Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Niallers87

Think a lot of credit for that can go to kinnerk not Davy to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

They did and he did a good job with us first time around. But every dog has it's day and Davy was clearly passed it. Giving him the Job again showed such backward thinking. I don't think Waterford fans are expecting an AI but occasionally winning a game against a decent time would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,688 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

• Registered Users Posts: 6,058 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

100% it was kinnerk , kiely in limerick even admits he is the tactician on the line , can you imagine fitz ever doing that , in daveys book some 80 year old waterboy called gazzy got more of a mention then kinnerk

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

A disheartening day to say the least.

Davy is clearly bleeding us dry. Eoin Kelly is never seen at games. What the hell is his role? Is there any other Liam McCarthy county without a prominent hurling coach? Most have more than 1 but we have our manager doing the coaching it would seem.

Ken is in his first year as U20 boss. He’ll need time to grow into the role. This year may not go well even as I believe they have a young panel as well as factoring in Cummins and O’Sullivan opting out, Seánie Callaghans injury and Fitzgerald being somewhat limited by his senior panel involvement, it’s hard to see where scores will come from for that group.

Joxer is in his second year as minor manager and last year didn’t go too well. From what I’ve heard hopes are higher for next year than this and it’s a young panel for this year. He would probably be better placed to step up given his experiences at club level but I think he’ll be anxious to get the third year with the minors.

If Darragh could be convinced to get involved he would be the obvious candidate. But how much of Ballygunners success is down to an astute hurling coach in Franks as well as the culture there? Very hard to say. If he could take Franks from Wexford I think it would improve things significantly, we’ve really let a good one slip there.

Another option might be Duck O’Rourke currently coaching Cork but their style doesn’t seem a huge improvement on our own.

The saddest aspect of this is that if we get out of Munster this year we’ll be bled even more next year. People within the board, clubs, county and beyond work so hard to raise funds for our teams and improve facilities.. and then it gets pissed away on this lad with his team of stooges doing nothing.

I believe we have a trip to Portugal coming up now in the next few weeks. Another €50,000 or so well spent! How many injuries will be picked up on this waste of time of a training camp?

• Advertisement

i know the feeling , lads get rid of him as soon as ye can , nothing has changed from his clare days ,and i mean his bad clare days , davey fitzs record without paul kinnerk in championship with us was , one win v offaly and two championship wins v laois , pretty much the same level of teams you have beaten in the league since he took over

they were paul kinerrks tactics , and team , shane o'donnell wouldn't have started the replay if fitz had his way , he barely got a look in all year before it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

A week of Warm weather training is where it’s at alright…..👍 would love to be a fly on the wall at those sessions…..what the majority of fans predicted on his re-appointment has depressingly come true….an utter waste and as well as financially bleeding the co board the pride and confidence of the players is being drained/eroded. Hopefully this nightmare will be over by late April unless by some miracle he gets a couple of victories and makes it out of Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shockframe

Kinnerk was the force behind Clare.

All the improvements with Clare can be traced to him through Minor,Under 21 and Senior.

Kiely and Kinnerk supposedly differed on issues in 2017 but Kiely had the sense to work together with him for the good of Limerick.

Kinnerk has had a part to play in 6 of the last 11 Senior All Irelands. And before that had a role in 4 underage All Ireland finals in 5 winning 3.

Davy sidelined him after 2013 and the results speak for themselves.

One will be rightfully regarded as a major innovator in the years/decades ahead.

Not that hard to figure out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Davy is all about the Davy show. That's why he has all these little helpers, that nobody knows, with him. You can bet your bottom dollar he has Kelly in the stand on a mic - and won't want him near the line. Kelly is a big presence on the line and makes no sense not to have him there. Would be known for having a huge vocal presence on the line with Mullinahone. Every ref and linesman would know him and have some kind of a relationship with him. Just makes no sense not to have him on the line, unless you wanted to be in control of everyone and everything and were a control freak... goalkeeper with a man behind the goals is it?

• Advertisement

great post 100% right , kinnerk was brought back 2016 and we beat waterford in the league final , but as you say look at clare in 2014 and 2015 without kinnerek

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

The Davy Fitz appointment has only ever been a face-saving excercise for the co board. They had no plan after Liam Cahill left even though it was obvious he was always going to Tipp eventually and had already turned down their advances in 2021. what was clearly needed was a coach with a similar approach and philosophy to the game to Cahill to continue the 3 years of good work even if it did finish poorly under him, they lacked any sort of courage or conviction to go for someone else of that vein

Instead they took the easy option for them and went back to old buddy Davy who let’s be honest would have taken any job. But what they’ve actually done is taken us back to the dark ages the most oppressive appointment I can remember whatever about sacking Davy if this was business the entire board would be sacked. To see the goons sitting with the GAA president and president elect in the stand yesterday was depressing that these are the guys charged with administering the game in our county

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Venom69

Is it a private benefactor who is funding this Portugal training camp and Davy's expenses along with his backroom team?

We have been told that expenditure on county teams is too high and has to be reigned in by the board.

Apparently other Waterford county teams both hurling and football have been told to cut back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭decies

We will see where the championship goes but if it goes how we fear it goes the worrying thing there’s no natural selection ready that would either want the job or has the relevant experience for it . It’s hard to fathom in a space of a few years weve come from an all Ireland contender to a complete s#%^ show on and off the field . I didn’t get to look back on the match till late last night and first time for very long time was worried or we going back to the very bad days of Waterford Hurling . This needs to be thrown back into reverse now sooner rather then later before it’s too late for the short to long term affect of Waterford hurling .

• Registered Users Posts: 4 deise122

Why is Peter Queally never mentioned as a replacement in these threads the only man with a track record of improving clubs in Waterford the rest of the names on this board don’t really have a similar CV apart from maybe Darragh Sullivan.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

The root of all our problems is a pathetic County Board, and not just the present one, it's been going on for years. Yes men all of them. The Clubs need to step up and start sending people of substance for election. They constantly roll over as opposed to other counties e.g. We wouldn't have had a championship match in Walsh park for the last few years if it hadn't been for Kildare. When was the last time we appealed a red card? Every other county appeals every red cards and are often successful.

It makes my blood boil to see Davy on the line, standing there yesterday with a smirk on his face while being interviewed. But it's not just Davy alone, our underage performances over the past few years are way off. And year after year we hear the "ah not much expected of the minors this year"

What other top 8 team would have Davy as a manager?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭deisedude

He has a great club record but he got a crack with the County U21's before and didn't go great. Him being in the current background team won't do him any favours either

He is the Jose Mourinho of hurling. His next job will be a tier 2 county like Laois, Antrim or at a push Dublin (you could argue we are one now)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Gardner

A lot of knee jerk reactions going on here. Status in the league isn’t important and nor will it be going forward under the current system. Where we were last year in the league vs this year is streets apart. I think we’ve come on since then. Anyone remember the draw vs Dublin, poor display vs Antrim, hammering vs Tipp games ffs. 

Get more game time into returning players this Saturday vs Kilkenny, the result doesn’t matter. Head off on warm weather training camp and we’ll know at 6pm on April 21st after the Cork game if the national league preparation mattered or not. Personally I think well beat Cork in WP. We’ll be a nice bet at 2/1 in the bookies. 

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭upthedeise16

What great tracks record with clubs? He has 1 county title that I can think of?

Post edited by upthedeise16 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 deise122

He has come up against a ballygunner 9 in a row winning team got beat by them with passage abbeyside and roanmore.

1 title is more success than some names mentioned before.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭whiteandblue

I personally wouldn't have Queally in the reckoning for the job. He is part of the current management team so he is part of the issue as far as I would be concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JD. 60

Are you still on Davy’s payroll ! Did you predict a Waterford win against Cork last year too ?

This time last year, most people were willing to give Davy the benefit of the doubt. Not so this year, apart from yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 LohansRedHelmet

You might want to look up the definition of “knee jerk”. This is hardly an emotion filled reaction from Waterford fans given this s*ite has been going on for over a year.

On Cork, you would want to be mad to tip Waterford to beat Cork. There is simply no basis for doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shockframe

Unfair on Mourinho that.

Not the soccer thread obviously but what he did with Porto in the face of a major change in top level was remarkable. Comparisons to Davy aren't justified for that alone.

I doubt the Tier 2 counties will come knocking for Davy at this stage and besides going to one of those counties will be even harder than it has been for his last 4.

He will only get more and more defensive and he can't deal with criticism at all. Not a good pairing.

He'll be forced out though at the end of the season one way or another. The backlash has been as severe as I can ever recall for a league game.

For all that it looks as if Waterfords chance of an All Ireland with this group has come and gone.

Without knowing the in and outs of it I reckon the time has come for root and branch reviews.

Other than Tipp they look to be way behind the other counties at Underage and they will struggle if they don't match up here.

Same as deise122 said. Queally has got the best out of a number of clubs. Still miles behind Ballygunner but best of the rest.

I still don't think he is an intercounty standard manager though

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭jimmythesulk

Your having a laugh if you think he would improve this Waterford team. He plays the same tactics as Fitzgerald. About ten years ago he was manager of the Rower team up here in Kilkenny and they couldn't get rid of him quick enough due to his negative hurling. They played similar stuff to the muck Waterford are producing at present. Always though the present ballygunner manager comes across as a class individual, who speaks really well and has them playing to their strengths and not his system. Yere county board should be moving heaven and earth to get him.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭deise man

Is there talk of bringing the start time of Saturdays match forward. Heard it mentioned at the match yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭seananigans

https://www.wlrfm.com/sport/i-didnt-get-the-impact-i-expected-to-get-fitzgerald-on-loss-to-wexford-351084?fbclid=IwAR3WiiCm9fBFvZLaFwKMmW1hC1Qu3zaDVeiTmkdcvIxa6ga6ZAttCCPhRj8

"If we happen to win two or three games [in the Championship] will they be talking about the league? No...judge us on the end of Championship and see how we feel."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

What did ye think of Casey yesterday? When Davy was at Wexford he tried to make him into a goalkeeper for a short time...

Advertisement