Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Village87

Shine looked slow out there. Doesnt look fit either

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Haven’t seen it mentioned in here, apologies if it has been, but Aidan McCarthy had a scandalous “challenge” on Huw Lawlor near the end of the game. Somehow Owens decided it was worthy of a yellow both ways. I don’t think the commentators referenced it at the time either.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭The_Tank

Ref Shine - that’s a bloody hard role to play - especially as a young lad - and I do think that is important and good management to rotate a lad in that role out the field for a few minutes to get an opportunity to get into the game as staying sharp and patient is really important

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

if you remember the moonpig. com adverts on british tv , where you could personalise your own cards , well that's basically what james owens done today ,he invented yellow cards for nothing and ignored the actual ones there was a great image i seen watching the game back where paul Flannigan got called a free for absolutely nothing it even confused the commentators , and tj who was running out from the full forward position to take the free gave a look to flanagan as if to say "god only knows , he's been doing it all day "

we got away with loads of holding especially adam hogan who was all over cian kenny all day , and roary hayes carried it on , its a tactic we get away with alot but gets found out on bigger sundays , its not a tactic that lohan used himself in his day but one he seems to promote a lot now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Well said. The lad is trying to come back after numerous setbacks and recent surgery. He might never make it at senior but let's hope he does and wish him the best. Gearoid Dunne is in a similar situation, he too had recent surgery. For a young lad he played very well in our SENIOR club championship with Tullaroan. Fingers crossed for both, we do need them all.

• Advertisement

from a kilkenny point of view ye must be happy with the performance of the full back line today , mikey butler is a curse to clare forwards , mark rodgers didnt get a sniff

i thought john donnelly had a fine second half when he came on , but mikey carey was excellent , especially when he was moved back to center back , it must be so hard for that young lad at the moment with the huge spotlight over the family at the moment , but he hurled like djs son should hurl today i thought he was excellent we can forgive the one or to stray passes ,but he knows how to defend and win dirty ball

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Pigeon Chaser

It was a poor game. Unfortunately it leaves us with more questions than answers.

Both half backs, particularly Blanchfield got roasted.

Mikey Carey struggled, particularly in the first half. I know lots of our lads were guilty of it but he fumbled a lot of ball unchallenged.

Our delivery remains poor. I'm disappointed we seem to have regressed from last year in this regard when we were showing some progress. Lots more aimless ball to congested areas today.

Our hand passing was very poor. Loopy passes that take forever to come back down.. recipient always gets swallowed up. We need to either get better at hand passing, or just throw it like the limerick lads and accept a couple will be blown.

On that, somehow Owens blew TJ for a throw after he was manhandled to the ground late on. I don't know if TJ threw it, because he has his back to the camera, but neither did Owens - was impossible for him to see based on his positioning.

Special word of mention for the referee by the way. Absolutely baffling interpretation of the rules. No consistent application ... For both teams. A pathetic refereeing performance. Both teams can feel equally aggrieved. He seemed to have made his mind up before the game that no matter what was inflicted on TJ, he wasn't going to give a free...

We seemed miles behind. It was a miracle we were still in the hunt at the end to be honest... We had a lot more championship starters than Clare did too.

Anyway, we rarely win in Ennis. Hopefully we can beat Waterford and get another crack at Limerick...

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

That was for a swipe from Conor Cleary on Mullen. Might not have been obvious at the ground but could be heard on television & the co comm referenced it when the commentator was questioning it. It wasn’t a terrible stroke & I think he caught Mullen’s hurley rather than leg, but I think the clear sound of it was probably what made Owens mind up.

But yes, overall I would fully agree it was a very poor refereeing performance.

fair paly i didnt know what it was for , but yeah he will still have a tough tuesday night in front of the assessor , i hope he passed his fitness test a few weeks ago he will be sweating otherwise , brutal performance in my opinion

• Advertisement

i haven't forgotten about ye lads dont worry , the current league is very hard to get excited about ,next year will be much better , when kilkenny hunt in packs they really hurt our middle 3rd , they didnt start to move in 6s and 7s across the two 65s until the game was nearly over which will highlight just how far they are away from full tilt at this time of year

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭forchange

As trip to Clare goes we done well

see criticism of young players kilkenny always struggled in Clare

if the senior players around young players are not preforming how you expect the young players to preform

see some people very hard on blanchfield very hard for half backs to play well when your centre back not able to hold middle

Rich Reid never good enough to play centre back for kilkenny

lyng needs to start standing up to the plate

corcaran has showing he to slow for midfield

we had Kenny and carey doing ok they should be giving as many matches to build a partnership

Deegan had great year centre back then move into forwardS

look at wexfords performance today

Not sure we’re allowed pick anyone from Wexford.

to be fair deegan is only put into the forwards as an option for five or ten minutes in the bigger games , mainly as a ball winner from the puck outs as he seemed to be the main target today

carey did farmore then okay , but yes the more experienced players need to improve especially mullan and dare i say it but tj on frees but its march and it was freezing cold when the ground dries things will be different , as i said above , how many times did kilkenny actually press the middle 3rd and hunt in packs in 6s and 7s and really put pressure on clares middle 3rd , thats what really affected us in croke park the last two years ,

it probably lost kilkenny the final as a result as limerick were physically up to the match fitness wise but every other team in the country struggles against it

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Marrooned

Spot on with everything you said except for Limerick throwing the ball, that was unacceptable the other night and is not part of our game. On a happier note our minors bet Cork yesterday by about eight points which was a great turnaround from three weeks ago, the U20’s were bet by Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭jamesbond2022

Conor cleary is the worst culprit always gives away stupid frees come championship time year after year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭MfMan

You could upset some posters here by posting any little bit of good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Nedflanders02

Even with leaving the result aside, we rarely win in Ennis, it was another disappointing performance yesterday. Once Cody and Mullen had an off day it shows how limited our forwards were, TJ a side who looked very sharp on his return but we can't be relying on a 36/37 year old to get us out of trouble, the younger lads have to be stepping up and taking some of the pressure of him. I thought the decision to play Kenny as a fairly orthodox corner forward was strange, I think he has been good at midfield in the first few games so not sure what the logic of moving him out of there was. I'd have no problem with him playing corner forward and letting him roam out around the middle. Midfield struggled again especially in the first half, Carey was very poor in the first half and fumbled and mis-controlled a lot of ball, he still looks rusty after his year out, things did slightly improve with him going back to half back and Deegan going midfield. A few years ago we had a massive problem at full back until Huw came in nailed down the number 3 jersey, now it looks like 6 has become the new problem position at the back with Richie Reid being very very poor there again yesterday. There really doesn't seem any obvious player to go in and play 6 which is the most worrying part, oh what we wouldn't give to have a young Brian Hogan or John Tennyson coming through! I haven't seen much of Padraig Moylan but would he be an option? I know he's young but he did a decent job with the U20's there.

On Harry Shine, I felt bad for him yesterday been thrown in at the deep end against a very good team like Clare with very little hurling under his belt. Since his operation after the Boro's championship exit, he got 40 minutes against Wexford, wasn't even on the bench for the next 2 games and then thrown in again yesterday. If they think he's the one who could make a forward spot his own they should have played him in every game to get as much experience and hurling into him, he looked like a fella yesterday who had not hurled in a long time and needs games to get him match fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Noddy33

Bad game with poor standard of hurling that was not helped by a whistle happy referee that was equally poor for both teams. Any kind of physical contact is now considered a free and there is not such thing as a 'clash of the ash' anymore.........hurling as a spectacle and entertainment value is being destroyed by a top brass who I assume are the ones directing the shots to the referees on what they need to blow the whistle for.

Not much positives for Kilkenny really when you factor in still no centre back that can dominate (things improved in Second Half When MC went back), midfield that offered little going forward, still cant win our own pucks when we go long, we had no goal threat what so ever and then the the subs being brought on really just shows that the depth and calibre of the Kilkenny squad is not there. All things considered there was still only a puck of the ball between the teams at the end but I really think that just shows how far Limerick really are ahead of the chasing pack.

Most concerning points for me were the lack of goal scoring threat again (has been a problem for a number of years now) and the fact we cant win clean ball of our own pucks out when we go long. The days of just pucking long on top of TJ are gone now as for me this is no longer the strongest part of his game at IC level. I would continue to still play TJ on the half forward line as he is still a magician when gets the ball in his hand and his vision, play making of creating scores for others and point taking are second to none but can no longer rely on him to win the ball cleanly from puckouts. Eoin Cody still remains are best goal finisher but he does seem to be struggling for consistency at the moment. There not really many other options available that have not been explored yet so just could be another yet where the goal count for Kilkenny is low..........

• Advertisement

We don’t need to pick anyone from Wexford

what we need is for someone to train us like Wexford are trained

there hurling yesterday was super there scoring Fantastic

they playing to a system everyone knows how To play to it

its the stupid attitude like the tanks comment has kilKenny Hurling where it is

its not often you could say it but we could learn from them

we can’t even come up with puck out strategy

and we keep making the same mistakes

Tank maybe watch Wexford and Waterford before you make stupid remark

Ok here goes for the craic.. Considering I'm the reason it's all gone south since 2015...

As trip to Clare goes we done well

Glad you're finally happy. Everyone else is not particularly. Even Lyng was pissed off after.

see criticism of young players kilkenny always struggled in Clare 

A generalisation that's been thrown around in every podcast - we hardly ever go there. We kinda struggle everywhere now anyways.

if the senior players around young players are not preforming how you expect the young players to preform 

True but what 'young players' are you saying struggled because of that?

see some people very hard on blanchfield very hard for half backs to play well when your centre back not able to hold middle 

My problem with Blanchfield is that he couldn't compete properly in the air with Duggan, and if that detail isn't fixed then we're gonna end up in even more bother.

Rich Reid never good enough to play centre back for kilkenny

True Limerick walked all over him 2 years ago, and true he had a bad game against Wexford last year from a distribution point of view but he is the best sweeper we have, if we want to play that way. Otherwise you need to find someone who will read the play and distribute as well as he does. I don't think he's a traditional centre back and it's been proven he can be got at - but not good enough at all is not correct.

lyng needs to start standing up to the plate 

That's him told then.

corcaran has showing he to slow for midfield 

Grand so. At least they tried something. Hindsight is wonderful. He got ran by the Clare wing forward for one point. After that I'm not sure where his pace factored into things.

we had Kenny and carey doing ok they should be giving as many matches to build a partnership 

In my opinion Carey's hurling was off in both this and the Cork game - I didn't think he did well in midfield and he did looked more comfortable when he went back defending. This year to me he's a wing back or potentially CB.

Deegan had great year centre back then move into forwardS 

Deegan has struggled as an inter county wing back. He is not the answer. I like him and I think he needs to be accommodated but he's not a reliable defender. Moving him into the forwards and allowing him come back to help out makes sense.

look at wexfords performance today

I'll look at Wexford in April and May to make my mind up on them. They are playing Chin every game they can which indicates they are going for a strong start. How will they be when everyone catches up to them? I don't rule out them pipping us into second place in Leinster. Maybe they just have some better players than us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Charlie69

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Anyway. Our support for the team is probably at an all time low. There was very few KK supporters in Clare yesterday.how many posters were down there yesterday, no bullshit excuses just be truthful and then say to yourself can I really criticise these players when I certainly don’t show the same commitment as the players do.

The silence is deafening as usual. Ye should all hang your heads in shame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

I suspect cost of tickets, cost of fuel, cost of living in general are driving decisions along with the fact it was live on TG4 and realistically ye will have a minimum of 6 championship games compared to a guaranteed 1 once upon a time. I'm a single man in my 30s with no mortgage to pay as yet so I'm in the lucky position to get to all of Wexford games, I've siblings with young families and financial commitments who have to pick and choose.

Post edited by Billy Ocean on

Advertisement