Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment 2023/2024

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭runnerboy

I think the reason for them delays is the vetting process, especially if relatives are abroad in USA or Australia. By being abroad greatly slows down the process. Im just waying off do i go back to college next Sept or wait for an offer. Dont want to pay college fees and then to pull out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭XabiAlonso22

Ah ok I get that alot to process so if youre pretty straight forward as in haven't lived abroad etc....it shouldn't take too much time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭RarePhilosophy

I seen the most they took since Covid was around 174.

Edit: Badly worded. I’m referring to single intakes to Templemore that occur every 11weeks. Not all recruits since Covid.

Post edited by RarePhilosophy on

Does anyone know is it quicker if your vetting checks are in Europe or does it make a difference? E.g. UK , France , Spain ?

So looking at those figures for this round over 6000 applications and 167 places?

Sorry 174 I mean

I though you meant for the next intake in April. So basically every 11 weeks you have an intake of students. Templemore usually processes 3 different intakes at a time. Each intake at the college would be at a different phase (1-3). In phase 2 you would be on placement in station but still be classed as a student of the college.

For the entire campaign of 2024: Well, From the 2022 campaign for example, 838 recruits entered the Garda College from that campaign . So I would imagine it will be similar for the 2023 and 2024 campaigns.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 D-Reg14

For anyone wondering how you are contacted about medical results, I’ve been emailing and phoning for the last 8 weeks.Finally found out today I was signed off on the 5th of jan.There doesn’t seem to be a certain way of doing things. Some will get an email, some won’t.

Mine was signed off after as well and they didn’t tell me until I rang and asked Garda HR. I think they contact you if there is an issue with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 D-Reg14

Yes but others I know have received emails saying they have passed.some of the HR staff will tell you nothing others are more helpful .

Yes , absolutely this. Some are brilliant and others just tell you the same ‘case by case basis’. You could ring them every couple of weeks and you’d get someone decent eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Murphy2024

So does anyone know how many they take from each recruitment drive? i'm guessing a couple of hundred. They then spread that over multiple intakes? So depending on how you fair in the interview/online exam and how long vetting takes you'll be placed in an intake sooner if you do well? For example will the people who do well in this recruitment drive be placed in with people who took longer to get through vetting etc from the last recruitment drive? Or is it even known.

(Never mind my question was basically answered above i didn't see it till now)

Post edited by Murphy2024 on

A few mentioned on here is the GardaIP best place to go to get prepared for the stages? ie numerical reasoning tests especially and is it worth paying for? Obviously I know if you really want it you'll pay for it but just wondering if there's other resources.

Thanks 👍🏼

Im not sure we are meant to mention names of services on this (think it’s a forum rule) but I’ll PM you what I done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Marty1476

I understand what you're saying.

I did 'fail' when I tried to join AGS.

My reason for giving advice is in hope that no one else makes the mistake that I did.

I've been through the aptitudes, medical, and physical exams ,so, I do believe that I have an educated opinion on some of the questions asked on this forum.

Just because I'm not with AGS does not make my experience with the recruitment process invalid.

I'm not really sure why you might have a problem with that but feel free to expand

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ruralevent101

Marty hitting back a month later 👊🏻

been busy :-).

Honestly only here to help, not looking to offend anyone but I do have a good knowledge of what it's like to be left waiting for updates.

This forum is designed to help and not scold.

NO, I'm not AGS. I wish I was. All I'm trying to do is help people not make the mistake I made

What was your mistake?

I made a number of mistakes on my BR form (now Form B) which was the form we had to submit for Garda vetting at the time.

I failed to disclose 'dealings with AGS', if you click on my profile you will see the history of comments I've put up

• Advertisement

How long ago was that?

my last application was for the 2018 campaign, I was told in 2022 that I wasn't successful. Covid had a big part to play in the delay in that

I think it’s just to stop companies that offer the preparation courses from making accounts and saying that they’re brilliant. It’s hard to know what to believe when that starts happening.

I would recommend doing one though. They definitely helped me. You can’t go too far wrong with any of the well established names.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ascull98

would you be able to pm me what you did aswell, or which one you used that you thought best, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭coolio83

Any one any info on the control room operative posts?

Post edited by coolio83 on

• Registered Users Posts: 18 LaCla

I've got the results I've passed the online assessment..now waiting for the next step

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭coolio83

May I ask what region you applied for?

Good luck to everyone doing stage 1 tests from tomorrow om 👍🏼

• Registered Users Posts: 5 BabyScobeMate

Any hints for the written exercise portion?? Anything to look out for??

Try and keep your spelling and grammar as good as you can. Hit the word count/ sentence count.

What are you supposed to be writing about ?

• Advertisement

Has anyone attempted the numerical section yet? If so how was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Alana123

Hey

Thanks 🙂

Is there something counting your word count when you were doing your written exercise?

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Anonymous4321

Does anyone know roughly how many people are put on the merit list per campaign?

Not certain but judging from the comments from last years campaign. There were at least some people in the 1800s after stage 1 on the order of merit. Could be more.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,807 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Mod: Off topic posts deleted. Please keep this thread on topic.

-Shield

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Dublindriver33

I completed the written assessment this morning and made a mess of it, I completed the first scenario and clicked next to go the next one and it saved my progress and logged me out as if I was complete🤬🤬, so I would say that is me gone for this year.

It wasn't very well explained

• Registered Users Posts: 12 garda022

Afaik there was only one scenario?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 sara1999

I think I’m the same , only completed one

• Registered Users Posts: 20 bfg1

I don’t think taht will matter as your not assessed on that until stage 2 from my understanding of it

• Advertisement

Yeah there was only one scenario in the written exercise.

When I finished my written exercise and submitted it Brought me onto another one but my time was up

• Registered Users Posts: 20 bfg1

The numerical part took me well over an hour , does anyone know how time affects your score and even at that I only got about half right ! So disappointed

Strange. I definitely only had 1 written scenario given. It does also state in the Familiarisation booklet that you receive a scenario and answer two questions on it. Doesn't mention there being more then 1 anywhere. I'm also not even sure if i hit the 25-40 sentences mark as i didn't exactly have time to count them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 lunarlane

I'm assuming the grading is outsourced so surely each application will be looked over by human eyes - people can easily hit the 22-45 sentence mark but the quality may be udder shite.

Ya I’m not sure if I reached the amount either just typed as much as I could in the time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 racheldowney2

A lot of people seem to be getting mixed up on exams.

the assessment questionnaire = you’re given options to pick what you’re from good fitness health, team worker, work well the community etc

then you’re given a passage and you have to pick from the four options if the act is good or bad.

the exercise I feel people are talking about it’s the written exercise where you get a passage and you have 30 minutes to say what you would do in this situation. There’s only one passage.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Jimmy.james

Post edited by Jimmy.james on

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Jimmy.james

Post edited by Jimmy.james on

When I completed the scenario I submitted it and then it went onto a different scenario which I didn’t have time to do , how do you find out if your answer was saved or not does anyone know ?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 racheldowney2

What do you mean fault? Like it’s all good if we write in the one box?

• Advertisement
Advertisement