Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

The Mane red card on Emerson kept going through my mind overnight, one a red card, the other not even a foul??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭jones

Such a bittersweet feeling after the match yesterday. Proud as f*ck for the team but also feels like a massive opportunity missed. The second half is the best Liverpool have played this season by a mile against the best team in Europe, who for the first time in i can't remember how long, looked rattled.

Even Pep knew it and acted accordingly with subs. We're still in the fight but a win yesterday would have been massive.

Ps I wouldn't sleep on arsenal as some on here are. They are winning pretty and ugly which is something they didn't do last year. This is a three way race and I can't see anything other than a draw between city and arsenal being good for us.

If one of city or arsenal win that game they'll most likely go on and win the league imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭McFly85

While I wouldn’t write off Arsenal, they’re playing brilliantly right now, managing their run-in will be key to how they do. They still have the CL - id be shocked if they didn’t go though against Porto - and they play games at full pelt. We’ve seen them fall off a cliff energy-wise coming into Christmas so I’m not sure they can keep that intensity up going into the end of the season, where they will have some big games to navigate. And they have a thin enough squad - any injury would be massive for them.

City know how to manage themselves and generally able to come out of games playing at about 70% - it’s far more important to be ahead of them right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

You sure?

You sure it's not the usual exaggeration in order make an 'I told you so' point"?

You could come in here and call Mo and Alien and in a year's time someone will remember 95% of the forum saying it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,180 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

We definitely want a draw in the Man City - Arsenal game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭Akabusi

Ridiculous post, lets just ignore all of the City chances.

De Bruyne a few minutes in.

Haaland straight at Kelleher.

Foden where Kelleher made a great save.

Foden where Kelleher punched it against him.

Doku hitting the post.

Draw was a great result, but after all the chances missed by both sides we should have had a chance to win with penalty at the end. That is the talking point.

Our chances were definitely better than City's.

We need to be more clinical but that isn't mutually exclusive from the penalty talking point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,421 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The one that came off Foden that hit the bar came off his arm so would have been ruled out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭Tommysocks11

OK result yesterday but Diaz fluffed a few changes that jota or a fit salah would put away, pity but they could have had another goal too from docu, mcallister and endo were brilliant and Elliott too, it's a pity he lacks speed but he is a great worker, Bradley very good and I'm thinking he is better than trent already and twice as good defending, just win our next 2 games at home and see where we are as city play arsenal next

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭jones

If Diaz could finish he'd be some player. That 70 yard run against walker and another city player in the second half was unbelievable and its not often you see that. He ran himself into the ground and does in every game. If he had more end product (i.e. goals) he'd be world class - we'll just have to settle for very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Just back home from the match, superb 2nd half performance Endo, Mac and Elliot all class yesterday. Anfield was rocking super atmosphere.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

it's a classic, clichéd case of we won't know how good or bad that point is until the end of the season.

what is incredible to me though, is much of the media response to the Doku challenge. it's enlightening and enraging. you have Carra afraid of Keane and Richards, claiming that there wasn't much in it, and it's only a foul somewhere else on the pitch. you've essentially got MOTD saying 'you win some, you lose some'.

all of this while they were shouting scandal at the drop ball, which meant a goal happened for Liverpool 2 minutes later last week.

it's appalling, pathetic and not at all subtle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

It was unbelievable. Best atmosphere in a long long time. Need more of those now with the limited remaining home games - only 5 to go!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,983 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Not mad about Diaz because while he fluffed his lines he also clearly left it all on the pitch. It did make me miss Sadio Mane though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,014 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Quoting because the thanks function is still kiboshed. That's pretty infuriating. Mike Dean said yesterday during the match that Doku was very, very fortunate. But everyone else seems to be brushing it off. Galling.

Also a bit mad that it's the second weekend in a row we've had an opponent fly in with a dangerous high boot and not even had a foul called for either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,421 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

No Mike Dean said it was a penalty then when VAR said it wasn't a penalty Dean turned around and said yes that's not a penalty. Man flip flops more than a fish out of water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,245 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Interesting to see will Mac be first choice penalty taker going forward

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭McFly85

The Forest thing was blown up to insane proportions, can’t believe it actually got as much attention as it did. Fair enough that there was a ref error in there but the main reason they conceded is that they didn’t defend afterwards.

I can’t imagine what the reaction would have been had they been denied a last minute penalty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Robert2014

Having slept on it, I have some takeaways:

1. What a squad of players we have developed. The go into one of the toughest games of the season with a back-up goalkeeper, RB, CB, LB (although Gomez may be first choice now) and have that performance is remarkable. So many injuries and still competing at the top of the league. It gives hope that we can compete now towards the end of the season as he get players back.
    2. City are not the team of recent years. Still very strong but we could have beaten them with a weakened team.
    3. We want the game between City and Arsenal to be a draw. I think we have momentum from yesterday but not to the same extent as if we won naturally. We see what beating us has done for Arsenal recently. We could do without either team getting that boost of confidence and momentum.

Providing we beat Brighton first you can really put a positive spin on any result in the City/Arsenal match.

If Arsenal drop points then we're back in the driver seat, if Arsenal win then we're 4 points ahead of City and tied on points with Arsenal who have a much tougher run in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

100% will be Salah

Mac Allister is 2nd choice after Darwin's miss but he's only taking then when Salah isn't on the pitch. If Doku's high boot gets penalised yesterday it's Mo taking it 100%, he's not going to stand and watch Alexis take it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,421 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I think it was one of those decision where VAR wouldn't have overruled the on-field decision in either case.

I'm trying to think about it more calmly this morning. I think the ref knows, that given the time on the clock, the decision to award the penalty effectively decides the game so he has to be 100% certain. Whether that thought-process should come into it is debatable but either way, I suspect it does.

Did I think it was a penalty? - yes, on balance I think it was. I think MacAllister's (inadvertent) 'turn to the side' movement to try and avoid getting kicked square-on in the chest saves Doku and it probably shouldn't have.

Would I have been pissed off if that was given at the other end - yes, I probably would have been.

I do think Liverpool should have won the match either way yesterday with the chances we created. I've never seen a team, especially one missing so many key players, do that to City before - it was incredible to see.

I'd love to see this team win the PL - they deserve it but, and I hope I'm wrong, I suspect we'll fall just short again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,014 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I didn't hear that bit of the commentary. I heard him say it was a pen, then explained why he thought VAR may not have saw it the same way, but then reiterated that he thought Doku was lucky. Didn't hear that he changed his mind after.

It's the fact that it was a 10 second check and the ref didn't even go to the monitor that's killing me, as you said in the 98th minute of a potential title-decider you want to be 100% sure of your decision....so go take a look at it yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭ronjo

If and its a massive IF Arsenal win at the Ethiad is their run in much harder?

Would have 5 home and 4 away compared to Liverpool with 4 home and 5 away.

You can see what teams are left for each of the 3 here

All 3 clubs have to play Villa, Spurs, Brighton, Wolves and 1 team currently in the bottom 3.

Arsenal play Brighton & Wolves away, but Liverpool play them at home. City have 1 home, 1 away.

Arsenal & Man City play Villa at home, Liverpool play them away.

Arsenal & Man City play Spurs away, Liverpool play them at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,303 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I've always preferred a midfielder the peno taker, strikers work on instinct, midfielders are generally the coolest operators on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,211 ✭✭✭Talisman

Given what has happened in his personal this season it's too much to expect of him at present but one thing is for certain he gives his heart on the pitch.

The dash up the pitch was in the 81st minute and he left Walker and Rodri in his wake. Rodri was on a yellow card and tried to pull him down with a rugby tackle and Walker took a wild sweep at him on the edge of their area. Had Rodri not tried to pull him back, Diaz would have made it into the area before Walker got near him.

Even though he's out of form, Diaz still terrified Man City. If he had gone down to Rodri's tackle, City would have been reduced to 10 men. Rodri was willing to take that risk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭Thud

when they started to show the slow motion version of it I was thinking great, they'll have that on the screen when he wanders over like the spurs game and it will definitely be a penalty....

So similar enough with the obvious exception being Arsenal have to actually win at City.

Honestly, I see us as being masters of our own destiny until Arsenal prove me wrong.

They won't win at the Etihad. I just don't see it.

And also, if they win every game until the end of the season that's 19 in a row, which would then include some of the most difficult Prem away days for them, all while probably going deep in the CL.

Arsenal going to Spurs, when they'll likely be fully fit, is a tough ask.

Arsenal have had their easy run now. People are forgetting that amongst all the 'brilliant football' talk. They're absolutely in with a huge shout for the league, but they've more to prove to make me believe them than Klopp or Pep. They've never done well in the squeaky bum time of the season under Arteta.

I can't wait for Trent to be back tbh.

Just for that added option for those games when we have all the ball. No more Arsenal or City games left.

I'm actually a lot more excited now.

We will likely be ahead of City with ten games to go. In a tight race, I'm not sure we have ever been ahead of them at this stage with equal games played. Plus, three weeks now for people to get fitter, return from injury etc.

You have too much faith in the officials. Earlier in the game when Walker had followed through on Salah, he was off of the ground, had his studs up and was out of control. The incident was ignored.

in fairness before yesterday Liverpools last 4 league games were against teams in the bottom 5.

Pool have Villa away and Spurs at home while Arsenal have Spurs away and Villa at home.

Everton (as bad as they are) will most liklely be far more up for the game at home to Pool than at Emirates.

All I am saying is that the Pool run in from 1st April on isnt FAR easier which I dont believe is a very controversial take.

We are a point ahead of City with ten games to go. 😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,546 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Back home from the match myself. Absolutely gutted, which says a lot in itself. First 10 minutes or so we were poor and I thought we were in for a long afternoon but after that we mostly had the game by the scruff of the neck. Their goal was a shocker to concede, really poor, but I guess they'd say the same about ours

The heart in this team though, I absolutely love them. Can't really criticise any of the starters

Caoimhin - just wow, what a month or so he's having. Ali being out felt like a disaster but he's been magnificent. The only downside is that I think it confirms he should move and play regularly, for his own benefit. I hope he doesn't though

Bradley - the boy loves putting his body into challenges doesn't he? Noticeable that he was in front of our midfielders for their kickoffs, obviously told to play high which left us a bit exposed at times but that was Klopp's call. Not his best game, but very good in the circumstances

Quansah - one mistake but otherwise imperious, like a mini-Virg

Virg - maybe the best I've ever seen him play. Just perfect in defence. Made Haaland look like a schoolboy, and one of those crap schoolboys, not like the ones in our academy

Gomez - not his best game, let a couple of things go past him at LB, looked better at RB but he seemed a bit scared of Doku and stood off too much, including when he hit the post. But I hate criticising, he's been wonderful recently

Endo - what a match! How, just how, was he always in the right place?! I mean, was de Bruyne even playing? Barely noticed thanks to this man. Wonderful stuff, made it look simple. And showed a slightly nasty side with a couple of challenges in the second half, which was needed

Mac - thought he took a while to get into the game but second half he was great. Like Endo, mostly simple stuff but all done well. So composed for the penalty too, loved the way he just took the ball and stood to the side waiting during the delay (what was that for?) Credit to our protectors standing over the spot too, when city clearly wanted to scuff it.

Szobo - looked a little rusty. A few times you could see he wanted a shot from outside the box but the moment just eluded him

Elliott - was everywhere! What a shift he put in. Pressing up front, getting back to double team at RB, all over the middle. If only his final pass was a little crisper he could have been perfect

Nunez - remember when people laughed at comparing him to Haaland? Well he was twice the player Haaland was yesterday. But FFS Darwin, just stay onside

Diaz - absolutely incredible second half, best I've ever seen him play. So gutted he didn't take one of his chances, would have been a performance for the ages if he had

Crowd - very very good for most of the match, though there were obviously some nerves which let it dip sometimes. My voice has gone today though, so that's a good sign!

Klopp - how does he get this team to play like this. It's my final trip this season and when he walked round applauding the crowd I was having to hold in the tears. Damn I love that man, I'm going to miss him so much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭steve_r

Mixed feelings after some time to reflect on that:

On the positive side:

- We are still very much in a title race with the two other teams who have to face each other next time out

- We've reached this point after suffering significant injuries, and we will hopefully get stronger for the run-in

- Kelleher, Quansah and Bradley coming into the team and doing so well in a game like that is a real testament to their quality and temperment. 

- Luis Diaz - amazing workrate and threat as a ball carrier. To turn City inside out is no mean achievement

On the negative

- That second half was a real chance to put City away, and get ahead in the title race. Neville was dead right when he said that not many teams will put City in that position between now and the end of the season. 

- In the four fixtures against City and Arsenal this year, we got 3 points in total. That's not great.

- Luis Diaz - unfortunatly he just isn't clinical at taking chances when he gets them. Similar to Darwin there's a composure lacking there that is just holding him back. 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Liverpool have 2 huge matches against Spurs and Villa on the 3rd and 2nd last weekends of the season. You imagine that both of them will be still in a top 4 battle so they will be playing for something.

I fancy us to take Spurs in Anfield, but Villa away on the 2nd last game, if they have CL football in their sights, will be seriously tough.

We really wanted Villa to win that game yesterday to open up a big gap to Spurs in 4th place.

One other thing to note that Liverpool v Villa will take place the weekend after the European semi finals 2nd leg. So hopefully Villa progress in Europe and have eyes on that too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Thats great, Liverpool paid 1 million to City for nothing, maybe you should work for the legal team.

Arsenal have United on 2nd last weekend of season and they might have qualification for Conference League on the line !!!!!! 😁😁😁

• Advertisement

Performances like yesterday's and the League Cup Final are the ones I'll miss the most when Klopp leaves. We'll see comebacks, late winners, and big scorelines under any manager but the way Klopp inspires belief in every single member of the squad is something we may never see again.

This team is running on fumes, we've been missing some of our best players for a lot of this season and those who are fit have been having to put in a tonne of minutes to cover.

City are missing Grealish but are otherwise fully fit, they put out their best team yesterday, arguably the best team in the world, and we were better than them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Well they definitely won't be in the top 4 conversation by that stage anyway 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

In the Arsenal thread earlier, I saw some posters mention that they know LFC fans who'd rather City win the league than Arsenal (if we can't win it obviously). I mean, I find that staggering that any Red would want City winning ahead of Arsenal. Any posters here rather City win it (just so I know who to stick on ignore 😉)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,546 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Hell no. If we weren't in the conversation anymore (like last season) then I'd actively be supporting Arsenal. I'd say the vast, vast majority of reds would say the same

James Pearce has reported that the Egyptian FA have decided not to call up Salah for the international friendly against New Zealand.

• Advertisement
Advertisement