Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clontarf to City Centre Cycle & Bus Priority Project discussion (renamed)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,120 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

The lanes going in and out will be the same as they were previous to the works.

I'm a member of westwood and couldn't care less if there were no parking spaces at all so not everyone prioritises parking. You see way more people walking and cycling into the place while drivers sit in their cars blocking the bus and bike lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

I take you're point RE: people cycling/walking.

Maybe they should reduce subscription for those who don't want a parking spot, they'd then know the true head count for those that wish to drive there. (and be able to plan for it accordingly)

Probably wouldn't work though, as they have that global membership stuff (Wouldn't translate well to other westwood centres)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Chances of them doing that is next to zero but they could increase charges for members who want access to Car Park 1…….

• Registered Users Posts: 14,120 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

i use the one in sandymount too, it has hardly any parking and it still manages to function ok.

In Fairness the Club in Clontarf is over 10 times the size the only in Sandy mount, if you don't include the tennis courts it's about 5 times the size.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

The only thing that's changed with WW with this development is the addition of the bike lane, they need to figure out a way to better protect that from traffic.

After that, sounds like a lot of the issues at the moment are the roadworks narrowing lanes, nce that's resolved hpefully it'll go back to functioning

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Very simple, put barriers on the car park (at least car park 1) and charge €20 per hour for parking.

I would point out that many people who use Westwood, do so by walking/cycling/public transport. It is in the middle of a dense residential area, where lots of people can walk to it from. It is a 10 minutes walk from a major growing business park that is also served by a free mini bus. DART station right next to it, multiple bus lanes and now one of the cities busiest bike lanes. You really can't get a much better connected gym for walking/cycling/PT.

Of course they could always look into build a multi storey car park at either car park 1 or 2. Maybe do a three way deal with DCC, Irish Rail and Westwood to develop the two car parks next to the DART station into a shared multi storey car park and close the one in front of the Gym.

John and Mary have paid €100,000 for their Audi Q7.... they're not going to be using public transport, nor are they gonna pay for parking. There are ALOT of very expensive cars in the Westwood car park day to day.

Westwood would lose a lot of customers if they did that. They're already way over priced when compared with Gym's like Flyefit (They're carrying 90's/Celtic tiger bloat).

Realistically it's to big a premises in the wrong place. I think multistory would be an option but again that comes back to paying.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

If you put paid parking in, they will have to pay or leave their car home, simple as that.

Tough if they aren't happy with it and tough on Westwood if they aren't, neither have a god given right to block bus lanes and cycle lanes.

BTW I'd disagree that high earners don't use public transport, lots of folks with high paying jobs using the DART on the way too and from work, etc.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The problem is not one of payment, public transport, spaces or whatever. It is simply one where people driving there feel they have the right to block the bus lane, the cycle path and the foot path. The gardai pretty much don't want to be bothered with it and the WW management don't care (and don't want to annoy their members by asking them to obey the law).

WW need to be encouraging members to use the overflow car park (by choosing it before the main car park) and not creating traffic obstructions. How they do that though is really up to them but the council should be penalising them otherwise.

• Advertisement

You do that via barriers and paid parking. Basically the issue is too many people trying to park in car park 1, thus leading to queues.

By making it €20 [1] per hour for car park 1 (while free for car park 2) you encourage less people to use car park 1 (the price sensitive ones) and thus eliminate the queues.

[1] doesn't need to be €20, could be €5 or €50, whatever the price needs to be so that car park 1 is never full and thus no queues.

It is the same concept how congestion charging works or the tolls on the port tunnel. The aim isn't to stop everyone from using them, but to reduce usage to a sustainable level.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You do that via barriers and paid parking. Basically the issue is too many people trying to park in car park 1, thus leading to queues.

You will still get the seflish entitled tossers sitting in their cars on the bus lane & cycle path while they wait the half hour for the barrier to lift.

The point would be to set the parking charge high enough so that the car park is never full, so there would be no waiting at the barrier, there would always be space available in the car park.

You're just mving the problem 10m down the road then bk, you block up the footpath/buslane at car park 2

I get the feeling a lot of peoples issue with WW is that it's an expensive gym, nearly every comment is centred around money, "Audi Q7s", "high earners", "celtic tiger" etc. It's no different to the SuperValu in Killester, which also blocks footpaths, bus lanes with the entrance. End of the day, everythign has to coexist

No, the problem is blocking the bus / cycle lanes for long periods of time. Doesn't matter how expensive or not the car is!

I disagree it would be just moving the problem 10meters down. There is enough space in car park 2, it is just many people are too lazy to walk from it. I'd often see people queuing for a full car park 1, while there are plenty of free spaces in car park 2.

If you put paid parking on car park 1, then you better balance the utility between the two car parks. Price sensitive members would be more likely to use he free parking at car park 2, while the lazy ones can pay €20 or whatever to park next to the door.

This really isn't rocket science.

It's no different to the SuperValu in Killester, which also blocks footpaths, bus lanes with the entrance. End of the day, everythign has to coexist

Which is really why we need across the board improvements to enforcement.

Automated cameras on buses and fixed too polls automatically issuing fines. Put these cameras outside both Westwood and Killester and wherever else it is needed.

If you aren't happy with charging for parking, then another solution.

Barriers on car park 1, that only close when the car park is full. But here is the important bit, when this happens, car park 1 remains closed for the next hour or 2, even if some cars leave. Signs clearly showing that car park 1 is closed for the next hour or two.

Would stop people from queueing and would push people to use car park 2 instead at busy times.

100% agree that high earners use public transport but generally speaking it's the work commute. Not for Non-work activities

Both Westwood and DCC/Garda think it's the other problem.

It's messy

Car park 2 is queing at mornings and evenings too now, it blocks the bus getting into the dart station quite a bit recently, which is a pain in the hole.

I don't know what the solution is but lets be realistic, nobody can mandate a private company (westwood) on whether they charge people to use the carpar or not. You're a clever poster and experienced at transport infrastructure, there has to be a solution that's feasible

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Indeed, Westwood has recently invested a fair amount in upgrading the facilities at Clontarf, and this has resulted in far more cars parking there. Car Park 2 is noticeably fuller at all times of the day, while car park 1 is almost always full.

I believe that both carparks are still owned by DCC, not just car park 2, and DCC could probably use that to extract concessions from Westwood. The thing is though, there's no easy solution that I can see. People want to drive there, and no one wants to pay for the enforcement required to stop this kind of inconsiderate queueing.

• Advertisement

Except car park 2 is actually owned by DCC and thus public property, so you'd have to ask why the public taxpayer is allowing an expensive private gym to use this car park?

While strictly speaking you can't force a private company to do anything, the authorities can certainly take various actions that would hurt said private company if they didn't play ball.

For instance DCC could easily pull the use of car park 2 and the NTA install automated bus lane fine cameras outside and leave them deal with the fallout of greatly reduced car park capacity.

So really it is very much in their interest to work with DCC, NTA and the Gardai on coming up with a solution.

Probably the best solution would be for them to build a multi-storey car park. Ironically if DCC weren't leaving them use car park 2 for a song, they would likely have already been forced to do that by now.

True but they often combine them both. Use the gym before or after work and then get the DART to/from home before/after.

For instance a lot of folk would get the shuttle bus from East Point Business Park to the DART station, walk to the gym to use it and then walk back to the DART station after to get the DART home or vice versa in the morning.

I didn't realise Car park 1 was also owned by DCC, well that completely changes things!

I believe that both carparks are still owned by DCC, not just car park 2

I don't think they do. I stand to be corrected though.

I didn't realise Car park 1 was also owned by DCC, well that completely changes things!

I'm not sure how, cause neither of them seem to care all that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Westwood joining fee is €90.

It will have 4 lanes in total. There was a good layout posted about that section to social media a couple months ago. I saved it somewhere. I’ll have a look and dig it out. Illustrated the old layout, current working layout, and the plan. More work on the cycle path boundary has been done since, which just makes it clearer.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I think DCC still own the site, or so I was recently told. It must be a longer term lease for Westwood if that's the case, but again, I may be mistaken on that front.

It's in here:

Dublin Inquirer are usually pretty good with sourcing their stories, so I assume this part is true:

Templeville Developments, trading as West Wood Club, leases both the car park directly at the club – and another on the other side of the Dart tracks – from the council. 

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

could we move the "what should we do about Westwood Clontarf" discussion to it's own thread?

There's pages and pages of it at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Kincora2017

It’s different to the SV in Killester. The SV has a far higher turnover of people coming and going at any time. You don’t get that level of turnover at WW.

BTW, the cycle lane in Fairview Park alongside the Tolka river between Alfie Byrne Road and Fairview is open. Looks like some signage etc. to do yet, but you can cycle it now. A nice addition.

The cycle lane along Alfie Byrne Road from East Point Business Park and down through East Wall is progressing too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,872 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Be great to have a cycle path along the Tolka connecting Fairview and Drumcondra…..

Assume it’d be pricey tho.

Advertisement