Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2024 **No Ticket Sales / Requests** - Waiting in line, terrible time, over familiar

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,644 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

EP is not the festival of ten years ago and all here seem to have accepted it, begrudgingly or not. The main attitude appears to be - let the main stage have most of the crap and give us a dozen acts to chew on. That continues and I for one am happy.

It remains a very eclectic festival and we don’t want that to change - Body and Soul main stage changing to high-class trad last year was a great move. Jerry Fish, Salty Dog, Providencia and Trailer Park again provided quirky lineups. Trenchtown remains an option in place, Terminus is a brilliant set up and in the main arena we had the likes of IDLES, Johnny Marr, Billie Eilish, Chalk, Gurriers, Murder Capital, Nia Archives, Steve Lacey, Young Fathers, etc. The feedback here last year was overwhelmingly positive, maybe the best EP in a decade. All I’d ask for is more like that but throw in more hip-hop, main stage reggae and shake it up a bit.

We’re a reasonable bunch here. We’re not asking to curate the festival but just for some edginess and continued variety.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭dav09

Agreed, Glastonbury is like a cultural phenomenon/ best of the best so it seems most artists accept a reduced fee and it definitely costs a lot of people to play, but it surprises me that especially playing the major stages but know very few who have and anyone I know/spoke to did lose money, it's crazy. I guess personal EP gripe has been really with the past few years some bookings just seem very boring choices in contrast to not too long ago, am hopeful for this year still given R&L. I played at EP a small few times (once even a decent stage) and another major FR festival in the UK + tonnes here and can say most small-medium sized acts don't make any money from festivals from people I know, but if they had to chose one festival to play it would be Glastonbury. Maybe if you came, played your gig and left. But the free tickets and having a lot of costs/weekend covered is nice, as is the artist campsite, most people would take that for an hour's work. Have heard apparently some festivals have just provided free tickets without any booking fee but I haven't seen it personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,587 ✭✭✭Penfailed

I kinda get the negativity around the main stage stuff in here but as an EP newbie, I absolutely love the festival. I couldn't get over the scale of the place in '22 (my first) but was slightly underwhelmed by the line up. Last year, however, was amazing. I had a packed programme and only visited the mainstage twice (Jonny Marr and KKC). I'm hoping for more of the same this year.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Just to be nosey @dav09 were you playing solo or as part of a group? Maybe we’ve caught you on one of the stages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Hey, where's the festival talk lads and lassies?

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

With all this comparing to Glasto, important to remember ticket prices are pretty steep. Glasto is high initial price, but as it’s free flow you can really save if you drink alcohol. EP is much more reasonably priced at the start, but you will pay more during the weekend, which will suit a younger demographic, effectively spreading cost out over 11 months.

I’ve only managed to get tickets in 2014, I tried again this year but with no luck and was shocked at the cost.

Glasto 2014: £215 (€252)

Glasto 2024: £355 (€417)

65% increase!

EP 2014: €154.5/€229.5

EP 2024: €217.5/€285

40%/24% increase

(Loyalty/Full price)

Tickets for glasto are 92%/47% more expensive.

Although I’ll bitch and moan about beer prices and main stage acts, for the loyalty price of €217, it's still an incredible deal!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Fanirish

i’ve been to tinderbox it has two alternative main stages and two other small tents, they can afford to pay a headliner far more than EP. same model as rockwerchter which has enormous headliners. How many music stages does EP have? 20?

Glastonbury capacity is 210k, you should know that only way that Glastonbury can provide that many stages/tents is because of huge portion of free tickets given as payment to performers, artists etc.

the vast vast majority of artists and performers at Glastonbury are doing so for tickets only, with possibly a nominal cash fee. These are a currency for the festival bookers, that’s why they don’t sell more tickets. Cause they need them in order to have the dozens upon dozens of stages. It’s a trade off, they need to hold back the tickets cause they need them for crew and performers.

Stages like the glade, Stonebridge, downlown, icon etc up to acoustic stage the artists are playing for tickets.

we all know that Glastonbury tickets are worth weight in gold and they use that to their advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭endainoz

Aaaaanyway, launch party this week eh?

Emily eavis has said she only pays 10-20% of an artists normal fee for Glasto. McCartney got about £200k to headline which is peanuts against his normal fee.

friends have played big stages at Glastonbury and said that paying for on site camping wiped out the fee and that was a good fee for Glasto. Others have solely played cause their agent/manager wanted the extra ticket. It’s such an anomaly.

the boring choices come with the greater capacity, booking an act like portishead won’t cut it in 2024 for a headliner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭antfin

The charity element to Glastonbury has to be factored in also.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

I really **** hope so. As it is I'm relying on my sisyphean task of collecting a lossless copy of every single last Now That's What I Call Music!, sorting out the metadata and correct artwork to have a proper archive of them to keep me occupied.

I will then encode down to 320Kbps AAC VBR and have a full copy on my phone and when people ask why, it will be because **** you that's why.

when i get bored, i get really bored.

Glastonbury sells 138k tickets.

EP sells 75k tickets.

That’s how you gauge capacity, not on the free tickets or passes given out to artists, bar staff, stallholders, security, etc at Glasto, EP and every other festival.

You count it that way and EP is a 120k/125k capacity festival. It ain’t. Stop digging.

Great points regarding the comparative prices. With early-birds and discounts we definitely get a great deal. FR could have reneged on them over time but to their credit haven’t.

I think free-flow is definitely an advantage at the likes of ATN and smaller festivals but not at Glasto. The distances make it too much of a slog. Carting an enormous amount of alcohol to your tent is exhausting and you can’t simply nip back to your tent to get a few cans. The distances are just too much. At my last Glasto I walked an average of 28km a day. So I take the hit and buy at the bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭Stillill42

A lot of online love for Vince Power this evening, RIP. Now HE could put together a lineup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

FAO Microdisney fans; Documentary on BBC4 this Friday 15th at 10pm https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001x9fs

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

• Registered Users Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭endainoz

Mean fiddler came awfully close to reviving Lisdoonvarna in 2000, incidentally, Melvin himself was with them crew that did one of the site visits here back then.

A pal worked with him for a couple of decades in London, said it was chaotic but brilliant. I’ve great memories of the Fleadhs in Finsbury Park and I wish I’d gone to the Phoenix Festival which always had great reports. Look at the dance stage alone in 1996.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭Wooderson

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Whatever about the lack of quality in the artists, the loss of the Electric throwback, body and soul and the little ranch type stage and bar are a big loss IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Jaffa3000

Noah Kahan playing Belfast on 17 August, basically confirmed for EP then?

Yeah him and Maisie peters are stradbally and Belfast bound. Either Friday or Sunday headliner for him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Mucker46

If both of them turn up I am at risk of being murdered by my daughter for my ticket

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

He instigated the switch at Reading from rock to indie in 1989 with this lineup.

Spacemen 3's last ever gig. Supposed to be higher up the bill but typically they didn't confirm their appearance until it was too late!

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

• Registered Users Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Stage 2 - Strangelove, really liked their first album at the time and bought the second from iTunes recently, they had some crackin songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭rubick

The Aloof, Lamb, Weatherall - there is no question I would have had to be worked with here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I attended the second day of Vince's Fleadh Mor festival in Waterford in 1993, some line up for that gig.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,063 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Advertisement