrell did as irish coach in fairness

Fruitful is relatively. We have 1 trophy in 4 years as of now

Those are absolutely nothing alike.

The project player pathway opened additional doorways for players, capture capping closes doors to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

France are hardly going to throw Frisch in against England with him only getting one week of preparation time with the squad. They get to have a look at him, he fills a gap in training, and it causes less disruption to French clubs than calling up a France-based player.

If a province signs lots of IQ foreigners to make up for a lack of development of homegrown talent then of course the chance they qualify for someone else and might get a call up goes up.

Most of the irish backlines foreign born painting this as a single provincial development issues silly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Hmmm, maybe. Lowe, JGP and Aki are Kiwis, obviously, and NZ don't pick players playing "offshore". So it didn't come up while they were eligible for both countries. Haley's in the same boat, come to think of it. England won't call him up while he's playing for Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Be gutted if Munster end up losing Frisch he’s a big player for them, but by all accounts the next centre to be capped by Ireland will probably be Cathal Forde.

Project players close doors for actual irish players though. That's how its alike.

• Advertisement

And for all of those players there was the exact same risk that if they didn't perform at a high enough level to get an Irish cap and keep getting them then they could have ended up going back if they were made the right offer.

This is an issue the big rugby nations have dealt with for years, with Ireland regularly doing the poaching. Three of the four Munster players in question where in the exact situation from their home nation, where they chose not to to capture cap them.

Advertisement