Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Case Review of Sophie Tuscan du Plantier murder to proceed. **Threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭tomhammer..

It would help to clarify if there's specific persons she has in mind or not

No need for names

If there's nobody specific the statement re: " others are more likely" doesn't carry much weight as it's merely speculative in that case rather than a specific suspicion

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭bjsc

No - you've misunderstood. What I have said is that I could make a better case against other suspects, with more evidence to back it up, than the police ever did against Bailey. My point is that no one else was ever seriously considered and T.I.E.'d (trace, interview, eliminate) on the Garda had set their sights on Bailey.

Anything is possible and one should never say "never" but somethings are infinitely more possible than others.

Personally I do have a specific person or people in mind as, I'm sure, have many of you. Be it Ian Bailey or someone else. But I have said on numerous occasions I am not so foolish as to name them on a public forum.

I could make a better case against lots of persons if there was evidence?

In the absence of evidence these persons are not suspects and not as likely therefore as Bailey

Is there evidence that these persons neighbours etc. weren't TIEd ?

That's all highly speculative and doesn't carry much weight

It's not sufficient to state that others are more likely only that others area "possibility" as you now say

You're merely stating the obvious

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

To be fair they did trace, interview and eliminate a lot of suspects. A lot of suspects had alibis that were relatively supported or provable, eg former French boyfriend. A small number didn't have alibis but were ruled out as not really having anything to indicate they were involved. To take one example of this, the German suspect Wolney had no alibi. But he denied ever knowing or meeting Sophie and there's been no evidence they knew each other or were seen together, or that she mentioned him in her journal.

One of the supposed pieces of "evidence" against him is a rumour that he told someone "I did something awful". But unless this is in a statement to gardai, its very weak. We've seen how easy it is to make up rumours on here, Shirley being allowed go to the dump, Baileys car forensically searched, etc. A rumour is not really evidence.

On the otherhand much of the evidence against Bailey came from Bailey's own mouth and was recorded from court appearances, forensic evidence, and his false alibi. But I'm open minded, if strong actual evidence is presented, eg another suspect who was shown to have fabricated an alibi.

• Advertisement

It took a while to get there but thanks for the clarification

It seems that no matter what I say it is either wrong or misinterpreted. I have made my position clear from the start and have never wavered from that. I am aware that you all want me to name names but that is not going to happen.

Incorrect

Me anyway wanted to know if it related to specific persons

It's not clear how you would know persons weren't TIEd without access to the case file

They may indeed have been TIE'd but their statements, even those of people who were suspects at the time, appear more as witness statements rather than a thorough investigation of their alibis. Whereas within a week of the murder the Garda interaction with Bailey was on a completely different level.

If you have specific questions I am happy to answer them but this back and forth serves no purpose. My only aim is, and always has been, to try and get to the truth no matter where it lies.

• Advertisement

The back and forth is for an obvious reason

I'm not trying to hammer you into submission or anything

You said they weren't tied and now maybe they were

• Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭chooseusername

@bjsc Your patience is admirable!

To give you some reprieve; have you any thoughts on the statements of Gardas Prendeville and Byrne and Dr O’Connor that some blood on the victim appeared newer and fresher than other blood around the site?

From my experience of murder investigations it just seems to me that the TIE process was perhaps not as rigorous as it should have been.

Firstly, the most extraordinary thing is that no-one checked to see whether she was still alive. Admittedly it was unlikely but it is still the first thing one should do unless the body is decomposing, skeletonised etc etc. If someone had touched her to see if she was breathing we would at least have had an indication of body temperature I.e. was she warm or cold. Even Dr O'Connor who pronounced life extinct appears not to have touched her or checked for rigour. Harbison said that had she died that morning she would have been warm to the touch, implying that she was cold, but I have no idea where that information came from. And a forensic pathologist, who I have discussed the case with at great length, is of the opinion that given the ambient temperature her body would have cooled rapidly in any event so if she were cold to the touch after 10.30 it would not be of any particular significance in determining time of death.

And incidentally I have no issue with being challenged and am happy to admit when and if I am proved wrong. The failure to do so has led to many miscarriages of justice. But I am talking about facts not supposition and speculation.

There's a lot of posters claiming to talk facts on this thread

The facts are not always factual when probed further

• Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭chooseusername

"Firstly, the most extraordinary thing is that no-one checked to see whether she was still alive"

Strange alright, there was no mention of calling an ambulance, and the word murder was over the airwaves before the first Garda car arrived.

My point exactly. There was a huge amount of blood but apparently no one actually tried to help her or establish that she wasn't breathing. Head wounds bleed like the very devil but that does not necessarily indicate that the victim is deceased

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭jesuisjuste

I think if you are truly open-minded you should be able to think about this contemporaneously (instead of looking back from the present time), and then work your way forward through the days weeks and years and see if the conclusions drawn at the time made sense. You may not agree about there being more viable suspect(s) today, but I think there was a point early in the investigation (minimally at least the first couple of days) when there were at least a couple of more viable suspects than Bailey, and varying evidence on the scene that had not been tied to anyone at that point, including forensics. Without naming them, is this statement something you agree with?

Following this, some of this evidence could be tied to people who were higher likelihood suspects, but who then were eliminated one-by-one, some of them for (publicly at least) unknown, or what some people would consider, unsatisfactory reasons. As time went forward over the next week or so, the Gardai converged on Bailey as the prime suspect. It has never been clarified when/how each of the other suspects had been eliminated, and how Bailey emerged as the prime suspect, and ultimately (within a matter of only a few further days) the only suspect.

I think the point many are making here is that once Bailey had been identified as the only suspect by the people doing the investigation, then any further evidence would only ever further implicate him, so evidence (if there was any, I'm not saying there was) that may have further implicated another candidate was not looked at (this is also speculative though).

If we want true justice for Sophie (as per the title of the thread), that is not just having a belief in something and trying to convince others, it is proving the person who did it. In addition, should that proof not be forthcoming, the next best thing is identifying those who "purposefully" went around perverting the course of justice. This could then uncover further evidence. If it was Bailey who did it, there are individuals surrounding him who almost certainly perverted the course of justice to protect him. However, likewise, if it happens to not have been him, there are different individuals who perverted the course of justice to try to convict him. In addition there is the potential conviction of the true perpetrator (should it not be Bailey).

Alfie said he did not even approach the body, so he had no way of confirming if she was alive or not. Shirley had to have made the conclusion that she was dead, and Alfie must have presumably relied on her word at this point to not approach. I don't believe Shirley tried to find a pulse though? Having said that I can understand Shirley getting the hell out of there in case the murderer was still around, and Alfie seeing the gruesomeness of the scene making the assumption she had passed already. It's really hard to know what one would do in this circumstance.

Either way though, it was possible that she would have still been barely alive at this time, regardless of the time of the actual event. Some people have survived from being shot in the head/face with a gun for example.

• Advertisement

Alfie actually didn't think it was Sophie at first and knocked on her door to warn her not to come out. There is of course a slim chance she was alive, but there is also the possibility that she was very obviously dead. I believe the head injuries alone were very severe.

In any case people react in different ways to events like this, some, probably experienced first responders would keep a cool head, but outside of people used to it, there'd likely be confusion and panic, or alternatively adrenelin kicks in. People react differently.

I can understand Alfie and Shirley's reaction but the Guards!?

I completely agree about how people react in these situations. There is something that you would expect someone should do vs what someone would do in these instances. From what I can gather Shirley and Alfie are mostly in the latter camp. Very few people are in the former, however to follow the thread for a moment what I would imagine one should do (if experienced enough) in this instance would be:

1. Look at the immediate surroundings for any threats or perpetrators, hidden or escaping
    2. Investigate the body for signs of life and administer any aid you can.
    3. Call for an ambulance, Gardai will automatically come in this case
    4. Check on other people in the vicinity

If it was overwhelming evidence that someone was dead, then there is not much point in aid or ambulance of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭tinytobe

Just wondering, would Tomi Ungerer or the Ungerers in general have had reason to killer her? Like having some kind of old score to settle? Did Tomi or the Ungerers have any run in with the law, something drug related?

Something we haven't thought about yet?

We know she visited them during her trip before Christmas. They knew that she was alone, and where the house was?

( remember these are all open minded questions...)

Sorry, what was the gaurds reaction? Its been said this was the first murder in the area in 100 years. So would any of the gardai on the scene have experience of coming across a murder scene similar to this before?

As I said theres a chance she was alive. However the injuries to her head alone would have been severe.

I really think we need to move away from the armchair general perspective. Unless someone was specifically on the scene there and then, they are only surmising. Agreed?

The topic is Justice for Sophie, and we are discussing the facts of the circumstances in the moments after her death. Where exactly would you like to move the discussion to?

No but they would have dealt with traffic collisions, suicides, cot deaths, accidental deaths and their first priority is to preserve life. The very least they should have done is to establish whether she was alive. And also to call an ambulance. The only person who can certify death is a medical professional. Until that time unless, as I said earlier the person is decomposed, skeletonised etc etc. no one has the right to assume they are deceased. People survive with horrendous injuries - you only have to think of Josie Russell - so no, I do not condone the actions of the police. I find your "armchair general perspective" comment patronising and demeaning so no I do not "agree".

As Mike Tyson famously said all plans go out the window when your punched in the mouth, or words to that effect. There's been an awful lot of nonsense thrown Shirleys way, and specifically people saying they would have done it differently or that her behaviour was odd. At one stage it was said she just continued on her way to the dump after finding the body. Complete nonsense of course. She came across a scene with quite an amount of blood loss and severe head injuries. At that point she would be forgiven for believing it was a dead body, regardless what people think 27 years later. Alfie called it in as a dead body.

The name of the thread is cold case review of sophie du plantier case to proceed.

• Advertisement

Fair enough:

"A cold case is a crime, or a suspected crime, that has not yet been fully resolved and is not the subject of a current criminal investigation but for which new information could emerge from new witness testimony, re-examined archives, new or retained material evidence, or fresh activities of a suspect."

Advertisement