Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clontarf to City Centre Cycle & Bus Priority Project discussion (renamed)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,417 ✭✭✭Shedite27

You're just mving the problem 10m down the road then bk, you block up the footpath/buslane at car park 2

I get the feeling a lot of peoples issue with WW is that it's an expensive gym, nearly every comment is centred around money, "Audi Q7s", "high earners", "celtic tiger" etc. It's no different to the SuperValu in Killester, which also blocks footpaths, bus lanes with the entrance. End of the day, everythign has to coexist

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

No, the problem is blocking the bus / cycle lanes for long periods of time. Doesn't matter how expensive or not the car is!

I disagree it would be just moving the problem 10meters down. There is enough space in car park 2, it is just many people are too lazy to walk from it. I'd often see people queuing for a full car park 1, while there are plenty of free spaces in car park 2.

If you put paid parking on car park 1, then you better balance the utility between the two car parks. Price sensitive members would be more likely to use he free parking at car park 2, while the lazy ones can pay €20 or whatever to park next to the door.

This really isn't rocket science.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

It's no different to the SuperValu in Killester, which also blocks footpaths, bus lanes with the entrance. End of the day, everythign has to coexist

Which is really why we need across the board improvements to enforcement.

Automated cameras on buses and fixed too polls automatically issuing fines. Put these cameras outside both Westwood and Killester and wherever else it is needed.

If you aren't happy with charging for parking, then another solution.

Barriers on car park 1, that only close when the car park is full. But here is the important bit, when this happens, car park 1 remains closed for the next hour or 2, even if some cars leave. Signs clearly showing that car park 1 is closed for the next hour or two.

Would stop people from queueing and would push people to use car park 2 instead at busy times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

100% agree that high earners use public transport but generally speaking it's the work commute. Not for Non-work activities

Both Westwood and DCC/Garda think it's the other problem.

It's messy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,417 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Car park 2 is queing at mornings and evenings too now, it blocks the bus getting into the dart station quite a bit recently, which is a pain in the hole.

I don't know what the solution is but lets be realistic, nobody can mandate a private company (westwood) on whether they charge people to use the carpar or not. You're a clever poster and experienced at transport infrastructure, there has to be a solution that's feasible

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Indeed, Westwood has recently invested a fair amount in upgrading the facilities at Clontarf, and this has resulted in far more cars parking there. Car Park 2 is noticeably fuller at all times of the day, while car park 1 is almost always full.

I believe that both carparks are still owned by DCC, not just car park 2, and DCC could probably use that to extract concessions from Westwood. The thing is though, there's no easy solution that I can see. People want to drive there, and no one wants to pay for the enforcement required to stop this kind of inconsiderate queueing.

Except car park 2 is actually owned by DCC and thus public property, so you'd have to ask why the public taxpayer is allowing an expensive private gym to use this car park?

While strictly speaking you can't force a private company to do anything, the authorities can certainly take various actions that would hurt said private company if they didn't play ball.

For instance DCC could easily pull the use of car park 2 and the NTA install automated bus lane fine cameras outside and leave them deal with the fallout of greatly reduced car park capacity.

So really it is very much in their interest to work with DCC, NTA and the Gardai on coming up with a solution.

Probably the best solution would be for them to build a multi-storey car park. Ironically if DCC weren't leaving them use car park 2 for a song, they would likely have already been forced to do that by now.

True but they often combine them both. Use the gym before or after work and then get the DART to/from home before/after.

For instance a lot of folk would get the shuttle bus from East Point Business Park to the DART station, walk to the gym to use it and then walk back to the DART station after to get the DART home or vice versa in the morning.

I didn't realise Car park 1 was also owned by DCC, well that completely changes things!

I believe that both carparks are still owned by DCC, not just car park 2

I don't think they do. I stand to be corrected though.

I didn't realise Car park 1 was also owned by DCC, well that completely changes things!

I'm not sure how, cause neither of them seem to care all that much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Westwood joining fee is €90.

It will have 4 lanes in total. There was a good layout posted about that section to social media a couple months ago. I saved it somewhere. I’ll have a look and dig it out. Illustrated the old layout, current working layout, and the plan. More work on the cycle path boundary has been done since, which just makes it clearer.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I think DCC still own the site, or so I was recently told. It must be a longer term lease for Westwood if that's the case, but again, I may be mistaken on that front.

It's in here:

Dublin Inquirer are usually pretty good with sourcing their stories, so I assume this part is true:

Templeville Developments, trading as West Wood Club, leases both the car park directly at the club – and another on the other side of the Dart tracks – from the council. 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,026 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

could we move the "what should we do about Westwood Clontarf" discussion to it's own thread?

There's pages and pages of it at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Kincora2017

It’s different to the SV in Killester. The SV has a far higher turnover of people coming and going at any time. You don’t get that level of turnover at WW.

BTW, the cycle lane in Fairview Park alongside the Tolka river between Alfie Byrne Road and Fairview is open. Looks like some signage etc. to do yet, but you can cycle it now. A nice addition.

The cycle lane along Alfie Byrne Road from East Point Business Park and down through East Wall is progressing too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,907 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Be great to have a cycle path along the Tolka connecting Fairview and Drumcondra…..

Assume it’d be pricey tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

No room on either Richmond Road or Clonliffe Road. Where would you put it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭hamburgham

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭hamburgham

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,907 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Along the Tolka……

Hence the “along the Tolka” and “assume it would be pricey”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭AngryLips

If they made Richmond Road a one-way street then there'd be enough space for a two-way cycle lane. That road is not fit for purpose for any type of road user at the moment.

Christ, yes! The number of times I've watched cars mount the footpath, close calls with pedestrians, the road covered in broken glass and bumpers. etc.

A very dangerous road, not fit for purpose at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭AngryLips

There's no reason it even needs to be a two-way street. You have Clonliffe Road and Griffith Avenue a stone's throw away. Or better still, just make it a cul-de-sac for vehicular traffic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,968 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I don't think it would be necessary to make all of Richmond Road one-way to provide cycle lanes, maybe just the middle part. The cycle lanes would have to be along the road on the south half of Richmond Road but it could turn in towards the river between Richmond Hall and the dilapidated stone building. Use the existing bridge to Distillery Road and then continue north through the GAA lands.

South of Convent Ave is probably wide enough for cycle lanes if the petrol station was bought out and the scrub between road and river removed. Could then be one-way between Convent Ave and GPR. That removes conplaints of having to drive a long way in the other direction to go somewhere close which is against the one-way. I can't see the whole thing being made one-way and it's probably not a battle worth fighting.

South of the Luke Kelly Bridge, you probably have to wait for major works on the flats on Poplar Row, then a linear park could be created along the river.

That removes conplaints of having to drive a long way in the other direction to go somewhere close which is against the one-way.

Not to disagree with what you are saying in general, but I just wanted to point out the hypocrisy of this, motorists complaining about having to drive a bit further, when pedestrians and cyclists are forced to travel long distances all over the city due to lack of permeability between streets and estates.

For instance I live about 200 meters as the bird flies from a major bus stop and shops, that I instead have to walk 10 minutes to get to them because of a stupid wall (and just grass both sides) between two housing developments.

I wonder why we worry about the complaints of motorists, while completely ignoring pedestrians and cyclists needs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,968 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

That's a completely separate issue and really has nothing to do with what I said. The estates you are talking about were built like that because that is the way things were done at the time. It could be changed and there'd likely be Local Authority support but I'm sure there would be a lot of opposition from the residents. That is a local issue and has nothing to do with the merits of changing traffic flows elsewhere. The common theme is resistance to change, even logical change but after that, the situations aren't comparable.

A proposal to make Richmond Road one-way would undoubtedly be met with huge opposition. There is a significant number of businesses and people living on or just off Richmond Road plus healthcare facilities. It would also push all traffic onto the road on one end. The is little benefit to making it one-way compared to the other consequences.

As I said, if the goal is to provide a cycle route along the Tolka then there are better options actually along the river, away from traffic and unlikely to face much opposition.

The issues on Richmond Road go far beyond just a cycle route. Richmond Road is simply dangerous as is and not fit for purpose. Even if you don't put a cycle lane near it, it still needs to be made one way, just to make it safe, specially as an increasing number of new apartments being built on it.

Frankly it doesn't matter if locals object, it simply isn't safe and it needs to be fixed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Somebody should invent a device to brighten up an area in the dark.

We could call it a "light".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Another street that could do with being made 1 way and installing a contra flow cycle lane would Vernon Avenue between Nolans supermarket and the seafront.

There is a proposal to install a segregated cycle way from the Artane roundabout, down Brookwood Avenue, Sybil Hill and Vernon Avenue, and just when you get to a point where you can see the C2C cycleway we will be asked to divert down Kincora Road and Castle Avenue instead. Naturally, any sensible person will cycle straight down the road in front of them to join up with C2C.

I'd go further again and copy what has been done in Malahide, and pedestrianise the street outside Beshoffs et al during the summer months, to facilitate outdoor dining from the plethora of restaurants in that section.

But then Mrs Murphy won't be able to drive to the pharmacy beside Beshoff that she likes , or Johnny can't lash his car up on the path outside San Sab with his hazards on while he collects a takeaway.

Zero ambition in this city.

Advertisement