Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

150KTubs - future career in Virgin Radio and other soulful pursuits **Mod: Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

It's an unfathomable mystery how this stuff is broadcast to a UK audience on the daily from a commercial radio station that requires listeners to listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Perhaps he's very popular in South West Asia?

Regards...jmcc

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I want to think I misheard but I am pretty sure I didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭Tork

It's an unfathomable mystery how a grown man in his fifties doesn't know how to read the room. Imagine what the threads would be like here if one of our stations took on a British DJ who couldn't stop going on about rugby league, Cornwall Airport and his mission to visit every Easons in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

He might do a good impression of a dope, but he isn't one. He doesn't give a toss about London or a UK audience. He has no interest in building a career there. He is effectively broadcasting an Irish radio show to an Irish audience from London.

The plan HAS to be a hasty retreat back to Irish media sooner rather than later. His ego won't allow him to sign a contract with Offaly FM for 50k pa, so the question is, if not RTE welcoming him back into the bosom of public service broadcasting, then who will take him on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

I heard it and a friend heard it in disbelief that he was yabbing on about Monsignor Horan and the building of Knock Airport.

Additionally he seems unprepared in every speech break and reverts to talking about D4, Irish things or pubs that are local to him in Monkstown or in Dublin 4.

He feigned enthusiasm for the rugby on Sunday but again never prepared anything - so he just sounds like a fool when talking about sport.

Senior hurling indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,343 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

And he also had about as much charisma as a mouldy biscuit….

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

So, curious, I did the same. Typed in Ryan Tabridy and went to Latest.

This story popped up on over 50% of posts showing up on a scroll down of 50+ posts....

It's a news churn bot as were all the rest that I clicked on.

On a brief check on these posters I didn't see any other Irish related stories that they'd promoted recently. Just this one story on numerous bot sites all promoting this one Irish based story.

I dont know how paying for Bot promotion works but could it be the Irish Indo throwing a few quid into a Sri Lankan Bot farm to move their stories up...if so they only appear to be promoting this story.

Or, heaven forbid, could it be Tubs' people paying for this promotion? Surely even he wouldn't use the death of a child to show himself in a good light? Surely not?

Hopefully someone here knows better than I how these promotions work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭tom23

indo don’t need a bot farm for Ryan.. they promote him more than Knowl does.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,757 ✭✭✭leath_dub

Ryan is really thriving. The UK have mined a real gem. It' s effortless. We're never getting him back. He's outgrown us now. 🙄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭TheBMG

Ryan really seems to be doing reverse tansplaining at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,594 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

He reminds me of Phil Dunphy in Modern Family, not sure why.

"Or, heaven forbid, could it be Tubs' people paying for this promotion? Surely even he wouldn't use the death of a child to show himself in a good light? Surely not?"

It is devastating the death in such a tragic manner of such a young beautiful soul. Tubridy and RTE's use of her passing as a way to make themselves "look good" is nothing short of outrageous.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,017 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I was having a good chat with a producer that had the Craic with Paul McCartney and he said "Paul McCartney hates Paul McCartney " said he's really sound, loves nature , is in Ireland a lot due to his love of nature , but finds fanboys annoying and would prefer to chat away without out

So therefore no interest in Tubs 😀😀

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Some time ago, Tubs had Russel Crowe on with him, and they had great banter, and it seemed like they were great mates. I remember thinking at the time, as much as I dont like the guy, fair play to him for getting Russel Crowe on the show.

I just heard Russel Crowe on with Anton Savage on NewsTalk. A similar kind of friendly chat, just without Anton pretending they are BFFs. Russle Crowe it sems it just a friendly guy who will chat away to anyone.

So, not that I needed any, but further evidence that Tubs is as genuine as a Victorian era digital watch.

• AnywAn get reading Tubs’ Sunday ramblings?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,017 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

100% about saorise

Spent some time staring into the middle distance pondering the death of a child etc

I wonder who he is referring to at the opening 🤔

https://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/artsandculture/arid-41346806.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭tom23

knowl won’t be happy with that…

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Neferteena

I don't usually punish myself on Mondays, but i list the run of myself today & listened to the Prattle Master in dispatches.

To say he was in overdrive is an understatement. Acting like Charlie in Willie Wonkas chocolate factory having been to Twickers for the first time. A strange debut for an allegedly seasoned rugby fan, whose brother works in the industry.

He overstepped the mark when discussing the Princess of Wales picture. Bragged ad infinitum of his weekend, minute by boring minute. Launched into a diatribe of Oscar winners he previously interviewed. Most sentences unfinished. Me, my, mine, I dominate his narrative. The vocal levels cover multiple octaves in a 7 word sentence. And I use the word sentence with a stretch.

If this twit feels he's sitting pretty in London on an obscure rain channel, until Virgin give him a TV gig in Ireland, he's deluded. I'd say that his Plan A, hence the poor engagement with the English listenership. However, he's negated to factor in that's likely contingent on him improving & polishing his brand & growing his audience. None of which he's doing, he thinks the door will swing own for him automatically. These radio shows just walk him further out of the picture. I don't rate Brian Dowling, & think he's innately unsuitable for TV. But Christ Tubs is 10 times worse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭hawley

If he was still in RTE, he'd be on third week off at this stage of the year. He has worked every week so far with Virgin Radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,757 ✭✭✭leath_dub

He'd be off for all of next week for sure, what with the bank holiday being next Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭JVince

quite funny reading the posts from the Tubridy hater club - you all listen to him so intently.

Come out of the closest and accept you love him - as that's the only explanation for the fervent listening to him day in and day out. I'm almost thinking some of you record his programme to listen back to.

Tis great entertainment.

• reading this thread always gives me a laugh. Ohh I really don’t care about him yet I listen to him daily (but to disguise it I’ll make sure to say something like a bird flew into my house and changed the dial) and then post fanatically about him each day and also spend hours every week googling his name and come up with theories. Strange stuff. I’d say the dictionary would describe it with a word beginning with s…….

its mainly the same crowd who fanatically followed him when he did the lls and posted each Friday night into the small hours.

I could never understand it, and even less so now seeing as he’s tucked away in London out of their way, but these posters still go out of their way to fanatically follow him, if you don’t like something and have the choice to avoid then for your mental health avoid it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭GSF

It’s a radio forum. People talk about radio shows. What else do you want people here to discuss?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭yagan

I never listened to him, still don't, but as a fall from grace story it is gripping.

I follow the thread for the latest on the Barter account boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,594 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I see Callan started taking the holidays already, after only 2 full weeks in the job

Those jobs in Rte are handy, Tubs must be really missing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

This thread is great, as is the entire radio forum. Full of very eccentric posters. I mean that in the best possible way. I do find the concept of “hate listening” to be utterly bizarre, but the world isn’t always rational.

Advertisement