Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - New season title pending....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

Are you saying that Healy could have played for Munster while being capped for Scotland and he wouldn't count as NIQ.

Lowe came in, got capped even with having issues to his defence to resolve, posters here are claiming Frisch can't get a look in because of his age and that he has defensive issues with his game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Our starting centre pairing is Nankivell and Frisch.

Fionn Gibbons in the academy (21yo - 6'4" 16 stone), and Sean O'Brien (25yo - 6'1.5" 16 stone) haven't been given enough of an opportunity to show what they could do in my opinion.

I don't see the value of persisting with Scannell anymore.

I'd like to see what Daly or Coombes could do in the 13 jersey.

I've said it before but Zebo has the x-factor that could unlock a defence from 13, his defence would be targetted by opposition, but I'd like to see it tried sometime.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I'm saying he chose to leave to get international experience as Ireland were (correctly) not selecting him in squads. We will never know whether he would have been allowed stay as it never came up. Having an NIQ as backup 10 would hardly be the end of the world, but if international gametime was his goal he was always going to want to leave as Scotland wouldn't select him otherwise. Frisch and Kleyn could, in theory, play international rugby while staying at Munster so it is a different consideration. Loosening NIQ rules would help the latter, but not the former.

I am surmising that that is why Frisch is not being selected. But what is clear is that he is rated behind at least 4, and up to 6 other options at the moment. That is the reason he is not being selected.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭jcon1913

So nothing to back up your argument? Just dismissed. Dismal performance.

I think it's very safe to assume that Healy would certainly not be allowed stay in Munster as a NIQ. But that wasn't even my point, my point, was even if he was allowed, he shouldn't be counted as a NIQ player as the IRFU didn't need him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

I think that @pickarooney is pointing out that citing 2 positions with players from different national teams is not evidence of having 2 'world class' players for every one of 15 positions.

Arguably, in your model, we should have 3 'world class' players for the front row positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,419 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

From a depth POV, Ireland have 1 fully fledged 13 who is currently injured so we're playing Henshaw at 13 when his preferred position is 12

Aki is an inside centre and so is McCloskey

In a matchday 23, or even a squad for a tournament like the RWC where you can't cover every position, the centres can cover each other, or even have 'utility backs' covering one or both centre positions, but Ireland have no dedicated cover for Ringrose at 13, and for this reason, Frisch should absolutely have been brought in as a like for like cover for GR when he became injured instead of shoehorning in Henshaw there just because he can do a job there if needed

In the 6 nations, there are no rules about squad sizes, so Farrell, for reasons known to himself as he always does, just hoped for the best and thought he can just move players around when injuries arise (Henshaw playing out of position last weekend might have been some explanation for why he didn't play particularly well, and we were exposed by England)

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭jcon1913

we need great backup for every position. I put forward a theory, backed up with examples and the reply is bluster. no examples, no facts just “I’m right and you’re wrong because I say so “

• Registered Users Posts: 22,419 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

That's your opinion about 'talent' but here is more to it than that. Kendellen has been made the Munster captain on multiple occ

asions this season, he has an edge and a bite to him that has been identified as a valuable attribute that he brings to the table, even if he is not necessarily the biggest player on the pitch in his position, you need to balance out your back row and he does have some qualities that others do not have. Kendellan was just as outstanding at underage level as Quinn and Gleeson have been, and just like Kendellan, it will take a Quinn and Gleeson a few years for them to grow into Senior rugby and find their place on the team

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I find it way way more unlikely that france and south africa are slumming it than we are just way too narrow in our talent ID. It just seems way more plausible that way.

• Advertisement

Nankivell would take 4 more years. If Frisch plays for france, yes you need to choose between him and nankivell next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Shehal

I disagree with that for the simple reason that the players that France/SA took are playing in positions that they have questionable level of quality or just unproven players in those positions.

irish fans have some sort of delusion at lock. Beirne is the only guy who sniffs a south african 23 and prob at 6.

Henshaw played at 13 for the Lions...

Whether he is being pushed into 13 or not, there is absolutely zero doubt in the coaches minds (and mine for whatever it is worth) that he is better there than Frisch. And this is still ignoring Hume, who I have a feeling is ahead of AF in the pecking order also though that is less clear. I suspect you would be in quite a small minority globally of people who would advocate for Frisch over an Aki/Henshaw centre partnership.

Frisch appears to be a very good squad player who Ireland are just not that interested in. He's probably on the fringes, but given the caliber of the 4 centres ahead of him there is no shame in that. There is really nothing more to it than that.

I feel like no on ever gets this point but the more to it is that 4 players isn't actually that deep and that 27 isn't that old. Guys have improved after that age especially when they have elite level physical talent which he does.

We lose out on all that possibility for the price of a cap and now france potentially gets it. Its wasteful.

Ireland have 11 or 12 tests a year. The price of a cap is actually reasonably high. Also, it is not just 4 players. Osborne and Hume are younger than Frisch and have had time invested in them as the next available options also.

This is just not an issue for Ireland. Ireland and France exchanging 6th choice centres is not a big deal. I can see how it is an issue for Munster and I have sympathy for having issues with the NIQ rules.

That's 6. Aki, Henshaw, McCloskey, Ringrose, Hume and Osborne.

3 of those are over thirty, ringrose and hume only play 13, and we have no idea of osborne's best position yet.

Sure maybe, I don't think that is an unreasonable point. But it would mean weighting provincial interested higher than Irish ones as that is what the (deliberately vague) NIQ rules are about.

But it's also meaningless in terms of Healy as he was never going to stay as he needed to leave to play for Scotland.

Healy as he was never going to stay as he needed to leave to play for Scotland.

Here are are a list of players in the current 6Ns Scotland Squad that play their rugby outside of Scotland.

Josh Bayliss – Bath Rugby (5)

Andy Christie – Saracens (4)

Alec Hepburn – Exeter Chiefs (uncapped)

Will Hurd – Leicester Tigers (uncapped)

Adam Hastings – Gloucester Rugby (27)

Rory Hutchinson – Northampton Saints (8)

Blair Kinghorn – Toulouse (50)

Cameron Redpath – Bath Rugby (9)

Arron Reed – Sale Sharks (uncapped)

Finn Russell – Bath Rugby (75)

Ben White – Toulon (18)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Scotland have no depth. They've a small pool to select from. The majority of the squad is foreign. Different aspect to Scotland than to Ireland. We have better resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

By the same logic france and south africa have monsterous pools relatively to us

• Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Rather than eating your blue beret, why not promise to do something as crazy as FF did when he said Kleyn would never play for SA.

If Frisch doesn't get picked for France, then I'm coming out of retirement

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Why not include Carbery? Farrell not picking him lately has essentially led to him leaving Munster, despite Scotland doing him a favour by removing Healy from the equation.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Agreed, the cost of a cap is high outside of tours during Lions years. Giving a spot in the squad and capture cap against one of the few weaker nations means someone else doesn't get their opportunity, usually one of the up and coming players dying for it. For example, I doubt Casey or many posters here would be happy if he missed out playing for Ireland due to McGrath being dropped in to get another cap in case Canada decided to call him up.

Munster have been a huge net beneficiary with these qualified players who came in with one of the main draws being the potential to play for Ireland. Then there is the next level of support the IRFU has given in the likes of Jager where the IRFU and AF himself helped to get him over, and are apparently paying a portion of his salary.

There is always a risk that some of these players brought in wouldn't be deemed good enough for a cap but overall the approach has been a huge positive for Munster (and the other provinces but that belongs in other threads). Always a jump to see the negative it seems.

Fair point, I was not clear. I think he felt he needed to move to be first choice somewhere to get selected for Scotland. I mean, ultimately he moved to Edinburgh before becoming NIQ.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

There are at least 6 players ahead of him at centre for France though. Maybe he'll wow the selectors over the next few days and leapfrog some of Danty, Fickou, Moefana, Depoortere, Gailleton and Barassi

• Registered Users Posts: 9,168 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Yes Nankivell will be Irish Qualified in 4 years, it depends on whether the IRFU see that as being meaningful or not in the grand scheme of things. Considering how they screwed us over on the Snyman situation I think we should have a bit of goodwill coming our way from the IRFU

In any case I think it's a non-issue. I don't think Frisch will get picked to play for France this weekend. In the very unlikely scenario that he did, the French clubs would be putting in money offers, bigger than what Munster could offer. The training is nothing more than a very well thought out stunt by either him, the French coaches or both

I mean exactly, france are cultivating depth below that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Best case scenario... is he doesn't get picked for France, Farrell calls him up in future tour (if deserved of course - I think people are making more of his defensive issues than are there to be honest, more blips than the norm for me - but let's see how the rest of the season goes)? Enables him to stay at Munster where he's been a really good signing. (oh and FFF remains true to his original word? 🤐)

Advertisement